Turkish Leopard 2A4 mod preview

I recall how Poland had joined the 'Coalition of the Willing' in return for promises of visa-free Polish travel to the US (which never materialized). In your backstory Turkey might well send a token 'coalition' force to the fight just for the resulting prestige recognition and political promises. You gotta be in it to win it. And if coincidentally you happen to expand your southern border by a couple km after the war's end that's just icing on the cake.

Read the Adam Tooze article mentioned, it does actually address these subjects. 

My take on it/from it: At the time Turkey would have probably be very eager to cooperate with NATO because of the geopolitical goodwill it creates. I think the relationship between Syria and Turkey was quite good at that time. However given the situation Syria is going down no matter what (so much is clear), might as well be pragmatic about it. 
Regarding the Kurds, at first Erdogan was friendly with the Kurds, there were some reforms about the Kurdish situatino and a Kurdish minister on his team. That changed after the Kurdish HDP party got 10% of the votes, which was enough to stop him reaching a majority. After that a counter insurgency operation was started, followed up by new elections end the rest is history ;-).
So I'd say that Turkey didn't have a lot of reason to attack the Kurds in Syria back in 2008. Than again, opportunities....

Edited by Lethaface

8 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Read the Adam Tooze article mentioned, it does actually address these subjects. 

Indeed it does, I should have read it before posting my question. I think your take on what Turkey would do in 2008 is a good one. Still, as stated in the article, US actions in Iraq were very unpopular amongst the Turkish population so that risking too many Turkish lives in the war against Syria by "the West" which had also recently rebuffed Turkeys integration into the inner circle would be limited. Still on the CMSF scale one could make pretty  much any scenario one wished since the general one battalion max limit  of the game is certainly a believable commitment. 

PS MIke I assume Turkey already had the 2a4s in 2008?

Edited by Sequoia

Since the Turkish mods/scenarios are third party there's no reason to stick to the official 2007 timeline. The camou schemes are 2018, it was the Turkish army's incursion into Syria in January that piqued peoples' interest.

I just can't get used to the weird Turkish camou.

turkey_kurds-1_21_18-afp_2.jpg

Ypr sample 2.jpg

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Any one know of a source for recent Turkish TO&E? I'm not asking for as much detail as Steve gets into, but mostly how many vehicles, squads in a platoon etc. 

No but punch in these coords into Google Earth and roll the imagery date back and forward (2014 is a good year to spot kit):

Tank Shed 1:   35° 9'8.27"N  33°36'59.30"E

Tank Shed 2:   35° 9'12.65"N  33°36'46.26"E

Tank Shed 3:  35° 9'4.66"N  33°36'48.62"E

All of the sheds are part of the same installation in Asha/Pasakoy Cyprus. This location is associated with the Turkish 14th Armoured Brigade according to various open source websites.

Now, while I accept that the Turkish garrison in Cyprus is a bit of an anomaly to that on the mainland, it seems pretty clear from the imagery that Tank companies number 13 x tanks. Dividing this by three gives you four and a bit. So my guess is that a Turkish tank company comprises either 3 x tank platoons of four tanks each, plus a company HQ tank or 4 x tank platoons of three tanks each plus a company HQ tank. My guesstimate would be the first of the two above.

I actually used to be the go-to-guy for Orbats in this part of the World in the late 90s early 00s but all sadly forgotten and most of it can't be told here anyway.

2 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Tank Shed 1:   35° 9'8.27"N  33°36'59.30"E

Tank Shed 2:   35° 9'12.65"N  33°36'46.26"E

Tank Shed 3:  35° 9'4.66"N  33°36'48.62"E

I actually used to be the go-to-guy for Orbats in this part of the World

:ph34r:........................... +1

What's MORE important is for me to give Dutch forces proper Turkish uniforms.

An interesting little factoid I stumbled across last night. In 2016 when Turkey switched to their new uniform they donated all of their old uniforms, tents and such to Ukraine, for free!

All of CMSF2 is one big MikeyD mod. ^_^ Almost everything's been touched in the game and 7/8ths of it nobody had actually asked me to do. They'd just come in to work in the morning to find a Carl Gustav rccl gun skin uploaded or new telephone pole art. I'm surprised nobody yelled at me.

Here's my experiment to see if SF2 will replace the Dutch C7A1 (M16) model with the CM:Afghanistan FN.

It works! The weapon comes into the game as 5.56. Turkey might not actually field the old FN anymore but the model's close enough to the HK33E now in Turkish service for it to work if I retexture it. The texture in the pict is straight CM:Afghanistan.

FN sample.jpg

HK33E smaller.jpg

Edited by MikeyD