Just had a BTR pop smoke (on command, after a quick move) 160m(!) ahead of it, which is obviously not what I intended to do. Is there any way to control it?

Combat Mission manual is pretty comprehensive and easy to read and understand, but I suppose, there are a few topics around like this one, that could make a nice addition to it

It would be nice if the purple line that comes up when you select "Pop Smoke" extended out the distance the smoke would go. As it stands it extends (and says) 20m, which I guess is accurate for defensive smoke launchers but not for these. It could go out the full 150+m to show what'll really happen.

It is possible to equip regular vehicles with quick air-burst grenades from Shtora. So in fact you can mix the deployment groups which you can control from the switchbox inside the vehicle. Would be a cool feature to have player have control over long-distance smoke, but have crews automatically deploy defensive smoke when they are spotted.  

Yeah, I myself often get mystified by where my smokes get popped. I usually try to do FACE to the direction and then do POP SMOKE. Yet, the BTR smoke has a mind of its own. Landing wherever and then being pushed by the wind.

Pretty effective at protecting infantry, though.

I'm curious: is the "black" smoke's effect on thermals any different than the usual "white" variant? Is it easier or harder to see through?

21 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

I'm curious: is the "black" smoke's effect on thermals any different than the usual "white" variant? Is it easier or harder to see through?

This is my understanding: All US vehicle smoke is IR-blocking.  Black RUS / UKR vehicle smoke is not IR blocking.  White RUS / UKR vehicle smoke (e.g. Shtora) is IR-blocking. 

That's  one of the big open days at Bovington tank museum.  They are brilliant if you are a tank fiend.  Just seeing and hearing them in RL is great.

45 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Smoke didn't seem to last more than a few seconds.  Presumably a "display version", not "real" smoke?

I saw that Polish tank in the Chieftain/Military history visualized video:

Looks like they got many old soviet vehicles lapping about. If the smoke is disorienting to the audience, I can't imagine how disorienting it is for the tankers.

A curious tactic... hopefully we'll get to test it out in CM soon.

Posted (edited)

The Syrians have reequipped almost their entire T-72 fleet with their Viper thermal imager, while I doubt it's of terribly high resolution, I suspect it can see through that smoke adequately enough.....The dude with the RPGs, not so much.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead