Mord's Mods (Special Announcement)

Mord

9 hours ago, Peter Panzer said:

Ah, the The Dark One sleeps no more.

Well Mord, it looks like the latest round of spike tongued invocations you have offered up to whatever pantheon of Lovecraftian horrors loaning you talent has paid off - again.

What a debut - The SS Panzer and British Para are absolutely cracking.  I am excited to see your treatment of the US and remainder of the Commonwealth forces.

Well done on recognizing the point of diminishing returns on your previous work and mapping a new path of creative growth - that's artistic wisdom.  For those who haven't tuned into the whispers in the darkness yet, Mord's a mighty gifted dude - just wait and see.

LOL. I always enjoy your critiques and praise. Thanks, man.

Yes, it is quite a step from the previous renditions and I am really pumped about the leap I have taken. It's inspiring to have a fresh take on my signature mod after all this time and all the versions I have done.

+100 on all the Lovecrafty references.

@ithikial_AU @para Thanks my friends!

Mord.

Edited by Mord

34 minutes ago, 3j2m7 said:

.they are looking Hells amazing Mord, you don’t win only ours admirations but win the title of “Hells portraits Master”.

I'll take it! One more for my collection!

Mord.

15 hours ago, Mord said:

Thanks very much. Yes, tweaking is a friggin' nightmare but it's what leads us from good to awesome. I still have quite a few to do. But once I get them locked down the rest is simple by comparison. I couldn't release the mod now even if I wanted too because there are still holes that need to be filled. I still haven't got a decent LW Armor guy, etc.

Mord.

No rush intended! 

You may want to look into concept art for video games, such as the older Medal of Honor games or the first Company of Heroes. You might be able to find some good portraits in there. Though I have to say, the ones you have shown off in this thread are pretty amazing, so whatever your source is keep using it!

11 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

You may want to look into concept art for video games, such as the older Medal of Honor games or the first Company of Heroes. You might be able to find some good portraits in there. Though I have to say, the ones you have shown off in this thread are pretty amazing, so whatever your source is keep using it!

Sure, I'll give that a look. I am basically taking pics from where ever I can find them. It's a real struggle because I am fighting two things. 1.) Trying to keep all the portraits looking like they are from the same design and not a motley collection of disparate styles. And 2.) Finding something really cool looking then having it be unusable after the backgrounds are deleted and they are shrunk down. So many awesome candidates have become complete crap once they get below a certain size. Only having a 51x57 pixel area really stresses one's ability to create!

Mord.

2 hours ago, Badger73 said:

@Mord If you haven't already seen these . . .

Thanks, Badger. I have seen a bunch of them. Problem is finding just that right one. I'll dig through them when I have some time.

BUT, take a peak in the RT mod thread I started. I believe you will be happy.

@Erwin: LOL. Almost tempting...almost.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

On 8/16/2018 at 12:30 AM, Mord said:

Welp, that's about it. I was gonna keep all this to myself and wait to surprise everyone, but I have been working in a vacuum for a month and it feels good to talk a little bit about it. Especially as I have been going full bore, night and day for two weeks straight. I Hope you guys like what you see. I think it's the best work I have ever done.

Mord.

Due to a little accident I'm reacting rather late, Mord, but you certainly cheered me up with this sensational mod! And yes, definitely THE BEST WORK YOU'VE EVER DONE!

Not sure about the Heer Armor icon (not the same quality as the others) and would prefer the Heer Arm infantry with a helmet, I  think. But the rest of them is spot on.

Edited by Aragorn2002

6 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

definitely THE BEST WORK YOU'VE EVER DONE!

Not sure about the Heer Armor icon (not the same quality as the others) and would prefer the Heer Arm infantry with a helmet, I  think. But the rest of them is spot on.

Thanks, friend! You'd be really amazed if you could see where each portrait choice started. Page 1 gives an idea with the infantry, but man, you think the tanker in the pic was bad, you should've seen my first choice! It's funny how I'll be cool with a portrait for a day or so and then it begins to annoy me until I am forced to find better.

Yeah, the Armor and Arm Infantry have been replaced in the other thread. The crappy ones you are talking about are forever gone.

49 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Just one of the aspects I like about the new design is that the face and uniform are easier to identify as belonging to a specific branch.  The old ones, (esp infantry and arm inf) seemed interchangeable.

It's funny you bring this up because it was a big goal in how I wanted to present them. The first pics I chose for the Heer just weren't immediately identifiable because of their clothing. After removing them from the context of their original pictures and resizing them, they looked like fantasy WWII Germans. It was hard finding the iconic presentation I was aiming for once they were shrunk down. And yeah, that was yet another limitation of the old style, where my only way of differentiating between the heads was the helmet, which as you say, could be interchangeable, even though I used flash for plain infantry and chicken wire for armored. Those were my only options. This is light years better.

Mord.

The new work is much more sophisticated and subtle.  I can't tell if it's me or if you added a sort of shading - using light to make the images more 3D in appearance.  In any case it's a good effect and I have no other suggestion other than maybe that 3D effect can be enhanced even more...  But, in playing, one doesn't spend a whole lot of time looking at these tiny UI graphics, so they are near perfect for their role in the game interface as is.

Good eye. I am a big fan of "drop shadow", so yes, there is some shading beneath the soldiers, the shields and small flags. That was a very painful lesson I learned in the middle of making version three or four of the BN mod. Before, I'd just put the pics on top of each other and they'd lay flat, then I discovered how much volume and flare a little bit of shadow added to the entire pic. A thousand or so portraits into that mod and I had to start all over. It's taken many a mistake to get here, let me tell ya.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

10 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Modders will never know how much we, the untalented and unwashed masses, appreciate their thankless and profitless work making our games so much better.

BFC is awesome. 
BFC + the modding community is beyond awesome.

Rodger that!  +1

8 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Sorry, you and many of us have expressed gratitude, but you'd just love to be able to do more than words on a forum.

😁

There's an option now.

Mord.