Mord's Mods: Red Thunder Edition

Mord

6 hours ago, Mord said:

Been trying to nail down the Heer armored infantry. I pretty much know which one I am gonna go with. I've put about six hours in, between the two of them. Neither is perfect. But one I like better than the other.

iILIEq3.jpg

What do you guys think? I'll tell you my choice later so as not to influence your eyes.

Once I make a decision on this PIA jerk,  I'll really be able to rip on getting this mod wrapped up, at least for the base game version.

Mord.

For me the helmet with rope, Mord (so the first one from the left in the upper pictures). Without any doubt.

With regard to the splash screen. Number 1 (T-34/85) is my favorite. Looks stunning.

Edited by Aragorn2002

I also found an emblem sheet for modelers, but it appears the symbols are listed sequentially. Without a key I only know what a few of them are. I don't know how many are brigades or corps. There's about 60 I could use so it would be cool, but if I can't identify all of them it backs me into a corner.

Just ask and here it is ! :D

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/112902-german-soviet-other-nations-unit-insignia/

The pictures are also in great resolution.

What do you guys think? I'll tell you my choice later so as not to influence your eyes.

A little hard to say... I like them both. The first one is more in the spirit of the other ones and more similar to the infantry one
The other one is more similar to the tanker one (dark) and it seems he wear a panzerwrap (exclusivity of stug crew and some panzegrenadier gepanzert).

That say, I think I prefer the first for the posture the soldier have.

Regards,
ironsturm

Are you also planning to make winterized icons when the module will be released, Mord? I know it sounds greedy, but that would be great too. I've just recieved my copy of 'Winter uniforms of the German army and Luftwaffe in ww II' by Vincent Siegers, which inspired my question.

Edited by Aragorn2002

By process of elimination:

The guy with the cap says "Armor".

Plain helmet and uniform says "Regular Inf".

That leaves the netting.  But what about camo helmet and uniform?  Or is that reserved for SS?

To distinguish between inf and armored inf, how about goggles for the mech troops?

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

By process of elimination:

The guy with the cap says "Armor".

Plain helmet and uniform says "Regular Inf".

That leaves the netting.  But what about camo helmet and uniform?  Or is that reserved for SS?

To distinguish between inf and armored inf, how about goggles for the mech troops?

That's a good suggestion since the german smock was not common and primarly gave to "elite" units like Panzer Division and was generally very uncommon in infantry division.

It was mainly the spliner camo used by the Heer. The SS used mainly Oak Leaf and Pea Dot versions.

image.thumb.png.ed7a08e4df2109c11124c187e3cc8f02.png

Here an example of splinter helmet cover (21.PzD in Normandy) while in this case they wear zeltbahn (and not smock).

Regards,

11 hours ago, ironsturm said:

Just ask and here it is ! :D

You are the man, Ironsturm! I have been staring at that decal sheet for a month, wondering what was what and fantasizing about possibly using them. Seems a good portion are unidentified but I'll probably go for it anyway.

2 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Are you also planning to make winterized icons when the module will be released, Mord? I know it sounds greedy, but that would be great too.

I've been dreading this question. I knew it would come. LOL. I don't know for sure. I toyed with the idea, the problem is it's taken me about three weeks + just to get to this point with the regular RT portraits. I still haven't locked in what they all will be. There are more portraits at play than you guys have seen or would think of, going by what the game uses. I am saving most of those (and the other backgrounds) for the module release of this mod, so you guy's will have a bunch of new stuff to use when it comes out. There's a lot of I am not showing you. And once I do it for this mod I'll have to do it for FB and FI because my OCD will compel me! So, that means double the portraits. Not too big a deal for RT but that's another 13 (along with the mystery portraits ) I have to find and edit and fight to make fit into the design. I have a bunch of winter uniform pics already but it doesn't mean they'll be any good.

LOL. Now, you add in FB and FI, I'd have to come up with 2 seasons of pics for all the US, Germans, British, Canadians, Polish, French, South Africans, Indians, and NZ. Plus all the specialized portraits, black us forces, rangers, Maori, Gurkhas, and whatever else I can't think of. It's a couple months on top of just redoing the original mods. The two main questions is, can it be done, and is it work it?

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Traditionally, I usually leave any camo for the armored SS Inf. Chicken wire on the helmet for Heer Arm Inf. I want to have a classic (iconic) look for the Heer, as far as uniform and helmet goes in the portrait.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

I may have another use for those, but it fits your idea.

11 hours ago, AlexUK said:

The ones on the left seem to fit better with the other portraits.

LOL. That's probably because he is using the Heer Infantry guy's body! I am just not real happy with him and now, Ironsturm gave me an idea for the other guy (which saves some work adds some work). So, it may be back to the drawing board. The unfortunate thing is I went ahead and made a decision last night, so I'll have to redo another 84 portraits!

Mord.

10 hours ago, Mord said:

I've been dreading this question. I knew it would come. LOL. I don't know for sure. I toyed with the idea, the problem is it's taken me about three weeks + just to get to this point with the regular RT portraits. I still haven't locked in what they all will be. There are more portraits at play than you guys have seen or would think of, going by what the game uses. I am saving most of those (and the other backgrounds) for the module release of this mod, so you guy's will have a bunch of new stuff to use when it comes out. There's a lot of I am not showing you. And once I do it for this mod I'll have to do it for FB and FI because my OCD will compel me! So, that means double the portraits. Not too big a deal for RT but that's another 13 (along with the mystery portraits ) I have to find and edit and fight to make fit into the design. I have a bunch of winter uniform pics already but it doesn't mean they'll be any good.

LOL. Now, you add in FB and FI, I'd have to come up with 2 seasons of pics for all the US, Germans, British, Canadians, Polish, French, South Africans, Indians, and NZ. Plus all the specialized portraits, black us forces, rangers, Maori, Gurkhas, and whatever else I can't think of. It's a couple months on top of just redoing the original mods. The two main questions is, can it be done, and is it work it?

Mord.

In that case forgive me my creedy question, Mord. To be honest I'm already perfectly happy with your present icons. The icons you're working on now are superb and winter icons aren't really necessary. It just shows that people like me are never satisfied. 🙂

No, I get it. JuJu set a president with his seasonal portraits. But he was much smarter than me with his design style. By recoloring black and white pics with two tones (flesh and olive) he was able to tie a lot of disparate pics into a cohesive look. He even took color pics (some of them from models) turned them to black and white, then colored them. You'd be hard pressed to know which of those portraits are actually not real people. And you'd be hard pressed to find one that felt like it didn't belong.  It was damned ingenious, and by doing it he avoided a lot of the problems I am having. I actually considered it but I didn't want to copy him, and I stumbled across the Russian tanker and then that was all she wrote!

So, no worries my man. I get it.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Sometimes I imagine you guys saying to yourself, why is he so picky? Why is he always changing things, that last portrait looked fine etc. I imagine you saying that about the armored infantry pics I posted above. Well, here is a case in point. I've had a guy picked out for the Heer PzGr for about a week. I have been staring at him off and on, trying to decide when I was gonna go ahead and make him a keeper but I wasn't completely happy with him.

TGvUe0j.jpg

I mean, off hand he is pretty decent. Passable. Most people would dig him. But the lack of any definition in his face was really, really, really, bugging me. The color just looked too flat, which tends to happen when you shrink pics. So, I said let me check some stuff and see if I have any pics I can use to maybe blend and give him some depth. So I cut out a face and worked some magic. I grabbed me some goggles (told you I had an idea for them, Erwin) and got exactly what I wanted with about an hour of work. This wasn't skill, it's one of those moments where I get lucky as hell and have enough knowledge in Elements to pull it off. So, this is why I get so anal. Because when I really push myself sometimes good things happen. He looks way better than the guy above. Gents, here is your Heer Panzer Grenadier. Hope you like him.

VwynyCt.jpg

EDITED: Now the dang Pz Commander is starting to look out of place. Rrrrrrrrr!

Mord.

Edited by Mord

It was to differentiate the PzGr divisions from the armored infantry Panzer divisions. I try to give every infantry type it's own style. To do one variant on the PzGr Div would be another 65 portraits. However, to do one variant on a Heer infantry would be 940, that's how many of those guys there are!

Mord.

5 hours ago, Mord said:

It was to differentiate the PzGr divisions from the armored infantry Panzer divisions. I try to give every infantry type it's own style. To do one variant on the PzGr Div would be another 65 portraits. However, to do one variant on a Heer infantry would be 940, that's how many of those guys there are!

Mord.

I'm even more beginning to realize how much you're doing for this community...Those projects are huge.

9 hours ago, Mord said:

Now the dang Pz Commander is starting to look out of place.

He looks fine even though (am assuming ) you think he's out of place cos his body and face are facing a different direction. 

If all the pics look as if they are the same but one has photoshopped different headwear or jacket on em, it actually makes it a little harder to distinguish them apart when one quickly glances at them.   And let's face it, players don't spend a lot of time staring at these portraits.  Perhaps move on to something else and if this image is still irritating when all else is completed redo at that time.

Roughly there are 247 German divisions in RT. That includes doubling the portraits for Heer Pz and armored infantry, and SS Pz and SS armored Infantry because they share a shield. So not counting all the generic versions, summer background, summer background with flag etc. there will be 1729+ portraits just for the Germans for the module version of this mod. And trust me that is very conservative, because I left out some stuff I haven't even begun to tally. The math works out to 1 division x 7 backgrounds. You guys won't have to wait for all that though. I am concentrating on getting the base game stuff finished first. The goal is to make this as comprehensive as the BN and FI mods but with better graphics.

Mord.

6 hours ago, Mord said:

No, not the facing, the coloring.

Mord.

Didn't even notice that aspect, Mord.   But, yes now you mention it, the armor commander has a more sophisticated/realistic face coloring and does look better.

Edited by Erwin

11 hours ago, Mord said:

Roughly there are 247 German divisions in RT. That includes doubling the portraits for Heer Pz and armored infantry, and SS Pz and SS armored Infantry because they share a shield. So not counting all the generic versions, summer background, summer background with flag etc. there will be 1729+ portraits just for the Germans for the module version of this mod. And trust me that is very conservative, because I left out some stuff I haven't even begun to tally. The math works out to 1 division x 7 backgrounds. You guys won't have to wait for all that though. I am concentrating on getting the base game stuff finished first. The goal is to make this as comprehensive as the BN and FI mods but with better graphics.

Mord.

Could be perhaps interresting for you, to know what kind of background are the most loving and used by the fans in the forrum, this will make your huge job more easier.

Have perhaps to make a vote to know...

• 3 weeks later...

Base game portraits are finally finished. A lot changed. They are up at CMMODS.

As it stands right now there are 2500+ portraits for the module version of this mod (which isn't done yet), and just over 1200 for the base game.

XvmhdS8.jpg

Have fun.

Mord.