Sign in to follow this  
JulianJ

Joy, oh Joy, Oh Frabjous day! I've modded a building!

Well, after some trials and tribulations I have successfully modded another Independent building.

It's a whitewashed and weathered barn, suitable for most periods of CM. 

The Town of

Маленький Mayhem

Malenʹkyy Mayhem

is on its way, rather slowly, but I think it will now move foward. 

BTW should I zip it to send it to the two game repositories?  As it is an extra building, not a replacement for existing ones it can be used immediately.

White-Barn.jpg

White-Barn2.jpg

Trumpet flourish: "TA-DAAAAAA!"

The first one's always the hardest. I've said this before, its not til after you've done your third that you finally become confident (that applies to so many things. ;))

Thanks everyone. I've also modded some flavour objects.  [Some stupid fwit in RL was supposed to answer my emails and send me work yesterday.  They didn't, so I was sat at my desk, doing nothing.  Modding was theraputic and stopped me fuming or sending abusive emails.].

Welcome to Little Mayhem

CM-Black-Sea-LittleMayhem-sign.jpg

One other thing, I have chosen to work in "standard definition". I now see why Kieme and others chose HD - the quality is better but it does not match the rest of the buildings and I think that it the potential performance downside is not worth it.  I think many players don't care very much about the buildings.  Which is understandable, I am a bit of a tankie myself and wouldn't want to reduce game effectiveness for the sake of a few nice buildings, which are going to get blown up anyway.

Nice job.  Have you considered some damage or wear and tear on the building walls and roofs? That would help mitigate the "train set building plunked down on the carpet" look.  

Better yet, does the mod include damage to the building?  That will help develop your skills.  Fine job with this, by the way!

The place I recommend you post your finished mod is CMMODSIII.  Contact @Bootie for an author login and upload access.

Edited by Badger73

Hi Erwin and Badger.  The building is actually weathered - and has some minor stains and things.  Perhaps you can't see it in the still I posted.

As it is a modded indie building I thought it would just get the damage textures from the game.  However it is good to check as I haven't done that. Ta!  I'm going to get on the comms net to Bootie now.

Maybe put a few bullet holes and weathering on the sign?  One rarely sees road signs (around here) that have not been abused.  An idea I haven't seen done:  Have a section of the sign broken away.  Am not up on modding tricks.  Can one use an "alpha?" channel to make it transparent to get the effect?  

I can have a go at things like that.  The only limitation is my shaky hands.  I used to be able to paint cap badges on 15mm figures.  That is no longer the case so I don't want to  mess stuff up...I'm going with my limitations.

Frequently.....then I go off in a swoon and don't need to mod anything.  Plus my posting goes asdfhslo 04985023489-30 fjl9ip'a nasf; q .....shine on you crazy diamond....:-)

Update: Modding is proceeding well, though slowly.  I have done two houses plus the barn and some flavour objects.  It's a bit tedious, so I get bored and go off and do other things....bit like building a house I suppose 😉 so will post reports when I feel ready to.