Idea: Troops on "hunt" should drop down if they take fire

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Have any tests been done on how units react on MOVE?   IN CM1 it was very bad/risky to use MOVE unless one was 100% sure there were no enemy in the vicinity. 

However, in CM2, I get the sense that MOVE is more akin to "HUNT LITE" and am starting to use it more and more when it is merely possible (as opposed to highly likely) there is enemy in the vicinity.  When shot at, units on MOVE are not as vulnerable as they were in CM1.

I agree on this; Move seems to have decent spotting and no more vulnerability to an initial attack than Hunt. The problem is that they switch to Quick when fired upon, which can make them more vulnerable. Using short waypoints helps.

I think v 4 helps make Move more viable since troops don’t form a conga line. 

Edited by General Liederkranz

16 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

A second version of this order could perhaps be something like LOW AND SLOW...The troops will move forward in a crouched mode with weapons at the ready and not stop until they take some serious fire/ casualties (like other movement options). This option should keep the stealthyness of the original HUNT command. 

Wasn't Move to contact in CMx1 like that? ISTR something along those lines.

Michael

Tangentially related: I thought an interesting in game way to simulate the 'Hit the dirt!' reflex of infantry to incoming OBA shells (not mortars) in game would be to have 2 'rounds' closely spaced, but one making no sound, invisible and doing no damage, just triggering the protective reaction in the pixeljoes a second before the real round arrives....

1 hour ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Tangentially related: I thought an interesting in game way to simulate the 'Hit the dirt!' reflex of infantry to incoming OBA shells (not mortars) in game would be to have 2 'rounds' closely spaced, but one making no sound, invisible and doing no damage, just triggering the protective reaction in the pixeljoes a second before the real round arrives....

The game already has the guys shout "incoming!" about 1-2 seconds before the rounds hit, so they are currently able to detect shells in flight. However, they don't seem to duck down before taking suppression from the explosions, which is often too late.