Searching for OOBs Company/Batallion level.

Hi I have recently been playing Normandy, Red Thunder and Last Blitzkrieg also been dabbling with the scenario editor.

I have been trawling the internet tring to find OOBs but with little success. Most go down to Divisonal/Corps level. Even Regimental level is proving difficult to find. The ones that have come up have shown the make up of a Battalion or a company.

I was really trying to find a long list of companies or a break down of Divisons and showing the component parts. My plan is to try and make a semi historical battle. I am not trying to recreate Stalingrad just trying to give a hint of realism, withut just making numbers up...If you see what I mean. Anyway thanks for reading..Any help would be appreciated.

Somebody will probably be along to recommend a source for detailed OOB (they will probably want to know which army / front and time frame you are interested in).

IMO for a semi-historical battle it does not have to be very complicated.  Battlefront goes through a lot of research and effort to provide the TOE of typical battalions and below at full strength (they also provide straggler units).  I would just take what they provide and then weaken the unit the appropriate amount to show attrition from fighting.   Now if you were wanting to make a historical battle with a specific unit on a specific date that would need to be much more detailed and the research effort could be massive.     

Scenario design is fun but is also a lot of work.  If you try to keep it simple you are more likely to get it finished.  :) 

Thank's for the imput..Fully agree with keeping it simple, that's why I mentioned semi-historical battle. I am interested in the eastern front, also the Allied "Or within the limitations of Last Blitzkreig" the American drive into Germany. I thought it would add a touch of realism including formations at company level.

I have a game called Moscow 42 by John Tiller I have to say the oob is very impressive but I can't even play the full campaigns they are so vast and enormous in scale.

I have a few books on the Eastern front and my favourite being the Last Battle ..The Battle for Berlin by Cornilus Ryan. Particularly the battle for the Seelowe heights. Although I gather someone has made a Campaign Called the Last Panzer, this may cover the Seelowe Heights. Again if I do anything I would like to give it a "flavour of the fight". It is very early days and I'm on the very bottom rung of the ladder. I fully agree it should be fun, rather than a task or a job.

Anyway thanks again for the good advice.

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2018 at 3:04 PM, StefanKollers said:

I have a few books on the Eastern front and my favourite being the Last Battle ..The Battle for Berlin by Cornilus Ryan. Particularly the battle for the Seelowe heights. Although I gather someone has made a Campaign Called the Last Panzer, this may cover the Seelowe Heights.

I believe they are working on a Combat Mission that covers the end of the war, so it's likely that game would have that battle right out of the box...

Sorry for the delay in answering. I read the post about up and coming features for the next module. Certainly plenty to be excited about and food for the imagination regarding creating my own scenarios.

I am looking forward to seeing the Berlin maps and a few ad-hoc German units, I doubt I will see the module until next year.......I along with many others will have to be patient. For part I am just learning the game and been adding to the titles regarding WW2, so plenty to keep me occupied throughout what will no doubt be a long dark winter.