US Thompson SMG doesn't fire on "target light", but MP40 does..

It seems the US SMG doesn't fire when using a "target light" order. That's great, because it allows me to choose to save ammunition for the SMG in some cases, and let loose with all guns in other cases.

However, the German MP40 does actually fire when given a target light order. Shouldn't it behave like the Thompson?

Edited by Bulletpoint

It's @MOS:96B2P who did the testing. I just noticed in various scenarios that the MP40 area fired on target light orders at about 60-100m distance, whereas the Thompson didn't. 

I guess the rationale behind having SMGs fire on target light is that it makes it easier to use in forests? That is, in forests at close range, you want all guns firing, because there's a chance that area fire could hit hidden enemies, but you don't want the team to fire rifle grenades, because that would be dangerous to friendlies?

In city fights playing the Germans, it's just often a bad thing to have the team leader waste all his MP40 ammo shooting at a house, when what you really want is the MG42 and the rifles suppressing.

26 minutes ago, IanL said:

Are the ranges comparable in your testing. I ask because range will matter for the squad's choice of what to fire.

The Thompson will not fire at all past 160 meters due to the hard coded range cap.  Under 160 meters the Thompson will only Target.  It will not ever Target Light.   It has been this way for a long time (over a two years since I noticed?) in all the titles.  I thought it was intended behavior. 

21 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Unless things have changed in an update am sure that the Thompson fires on light - but only at shorter ranges.  I recall using TARGET LIGHT a lot as a mean to reduce ammo consumption (but it didn't stop consumption).

The user interface will allow you to give a team that contains a Thompson Target Light however the Thompson will not fire.  The other weapons in the same team (M1s etc. will fire).  I just double checked at 34 meters and 10 meters.  The Thompson did not fire on Target Light.  Even when the other weapons ran out of ammo.  It may have behaved differently at some earlier point.  It was about two years ago that I noticed.