Mord's Mods: Red Thunder Edition

Mord

21 minutes ago, Mord said:

Base game portraits are finally finished. A lot changed. They are up at CMMODS.

As it stands right now there are 2500+ portraits for the module version of this mod (which isn't done yet), and just over 1200 for the base game.

Have fun.

Mord.

Amazing stuff, cant wait to try it out! Thanks!

58 minutes ago, Mord said:

+1  Thanks my friend!!!  Very well done.  So many choices to choose from!!!  I left a comment at CMMODS also.  Said comment is just waiting approval before it is displayed.  This mod goes very nicely with your menu splash screen mod.  Both are very cool.  Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, Mord said:

As it stands right now there are 2500+ portraits for the module version of this mod (which isn't done yet), and just over 1200 for the base game.

XvmhdS8.jpg

Have fun.

Mord.

Holly crap !!

They are moving alone !!

So nice and so real thank you Mord for this amazing job...

1 hour ago, sburke said:

Mord is back with a bullet!  (vague reference to Zappa Filmore East there, but w/o the mud shark or creamed corn....)

Mord is like K, Jagerfeld, L, Vitton, Ch, Dior...contempling and dressing his models with passion, finesse and patience ...a scarf left and a hat smaller, and a red a little more clear to the right..than ready for the big defiler, for ours eyes on the carpet of mods ...;)

Edited by 3j2m7

Thanks very much guys. I hadn't been posting much because I found the constant updates were taking too much time and distracting me from getting stuff done. I actually had to take one full week off because my eye was starting to get too muddled and I found I was making too many bad choices. To give it some perspective, I redid the Herr armor and armored infantry four times and the PzGr twice! Just those adds up to 1388 portraits. That's more than what I released for this version! Stepping away for a bit helped recharge my batteries and refocus. I was becoming really fatigued. But if you guys like this, just think, it is just under half of what I am creating for this mod. I am going balls out to make it as accurate as I can within the limits of the game to give the Ostfront the detail it deserves. There is way more to come for the module version. I think you will be really happy. I have to say I am very proud of what I have gotten done so far, and it is the best work I have done in my modding life to this point.

@Aragorn2002 I gave you a little compromise knowing you are a GD fan, so you got two types of helmets for them. Glad you like the battalion/Kompanie versions, I figured you dig them.

@Erwin He's looking to the right, it's hard to tell, but it was a compromise. I tried adding dots but I didn't like it. Once you acclimate your brain to it you'll see it.

@MOS:92B2P Just wait, you'll have double the choices. There are a lot of surprises coming in the module version!

@Ironsturm I was just typing about that. See the following.

I wanna leave you guys with one little portrait I designed to give you an idea of how dedicated I am to making this the best it can be. I needed something for the Heavy Panzer Abts that would distinguish them form the Panzer divisions. So I decided to use the Heer armored infantry guy that I had originally used as a place holder when I first posted about this mod.

So first I went with this:

WgK6lwz.png

I looked at it for a while and thought that's not right, he just looks like an infantry guy wearing his side cap.

So I designed some collar boards, and started working on his cap, bringing out the insignia colors to make it more in line with an armor uniform.

lmPNzyZ.png

It still didn't look right. Then I realized the collar boards weren't the right color and that he was missing the skull pips and needed the eagle on his cap to stand out more.

So, I ended up with this.

qDg3vNk.jpg

LOL But now I just realized I will need to fix this again, when I update the mod because only assault gun crews have green side caps. Tankers wear both black and green uniforms but apparently only the officer has a green hat, side caps are always black.

ATTENTION TO DETAIL!

Anyway, there you go. That's a fraction of what has gone into the creation of this mod, just figured I tell you guys about it.

Mord.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 12:58 PM, Erwin said:

It shows Mord.  Well done!

Thank you!

On 9/25/2018 at 9:15 PM, Zveroboy1 said:

Thanks for sharing these. It clearly shows you put a lot of work into them.

You're welcome! I have and there is still more to do!

New Panzer Abt portrait.

RkLowuA.jpg

Mord.

Again, very nice graphics work! - The attention to detail clearly shows. I still have some constructive criticism on the s.pzabt portrait: The jacket is wrong for a panzer man. - The waffenrock was used for parade, but then with litzen and not the panzer deathshead. - The black panzer wrap would be the standard field attire for panzer men as you know. Another thing that seems unatural for a crewman to wear is the straps across his shoulders. - Inside a vehicle these will snag up.  - My suggestion would be to remove the straps if you do decide to keep the uniform as is.

I wanted something to distinguish the Heavy Abts from the typical Panzer crews. So, I opted for this uniform here:

labelled "smod_german_wrap_crew-tank_uniform 2" found in brz v1.00.a under soldiers/uniforms

GnrOZit.jpg

otKl54Y.jpg

That's what the portrait is supposed to be representing. Yeah, the collar tabs could probably be smaller but it's trying to convey that he is a tanker in a very confined amount of space, so some liberties need to be taken. The straps are from his weapon and binoculars, but the pic isn't necessarily a literal representation of how the guy looks when he's in the tank, it's just a portrait to convey he's a crewman. I mean looking at him, there is no tank anywhere.

Anyway, thanks. I'll ponder these suggestions but can't make any promises as to whether I'll change him again.

Mord.

12 hours ago, SchnelleMeyer said:

Another thing that seems unatural for a crewman to wear is the straps across his shoulders. - Inside a vehicle these will snag up.  - My suggestion would be to remove the straps if you do decide to keep the uniform as is.

Man, I am stupid. I forgot that the above pic isn't how it will appear in the game. There is no plain version for the Pz Abts.  DUH! The left strap won't even be seen in game, it's covered by a shield, so it's a non-problem. I showed it like this to keep focus on the unit. Anyway, I went ahead and removed the middle strap, widened the collar, shrank the collar tabs and added folds at the breast to better look like the uniform jacket above.

emePaCv.jpg

Thanks for bringing it up, I think it looks more like a Pz uni now. At least I hope so, this about the fifth time I have worked on this dude.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

24 minutes ago, Mord said:

Anyway, I went ahead and removed the middle strap, widened the collar, shrank the collar tabs and added folds at the breast to better look like the uniform jacket above.

Mord, again your results with these portrait mods are really stunning and I think a lot of it is caused by your attention to detail and thoroughness.

Thanks, man! I spent the last three hours dicking with him. It took about 7 iterations to get everything adjusted. Thank god for templates! LOL.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Good catch. I had to bring the collars and jacket folds in line with the original pic. The collars, the jacket fold (two of them) and the collar tabs, were all individually cut and pasted from the uniform bmp up above and worked into the portrait.

Mord.

Mord,

Sheer genius!!  Your work is amazing.  I love your attention to detail.  It is pretty cool seeing how you worked from version to version, and then ending up with your final.  You had to be going cross-eyed many times over with all these portraits.

Really great job.  Thanks for all your detail work.

Heinrich505

Thank you so much! Yeah, there were a couple that drove me crazy, but mostly it was the work of redoing all the files after I changed the design. It can be incredibly repetitive and carpol tunnel inducing! There are 900+ Heer infantry and I redid those a couple of times but luckily I was only half done each time. This guy wasn't too bad because there's only a few, maybe 20+ portraits so it goes fairly quickly.

Mord.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This looks awesome - anybody have a download link for the portraits.

Found a FI mod on CMMODS IV, looking for the RT one in this thread.

Nevermind found it on the  CMMODS III site.

Edited by AVR
Found answer