Sign in to follow this  
AncientForest

Tank Armor/late war metal shortage

Since Final Blitzkrieg is set towards the end of the war, do German tanks have an inbuilt armor disadvantage in this game? ...to represent the metal shortage of Germany.

Also are the devs still planning DLC for FB as I have noticed for their other games. I also may get fortress italy eventually.

Hmm, it seems the manual does mention the armor hardness.

Panzer VIE Tiger (Late)
The late production model added the Nahverteidigungswaffe close-
defense system and
increased top armor protection; however, many armor plates had a lower standard of
"hardness" due to production shortcuts.

Not sure if the game only represents late designs however. To be honest I only just got the game, and am still playing CMBB also.

Al thou, BF, may represent Quality Shortcoming of Late War German Armor, I wonder if they also represent the Quality Shortcomings of Allied Main Gun Ammunition...Thou, there is probably enough randomness factored in Penetration vs. Armor that it levels out in the end. 

Edited by JoMc67

I recall asking Charles something about the Hetzer armor awhile ago. He told me the bow armor quality was mediocre and the sides were crap. I think he even threw in Brinell hardness numbers. It came as a surprise to discover individual plates can be assigned their own armor quality value. There's more going on 'under the hood' than we realize. 

Late war German tanks and Russian tanks in particular have a much higher chance of interior spalling - pieces of armor breaking off and flying around the interior. I can't recall the last time I saw 'interior spalling' happen on an American tank (or a modern tank). I vaguely recall mention that early war cast hull Shermans were given lower quality armor specs. Sherman appears to get better and better in that regard over time. The M4A3E8 76mm gun Sherman seems to have excellent armor. Too bad its over-matched by big AT guns, making armor quality a moot point. :o

The M4A3E8 76mm gun Sherman seems to have excellent armor. Too bad its over-matched by big AT guns, making armor quality a moot point. :o

23 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I recall asking Charles something about the Hetzer armor awhile ago. He told me the bow armor quality was mediocre and the sides were crap. I think he even threw in Brinell hardness numbers. It came as a surprise to discover individual plates can be assigned their own armor quality value. There's more going on 'under the hood' than we realize. 

Late war German tanks and Russian tanks in particular have a much higher chance of interior spalling - pieces of armor breaking off and flying around the interior. I can't recall the last time I saw 'interior spalling' happen on an American tank (or a modern tank). I vaguely recall mention that early war cast hull Shermans were given lower quality armor specs. Sherman appears to get better and better in that regard over time. The M4A3E8 76mm gun Sherman seems to have excellent armor. Too bad its over-matched by big AT guns, making armor quality a moot point. :o

Well at least when the projectile comes through there won't be too much spalling!