Basements?

55 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Any one have a educated guess (as opposed to a wish) what the next new major feature will be?

32 AI-Groups 😎...

Adding something like this would significantelly increase the challange of fighting the AI. 32 Orders/ Group where implemented a while back. 32 AI Groups seems like a logical next step and would be much, much apprisiated !

or

A complete remake of the AI artillery programing interface... 

Programing some decent AI artillery support with the current system is a real pain ! to much randon, to limited and VERY frustrating. We have seen no changes to this system in a very long time i belive (maybe since the start of CM2)...It is high time to get this right. As a designer currently you have some decent controll of the pre-bombardments...but thats about it.

NOT GOOD.

19 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

I'm not familiar with what a 32 AI group is exactly.

AI Groups is what the scenario designers use to...move the AI forces around in a single player scenario. We currently have 16 of those. You can think of them as individually acting/reacting units. You place a number of units from the AIs OOB into these groups and have them act together. For example one Group could perhaps be 1st platoon of an infantry Company with... lets say 2 attached (put into the same Group)sniper team. The second Group is the Hvy weapons platoon and and the third Group is the two remaining platoons with maybe some pioneers.

Pretty much Everything the AI troops will do during the battle they will do...as part of these Groups. The designers have the ability to set a number of parameters that to some degree dictate how these Groups will act...if they will attack, assult, area fire or do some other things  like or hunker down, ambush, run, move slow etc, etc...

Now...let's say you would like to design a singleplayer scenario with the AI acting as the attacker. The player gets a Company sized force to defend with. Then following the 3-1 rule the AI will need something like a battalion for the attack. Perhaps supported by a number of AFVs.

Having 16 AI Groups as we do now pretty severely limits how flexible the AI can be in the attack.  The Groups will get to big ! The scenario designer sets the general 'rules' for these Groups with his programing...Where to move, when etc but it is the AI that then handles how these groups actually perform given instructions. And the AI is not 'the best' at this. It is not terrible but it leaves a lot to be desired. 

With MORE AI-Groups the designer will be able to 'help' the AI by giving more precise instructions to smaller teams. Making the AI more FLEXIBLE and able to carry out said instructions in a better way ( hopefully 😉 ).

The AI is far better at handeling something like a squad or...two squads in an AI Group compared to handle 2, 3 platoons with sub units/ Group. 

When you design scenarios you become very familuar with what the AI can 'handle' and what it can not. The limitations are pretty severe. Having more AI Groups would be...

AMAZING ! 😀

57 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Yes! This.  Also more terrain objectives since the 15 terrain objectives also have to be shared with triggers. 

Actually I don't really like those two mixed together at all. I would prefer to see them separated - then given more triggers. Not sure we need more objectives.

4 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

Will a lower level basements in buildings ever be in a future version?I dont know how prevelant they were in Europe or Russia in the WW2 era?

highly unlikely.  Basements would require altering the terrain mesh and Steve has been pretty adamant that will not happen.

1 minute ago, weapon2010 said:

could you not simiulate a basement by making a small square ditch lock and then placing a building on top?

you can try, but movement pathing gets weird.  Broadsword and I did a battle once with a Multi story building simulating  basement.  It got really weird when the arty collapsed the building.

On 8/12/2018 at 2:51 PM, sburke said:

you can try, but movement pathing gets weird.  Broadsword and I did a battle once with a Multi story building simulating  basement.  It got really weird when the arty collapsed the building.

I thought that ditchlocked basement under the multistory building was great as long as the building stood.

But yes, when artillery collapsed the building into its basement, I recall sending GIs into that huge rubble pit to hunt out any surviving Germans. The yanks would hesitate at the edge, as if to look at me and say, "Are you nuts?" and then would leap off the edge into the abyss like hatchlings taking their first tentative flight from the nest... They ended up getting mugged down there by various Germans who they (and I) had no way of seeing. It was very weird and didn't look particularly realistic at all, but I found it kind of cool in another way -- or at least different!

I think in that same battle there was a German command post in another building in a ditchlocked basement, and sburke's men got stuck down there. It was quite a few years ago now, so my recollection has grown hazy...(CM has entered the category of pleasant nostalgia for me, I'm afraid, since it's been so long since I was actually playing it and I reluctantly set it aside in the wait for the patch.)

Edited by Broadsword56