On 8/20/2018 at 12:30 PM, McMortison said:

back on topic. 

The company that provides the flights with the Ju52 is only 13km from were i live. Saying that I am happy that they are still in buissness and that 2 days ago they were back an flying.

https://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/story/Die-Flugzeuge-der-Ju-Air-tragen-Trauerflor-24153550

Its in German, basicaly the incident caused a lot of stir, and for a small contry like Switzerland the wellbeeing of the company made it to the frontpage of most of our newspapers.

We had a company here flying old cold war jets but unfortunately after one of their English Electric Lightning's crashed at an airshow the company shut down and sold off the remaining  jets. A real shame.

As for Ju52 I've been fortunate to be in one. Alas only while it's landing gear was firmly planted on the ground as passengers weren't allowed aboard doing it's airshow demonstration flight. Attempts to arrange a stowaway by virtue of being the pilot's kin proved fruitless.

On 8/6/2018 at 6:37 AM, Michael Emrys said:

whenever something like this happens, it raises the question of whether historic aircraft should be flying at all.

Dave Wiley makes some good points along those lines towards the end of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlXzD5yuJKQ&list=PLBAEOsdxIbLPFEomzphaZQ0A5Vujkpjd8&index=22&t=0s

• 2 months later...

The latest news:

The Swiss authorities withdrew the permission to fly from the remaining two planes today. Apparently, they found indication of systematic structural issues in the wings of the crashed plane.

Would be a big loss, if it was a permanent decision. I love to hear and see the Ju52 fly over. Even my wife meanwhile recognises the Ju just by the humm of the engines.

2 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

The latest news:

The Swiss authorities withdrew the permission to fly from the remaining two planes today. Apparently, they found indication of systematic structural issues in the wings of the crashed plane.

Would be a big loss, if it was a permanent decision. I love to hear and see the Ju52 fly over. Even my wife meanwhile recognises the Ju just by the humm of the engines.

That is a shame yes but, as a pilot, I can say that security must NOT be neglected. At my airfield, there is someone who renovates a Stampe SV4C and he spends hours and hours on every detail to make the plane safe.

Few pictures (sorry to be a little off topic here)

O3dKw.jpg

PnND4.jpg

2wJWK.jpg

41 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

That is a shame yes but, as a pilot, I can say that security must NOT be neglected. At my airfield, there is someone who renovates a Stampe SV4C and he spends hours and hours on every detail to make the plane safe.

Few pictures (sorry to be a little off topic here)

O3dKw.jpg

PnND4.jpg

2wJWK.jpg

Yep, as engineer, I have to fully agree.

Meanwhile, I got some more info from the news. It sounds like the investigation team found numerous signs of corrosion on the fuselage and tubing of the wreck. Plus various not declared repair works. They said individually nothing significant, but all in all quite alarming and enough to question the state of the other planes. Sounds like even to find possible faults, the planes would have to be dismantled more or less completely.

Oh, how we will miss them. Only in August we saw a Ju last time. We were hiking near Munich and I wondered what this strange sound is. My wife said „Why, that‘s Ju52 coming from overthere.“ And then the Ju came in very low along the Valley. Whoa, amazing..

Edited by StieliAlpha

34 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Very clean machine. Looks like he is doing a good job of it.

Michael

Oh yes, he knows his subject perfectly. It is always a great pleasure to hear him talk about the origin and the use of this aircraft.

Engine testing:

bGLRa.png

The pilot was down in the cockpit at the time of the picture but, don't be mistaken, was inside the plane. Security always... 🙂

17 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Apparently, they found indication of systematic structural issues in the wings of the crashed plane.

In layman's terms, I guess that means the planes were getting old and that cracks had formed in the wings from many years of use.

It is odd that they didn't check for that. Metal fatigue is a well known thing.

7 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

In layman's terms, I guess that means the planes were getting old and that cracks had formed in the wings from many years of use.

It is odd that they didn't check for that. Metal fatigue is a well known thing.

Good answer, but a little too late. Refer to my later post.

But indeed, „getting old“ (but not obsolete. 😎) is probably the point. It seems, a complete dismantling and reconstruction would be a good idea. Unfortunately, I doubt those people have enough money for that kind of job.

However, I just read that an overhauled replacement from Germany is already “en Route”.😱

12 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

If this is such a popular design, why hasn't anyone set up a production line to turn out replicas?

It's an old design, not very efficient, outdated in many ways, lots of rough edges. It has a small group of dedicated fans that love it for historical and nostalgic reasons, but most people don't care enough to make it a big business.

A bit like a certain game series...

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, Michael Emrys said:

On the other hand, their natural element is the sky and it seems almost criminal to deny them that.

Indeed. Just like tanks should not be left sitting on static displays in museums, they should be allowed to romp and play, firing explosives all day long.

• 2 weeks later...

For those, who want to see it: Here is a video of the actual crash seconds:

https://www.google.ch/amp/s/amp.blick.ch/news/schweiz/exklusiv-augenzeugin-filmt-crash-am-piz-segnas-hier-stuerzt-die-ju-52-ab-id15044750.html

The Ju crashed vertically into the ground. Quite disturbing sight.

For the German speakers: I wonder if you understand the commentary of the video.

Edited by StieliAlpha