Shouldering Weapons

I just have a quick question. The first is about CMSF2. I noticed in Shock Force 1 and Black Sea when using the hunt option, the soldiers don't bring their weapons up to their shoulders. Is it possible to make it so that happens or is it too late? I bring it up because as a service member myself its something I immediately noticed. Just want to know if it was possible to adjust that specific feature.

It also might be differences in Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) between different services. With today's accessories such as a three-point sling on an M-4 carbine, vs an M-16, there might be a difference in carry positions. Also, don't forget that the hunt command indicates movement with a higher awareness of the surroundings, not an assault or entry mode where you would have your weapon in your shoulder, ready to engage. The hunt command was developed to simulate infantry that carried an M1 rifle. You definitely wouldn't want to scout with one of those in your shoulder.

While I understand what you mean, the implication of "hunt" would be that you are expecting immediate or close range contact. I think it would be more appropriate to have a mix of animations for the movement at a minimum, but I guess it would depend on the length of the movement. Given that it tires someone out, you'd think that they would be at the high ready.

Realistically, it should be treated as an "assault" command, and the units should do a slow bounding over-watch, or a traveling over-watch at "move" speed.

It might help to think of "Move" as a "route march" where you don't expect contact, and "Hunt" as a combination of a tactical column and a scouting movement. We don't have a specific scout move command, so we use "Hunt." We do however have an "Assault" commend for certain units (full squad, not teams) that equates to a "Fireteam Rush," and uses bounding rush tactics. Also, during my patrolling and "scouting" in the USMC, I never had my rifle in my shoulder. I had it ready to bring it to bear if necessary, but not as you state. What you are suggesting sounds more like MOUT which I never participated in.

Edited by Vet 0369

MOVE was more of a safe rear area route march mode in CM1 and they would not react well if fired on. 

However, my experience is that CM2's version of MOVE is ok to use for troops (not in immediate combat) as the troops will react quite well if unexpectedly fired upon.

23 hours ago, snarre said:

"advance" and "move to contact " move orders would be nice to have 😉

It has been a long time since I last played them, but I seem to remember having "Move to Contact" and "Ambush" commands in CMx1. In particular CMBO. I believe the Hunt command replaced the Move to Contact command because that' exactly what it does (and it's only a single word to put on a button). What would be the action of an "Advance" command"?

Edited by Vet 0369

30 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

What would be the action of an "Advance" command"?

Assault is the closest thing in a singular command. Bounding overwatch, expecting contact.

And hunt is definitely the closest thing we have to a "move to contact" type command, given that our pixeltruppen go to ground and wait for orders.

Most movements we could want to conduct can be micro-managed, but it would be nice to have a singular command to perform some actions. If BF could only get our pixeltruppen to form and stay in formation...

Of course, my comment applies only to drill and admin formations. In the field, my Marines were the model of coordination and team work. A well-oiled machine that anticipated what was expected and just carried it out. I'm sure Splinty's squad was the same.