Fog in CMBB/CMAK/CMBO on newer computers; scenarios

Hi!

It has been bothering me for quite some time now that on newer systems fog is no longer working in CMx1 due to a missing feature in current graphics cards called fog table. I tried searching for a solution several time to no avail until a few days ago I have found a way to make it work. After I found it I sawn that it has bee posted on this forum too but in a different topic somewhere down the line so I thought if anyone else is interested maybe it should be in a more visible topic.

So the solution is downloading a DirectDraw wrapper under the following link: https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases/tag/experimental

Download the ddraw.zip, you will find a ddraw.dll inside it and what you have to do is copy this file into the folder where your CMx1 game executable is found. That is the root folder in CMBB and CMBO and \Run in CMAK. That's it. If you run your game this dll will be loaded instead of the offical one and it solves the fog table issue.

I have found one problem on my system that using the nVidia card the game would not run but using the intergrated graphics card it worked like a charm. According to others nVidia should work as well.

One other thing I was wondering is that I have a considerable collection of scenarios for the three CMx1 games, around 2300 for CMBB, 1600 for CMBO and 1100 for CMAK. I don't know if there is any copyright issue with sharing it but if there is none and there are people interested I can make them somehow available. I have checked that the old scenario depot contains around 1100 for the three and that number is 5000 for me.

Zuf

• 8 months later...

CONFIRMED WORKS !!!

For years people were wondering how they can enable cm1 fog on new systems

including myself. I don't have a good program that will take screenshots without coming up black if you know of one let me know so I can add one so you can see.

Any way to pin this for others with CMAK, CMBO and CMBB can now use the fog?

Edited by user1000

Good to know.  I kept some Win 7 machines just for that purpose.  

Contact Bootie re his new site for all the CM1 content.

Can you provide simple crayon level step by step instructions on how to install the new "DirectDraw wrapper".   I clicked on the link but was immediately lost as to what to d/l.  Unfortunately, these days we have to be paranoid about downloading the wrong program.

You just put the file (ddraw.dll) that zuf linked to, into all your Combat Mission 1 games. It goes where the game .exe is located.

If you still don't know or forgot where it is, click the game icon on your desktop, start menu or windows search for the game right click it, a box will pop up at the bottom click open file location and it will take you right to the folder that is where to paste the ddraw.dll to enable fog.

Edited by user1000

11 hours ago, user1000 said:

You just put the file (ddraw.dll) that zuf linked to, into all your Combat Mission 1 games. It goes where the game .exe is located.

If you still don't know or forgot where it is, click the game icon on your desktop, start menu or windows search for the game right click it, a box will pop up at the bottom click open file location and it will take you right to the folder that is where to paste the ddraw.dll to enable fog.

So the file ddraw.dll does not replace anything, one just adds it to the folder where the.exe is located?

If that's all there is to it, that's great!  Thanks...

Edited by Erwin

• 1 year later...
On 9/8/2018 at 1:50 PM, zuf said:

One other thing I was wondering is that I have a considerable collection of scenarios for the three CMx1 games, around 2300 for CMBB, 1600 for CMBO and 1100 for CMAK. I don't know if there is any copyright issue with sharing it but if there is none and there are people interested I can make them somehow available. I have checked that the old scenario depot contains around 1100 for the three and that number is 5000 for me.

Zuf

please get in touch with me -- i can rehost them for you

On 9/8/2018 at 1:50 PM, zuf said:

Zuf

Thanks to ZUF getting in touch with me and sending over the scenarios; they're now available on my website:

Zuf's Scenario Pack for CMx1 Games (92.4 MB ZIP)

Scenario Count:
1,645 x CMBO Scenarios/Campaigns
2,164 x CMBB Scenarios/Campaigns
1,001 x CMAK Scenarios/Campaigns