Mord's Mods: Red Thunder Edition

Mord

Ok, seeing that the main focus is RT at the moment, it's time to migrate this from the General Mods Forum.

Anyone interested can catch up here:

Refresher:

Old vs new portraits.

CMgjq2Y.jpg

The new portraits together.

XSNaaXt.jpg

Their context within (JuJu's awesome) game UI.

ygZoQqt.jpg

@Badger73 "These are stunning, @Mord.  I might quibble with your choices for Heer Panzer and Heer Panzergrenadieren.  I thought German army tankers wore a black coverall of sorts and a tanker's beret.  I think the German army armored infantry should have steel helmets.  I look forward very much to your finished work.  Good luck with this."

Ok. Well, it didn't take long for one of them. I am fairly confident this one is a keeper. I am pretty happy with the way it looks and the way it fits into the rest of the design.

This German panzer commander strikes a gallant pose, a fitting nemesis for the awesome Soviet tanker (which happens to be one favorite portraits).

1eSPKpj.jpg

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Thanks @Aragorn2002. This is the evolution stemming from that brief discussion (about being ready for the RT module) we had a few months ago. Much better than I was anticipating back then.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

One small idea - what would it look like if there is a slight shade framing the outlines of the portraits to make them look indented in the UI? Compare to the other "boxes" of JuJu's interface and all icons etc look like they are indented and "below" the surface of the UI.

Sorry man, that's a can of wasp-worms I don't want to even open. One reason being I'd have to design an overlay and test it. The other being JuJu's portraits are all on a flat background sharing the same color, I have 6 backgrounds just for the Germans, all in varied styles and colors (that's not counting all the symbol backgrounds), I doubt it would look like what you are hoping. And trying to figure it out would side track me and cost me too much time. I get what you are saying though.

Mord.

Ok, worked some magic on the Heer Armored Infantry. Looks better than the other one, I think. Probably gotta adjust the color on his uniform a bit, seems too bright to me.

zyuF1gF.jpg

So, what do you think? Improvement?

Mord.

10 hours ago, Mord said:

Ok, worked some magic on the Heer Armored Infantry. Looks better than the other one, I think. Probably gotta adjust the color on his uniform a bit, seems too bright to me.

zyuF1gF.jpg

So, what do you think? Improvement?

Mord.

Yes, even better Mord. I absolutely love it.

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 8/17/2018 at 9:06 AM, DerKommissar said:

However, I am slightly confused. Where's the cat memes?

In the tank with the chicks.

On 8/17/2018 at 4:50 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

Yes, even better Mord. I absolutely love it. 

Excellent.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:13 AM, Erwin said:

Yes, very subtle but definitely an improvement. You're on a roll, Mord.

LOL. Which pic were you looking at? The pic Aragorn quoted has the new guy vs the old. The new dude is wearing the helmet, the old guy has a cap. Or did you mean subtle compared to the Heer Infantry? But anyhoo, thanks. I am happy all you guys are responding with enthusiasm, means I am on the right track.

Mord.

17 hours ago, Mord said:

Did you notice the Ruskies even get some minor formation insignia this time? Brand new to this mod.

Wow.. it just got even better! Where were you able to find that information? 

The samples look amazing. 

Edited by Fizou

7 hours ago, Fizou said:

Wow.. it just got even better! Where were you able to find that information? 

I stumbled across Earl Grey's splash screen for his old CMBB portrait mod on CMMODs. And it gave me the idea of how to finally give the Russians at least some generic formation insignia. Then about a week later I found a chart with all the Soviet WWII collar boards. So, I was able to design my own insignia. Funny how that works. I spent many hours on the original version of this mod searching for anything I might be able to use for the Russian formations and came up empty. Now years later it finally happens, mostly by accident.

The Russians apparently didn't use divisional insignia. So I figured I'd go for either higher or lower insignia, but all I could find was a few corps or brigade samples. But It's not enough and there'd be too many holes.

7 hours ago, Fizou said:

The samples look amazing.

Awesome. Thanks!

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Hello all,

For those, interested in the soviet army there is really lots of information in these book.

If you want some informations Mord, I can send you pictures (eg there is a board for the collar)

image.png.5316264bcc9ea5fb76871f4d2d787e5d.png

PS: Just for information, since CMRT is (actually) from 1944 to 1945 (soon), I think that collar insignia would be better put on shoulder boards. Collar boards were used until 1943 on M29 and M35 uniforms. It's a M35 on the book.  Then by order of Stalin and for waking up the russian patriotism, the old tsarist shoulder boards came back with the new M43 uniform. It's the M43 that is used in CMRT. The old M35 uniforms were converted in M35/43 by the suppression of collar board and addition of shoulder boards.

image.thumb.png.ed9be5bcbd1e2fed6deca8897e21d29f.png

Regards,
ironsturm

1 hour ago, ironsturm said:

Really big improvement. They're awesome.

Thanks very much!

The pic you posted is one of the ones I found! I recognized it right away. I got very familiar with it last week. Spent a couple hours deleting, resizing and redesigning them for the mod. It was fun after waiting about four years to find them.

The shoulder/collar boards in the mod are just an artistic design to give the Russians something besides plain pictures. Like the shields are an artistic design to display the insignia for the Germans. I needed a form to tie the theme together so I used collar and shoulder boards (shoulder boards aren't shown) The collar boards on the actual portrait are also an artistic design, just a bit of detail to add some subtle flair to the pic and differentiate between armored and regular infantry.

Do you have any info on Russian Corps or Brigade insignia/symbols/markings by any chance? I found a website a long time ago but there are tons of holes in it.

Mord.

Unfortunately, I haven't much info about insignia for soviets units. I don't think they really used it. I know they had flags and some tactical markings.

There is some infos, you can find here. This link give you some infos about some soviet tank corps. It's a russian website only about tanks/mechanized troop. Moreover it's also a goldmine where you can find compositions of soviet tank corps and which tank types (T34/76, T34/85 etc) they used. Great for designers.

http://tankfront.ru/ussr/oz.html

You can use google translate if necessary.

I also just find this one, while writing.

http://wio.ru/tank/oz/oz.htm

Regards,

ironsturm

Thanks for the effort. Yeah, the second one is the one I mentioned above. I found it years ago. I could make use of the emblems but it wouldn't even be in the neighborhood of comprehensive. The only way the first site would benefit me is if they showed the tactical/brigade/corps  symbols/emblems/markings like the second one does. I went through about three of the links and their sub-links but all I saw was lists. I need info + pictures of the markings.

I also found an emblem sheet for modelers, but it appears the symbols are listed sequentially. Without a key I only know what a few of them are. I don't know how many are brigades or corps. There's about 60 I could use so it would be cool, but if I can't identify all of them it backs me into a corner.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ce/03/e8/ce03e8e6ca4a1ede54175338c8979d03.jpg

Mord.

Edited by Mord

My favorite is "3".  The tank and BG sky is most dramatic and the text style was best.  However, the text could still be a bit more historical/cyrillic.  Maybe make it 3D-ish - like the way the Russians write on their memorials & coins (if you know what I mean?).

220px-Eternal_Flame%2C_Obelisk_of_Glory%

220px-5011-0005-reverse.gif

31 minutes ago, Erwin said:

My favorite is "3".  The tank and BG sky is most dramatic and the text style was best.  However, the text could still be a bit more historical/Cyrillic.  Maybe make it 3D-ish - like the way the Russians write on their memorials & coins (if you know what I mean?).

Yep. I went through every option Adobe had and raising the letters (beveling) just looked bad. The best I could do was a drop shadow to get it off the page (see, told you I was a DS fan!). As far as the Cyrillic, I'll make that an option when I do another version. With this new version I was more trying to put my own spin on BFC's RT logo—familiar yet different. I kinda dig the Combat Mission Logo too, thought it looked Russiany without getting to crazy. I do have some other fonts that would work real well with a more Cyrillic style. So, some time down the road I will return to it.

And now...

Been trying to nail down the Heer armored infantry. I pretty much know which one I am gonna go with. I've put about six hours in, between the two of them. Neither is perfect. But one I like better than the other.

iILIEq3.jpg

What do you guys think? I'll tell you my choice later so as not to influence your eyes.

Once I make a decision on this PIA jerk,  I'll really be able to rip on getting this mod wrapped up, at least for the base game version.

Mord.

Edited by Mord