La Fiere gets its own Tom Hanks & Dale Dye war pic!

45 minutes ago, Mord said:

That sounds great. Between that and the mini-series based on the air war, HBO is supposed to be doing, looks like we've got some good WWII action ahead.

Mord.

@Mord - Is the HBO series "The Mighty Eighth"?  When is that scheduled for broadcast?

Yeah, I think that is the title. They still haven't announced anything as far as I know. The only info I could find was a post from the screen writer on a forum saying he was working hard on it.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

The description in the article overdoes it a tad by saying that holding the bridge for three days held of the annihilation of the landing forces.  German forces in the area were just not strong enough to do that.  What it did do was make breaking out of the bridgehead much easier.

16 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Challenging attempt, to „recreate“ Private Ryan or Band of Brothers. We‘ll see how that comes out.

Yeah, that's why I honestly can't say I'm too excited. Why do we need a recreation of Private Ryan or BoB? They're fairly recent films/shows. I'm tired of D-Day. Why can't we have something about the Italian front? North Africa? Crete? China? Burma? It was a WORLD war, right?

I am not saying, that I am tired of D-Day (though some change would be nice, indeed). 

What I tried to say: Same people involved, same topic. The stakes are high already. That‘s why it may be difficult, to produce something of similar acceptance and quality. Well, actually it should be better. Otherwise it feels like „Ach, Private Ryan again. I‘ll switch to the Muppet Show...“

Edited by StieliAlpha

Getting a movie produced is about spreading the blame so that the chances of you as an exec being fired is reduced.  So, studio execs remake something else that was successful.  ie: "We want something exactly like .......... that made a gazillion dollars... but different."

Here is the sort of resource which would, I think, benefit the production greatly. These are painstaking (the guy owns 22 German dictionaries) translations of the original (and named) source docs. These aren't free, but if you don't read German, these things are pure gold. You can see samples from each before buying.

https://www.germanmanuals.com/REmanuals.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

The Edit timer ran out while I was typing this addition to the above, but was going to say that regarding the movie, US Airborne in Normandy instantly gets a lot of eyeballs, with the Glider Troops a curiosity and cool bonus, especially for fans of "A Bridge Too Far.". Believe, too, that this one would have a lot more combat than SPR, which was sort of like a cross between Xenophon's Anabasis and "Apocalypse Now" in places, what with the long trek, infrequent intermittent sharp encounters and such until the big battle.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Meant to mention that if Tom Hanks and Stephen Spielberg kept all that BoB stuff, then it would be considerably easier logistically to put the film together, such as only having to make Glider Infantry uniforms for the US, as opposed to doing them all from scratch. Am no uniform grog of any sort, but here's what a Glider Infantry uniform looks like. 

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/wwiireenactors/Uniforms.html

Regards,

John Kettler

It's a shame the British paras, for that matter, the British Army, have gotten so little love in the major war pic or series arena. Really hope they get the funding they need, for I believe those stories need to be told. What a shame there are so few WW II vets left to see the series, if sufficient money can be found. Maybe hit up Tom Hanks?

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

I don't hold out much hope for this. I expect too-heavy CGI effects, too-loud orchestral score, and too many scenes of teary-eyed soldier boys looking at pictures of their best girl from back home in Kansas. Hanks is too sentimental to properly cover this topic. It ain't gonna be 'Cross of Iron'', that's for sure.

9 hours ago, John Kettler said:

It's a shame the British paras, for that matter, the British Army, have gotten so little love in the major war pic or series arena.

Well, they did get A Bridge Too Far, which until SPR was probably the biggest war movie out there. Sure, it had lots of American actors and showed what the 82nd. and 101st. were up to, but the primary focus was on the Brits.

Michael