beta tester?

Just now, wgbn1968 said:

Yes

Well as far as I know they reach out to you on some mysterious basis. Not sure how I got in, they must have mistaken me for someone else. But you have apparently just started posting so they can’t really know you.  It isn’t like there is a sign up sheet. To my knowledge anyway. 

9 hours ago, wgbn1968 said:

So only on the basis of AAR?

Only on the basis of you hearing from BF, not the other way round. At least as far as I know.  Usually you don't ask to be a beta tester, you are asked to be a beta tester.  But hey it can't hurt to ask, but that isn't likely something I would do on the forum.  I'd contact BF directly.

1 hour ago, c3k said:

And looks. Good looks in a smoking jacket are a must.

My intern assists with my sartorial forays.

yes technically it is a "smoking" jacket when you let your cigar fall on it, but I keep telling you -  that... thing … is not a genuine smoking jacket.

15 hours ago, George MC said:

Sudden decapitation at the hands of an angry mob is an occupational hazard for a beta tester. Those who survive the first few days learn to run really fast and hide. 

Best not to tell him about the pit full of venomous snakes part of the initiation process. They only bite though if you move, which is hard not to do if Steve decides to send a powerful jolt of electricity through the electrodes that are attached to your private parts. He does that at random unpredictable intervals and then cackles insanely.

Michael

12 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Best not to tell him about the pit full of venomous snakes part of the initiation process. They only bite though if you move, which is hard not to do if Steve decides to send a powerful jolt of electricity through the electrodes that are attached to your private parts. He does that at random unpredictable intervals and then cackles insanely.

Michael

while spraying you with a garden hose.

Once invited, one must look deep into the abyss within a sterile, controlled environment (deep in to woods of Maine, down a flight of very long, dark home-cobbled stairs), then make a scenario that reflects the essence of their experience. That seems to be the deciding factor in acceptance. These scenarios are then stored by Steve and Charles in something they call the "Soul Vault". There might just be some great 1960's and early 1970's record-albums in there, but...I think not, due to the weird blue vapors emanating from it.

The audio tape of my experience in the "Learning Chamber" (which Steve mails to those accepted in a plain manila envelope after 5 years) sits on my desk, unopened after receiving it a few years ago. I did tear it open enough to see a single image within, and it was this:

597eb436b6f2a_CMRedThunder2017-07-3019-20-32-43.jpg.4226fbba4830b0ed0ede295fc90f8fdd.thumb.jpg.a2601f313a2ab747ad5dcc79a3670d24.jpg

Edited by benpark

Aaaaaaaaaaand these are why we don't show screenshots until we are ready doing the equations. Multiplying the tonnage equations for those bridges was very difficult, even with the color coding. So many instances of sinkage when even a Kübelwagen drove over! Can YOU spot the error based upon the numbers on screen?

An advanced degree in maths is generally preferred, but not required. When we "live-sim", that's when we need testing participants. Someone has to test the weights based upon our work (which often has to be ciphered out between 4-5 of us). Plenty of initial errors, but we eventually get it right. We do lose a few "under-map" testers, but that just means they no longer technically exist.

15 hours ago, benpark said:

The audio tape of my experience in the "Learning Chamber" (which Steve mails to those accepted in a plain manila envelope after 5 years) sits on my desk, unopened after receiving it a few years ago. I did tear it open enough to see a single image within, and it was this:

597eb436b6f2a_CMRedThunder2017-07-3019-20-32-43.jpg.4226fbba4830b0ed0ede295fc90f8fdd.thumb.jpg.a2601f313a2ab747ad5dcc79a3670d24.jpg

Okay that just looks like the top of Batman's head. :P

But as it revealed itself, it looked like the bottom half of the face of Rodney Dangerfield, with a giraffe's body.

But seriously- It might help if you contribute scenarios/campaigns, help others out with testing, at least have a passing knowledge of the Editor, and generally are a knowledgeable person that is able to work well with others on timelines (a small majority of humans are able to do this, apparently), that might be a good start. It's ultimately up to BFC!

Edited by benpark