Night Vision Googles: Always wanted to know

Sequoia

deer in the headlights I believe.  One of the things the Mahdi used to do in Sadr city is set up lights on generators and if the US raided at night they'd kick on the lights to take away the night vision advantage.

That is sometime ago and that may have changed since.

28 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Damn, can't edit titles.

Also can you use night vision googles in the dessert?

As long as you keep them out of the whipped cream.

Mord.

P.S. Now he's just trolling us.

Edited by Mord

8 hours ago, Sequoia said:

But seriously, I'm guessing the wearer would be blinded for some time right?

The more advanced image-intensification systems have "auto-gating": 

"This maintains the optimum performance of the I² tube, continuously revealing mission critical details, safeguarding the I² tube from additional damage and protecting the user from temporary blindness. The benefits of ATG can easily be seen not only during day-night-day transitions, but also under dynamic lighting conditions when rapidly changing from low light to high light conditions (above 1 lx), such as sudden illumination of dark room. A typical advantage of ATG is best felt when using a weapon sight which experiences a flame burst during shooting (see figures below showing pictures taken at the impact zone of a dropped bomb). ATG would reduce the temporary blindness that a standard BSP tube would introduce, allowing them to continuously maintain “eyes on target”."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_vision_device#Auto-gating

Googling around, it looks like the US PVS-14 is auto-gated. 

Edited by General Liederkranz

On 8/18/2018 at 7:17 AM, Sequoia said:

So what happens if you're wearing night vision equipment and all of a sudden a flare or other bright source of light appears?

If the light is hitting the lens directly it'll just flare up and you won't be able to see much. That's all. You don't go blind or anything. The eye that isn't covered(in the case of PVS-14s) will adjust pretty quick, but it is quite a shock.

On 8/18/2018 at 9:21 AM, Sequoia said:

Also can you use night vision googles in the dessert

As long as there is some form of light (IR flood, star light, or moon light) you can see.

Driving with them on sucks, fortunately I was a gunner and didn't do much night driving.