3 hours ago, Badger73 said:

It's written beneath the banner for the "General Discussion Forum" (Off-topic posts go here! (NO POLITICS, NO COMMERCIAL LINKS, NO SPAM) and has been long assumed as applicable to all the other forums as well.

Ah! That old trick! Hit 'em where they aint.

Yep! One of the few pieces of Allied armor that really makes my butt pucker when I am playing as the Germans. I've lost many a Panther to those bad boys.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

I was monitoring the progress of "The Tactical Art of Combat", a potential 3/D successor to Close Combat. Seems that this project has quietly died, the website being offline at the moment.

Proves that it is not that easy to get a CM competitor to the market.

Best regards,
Thomm

8 hours ago, Thomm said:

I was monitoring the progress of "The Tactical Art of Combat", a potential 3/D successor to Close Combat. Seems that this project has quietly died, the website being offline at the moment.

Proves that it is not that easy to get a CM competitor to the market.

Best regards,
Thomm

I always figured that the 3D successor to Close Combat is Close Combat, since the 3d Close Combat launches this year.

I had three different CC games, 2,3 and 4 (or 5). I hated them. They weren't fun to me at all. I liked Steel Panthers, though nothing grabbed me like CMBO.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

On 7/31/2018 at 3:32 AM, Kommissar said:

Pretty sure that Firefly should have been able to KO the Panther at about the 20 minute mark.

It's because the game doesn't model any of the nifty angle/armour plate/distance/ballistics that we are used to from CM (and World of Tanks, which I don't play). It's one of the shortcomings of Post Scriptum that tanks are basically boxes with "hit points".

You hear the guy say "what's our health at?" after the engagement.

So, no one-shot kills; you have to chip away at the hitpoints before the enemy tank gets destroyed eventually. But I think I read somewhere that they wanted to improve the system and make it more realistic.

Still, at the ranges combat takes place at in this game, I'm not sure it would really show the differences in armour...

Edited by Bulletpoint

7 minutes ago, Josey Wales said:

@11:48 "I see troops but I'm not sure if they are enemy""

Quickly brings up 'genuine WW2 GPS map' showing his exact location and brightly coloured moving markers.

Sigh!!!

Yeah, it's far from being a super realistic game - apart from when compared to most other team-based shooters. Then it seems a proper history lesson.

Edited by Bulletpoint

17 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

It's because the game doesn't model any of the nifty angle/armour plate/distance/ballistics that we are used to from CM (and World of Tanks, which I don't play). It's one of the shortcomings of Post Scriptum that tanks are basically boxes with "hit points".

You hear the guy say "what's our health at?" after the engagement.

So, no one-shot kills; you have to chip away at the hitpoints before the enemy tank gets destroyed eventually. But I think I read somewhere that they wanted to improve the system and make it more realistic.

Still, at the ranges combat takes place at in this game, I'm not sure it would really show the differences in armour...

WoT actually has a health bar too. Any post-impact ballistics are abstracted as damage.

WT has a cool feature that lets you see an X-ray of the post-impact damage. It's a silly game, with virtually immortal crewmen and buttoned-up track repair. They should really put that X-ray playback feature for other tank games.

Squad, its main competitor, has an armour system close to Men of War (no health bar). I'm guessing Postscript will eventually update their tanks to that level.

On 7/31/2018 at 7:35 PM, Mord said:

I had three different CC games, 2,3 and 4 (or 5). I hated them. They weren't fun to me at all. I liked Steel Panthers, though nothing grabbed me like CMBO.

Mord.

That first game of CMBO I played was something else, the excitement level was off the charts.  It was so much more realistic than anything I had played before. I'm a bit jaded now of course but there are still moments when you just say "wow that was cool!"   

1 hour ago, wadepm said:

That first game of CMBO I played was something else, the excitement level was off the charts.  It was so much more realistic than anything I had played before. I'm a bit jaded now of course but there are still moments when you just say "wow that was cool!"   

Like this?  This is the last shot in the CMSF Marines screenshot gallery.  Check out the look on the MG guy.  I just love this pic.  The uncon by the way escaped.  The shooter missed.  I think this is a Jihad commercial for Converse.  The shot itself is from the @George MC scenario Circle the Wagons. And it is in movie mode @Bil Hardenberger  :D no mods

gallery_16.jpg

3 minutes ago, sburke said:

I think this is a Jihad commercial for Converse. 

That's dangerous territory, friend. Make clear somewhere that uncon footwear are 100% legit fakes made in Malaysia.

Very cool shot but I would have loved more to see the dude in black shooting from behind the corner. Illustrating one of the coolest things in the 4.0 engine, the improved infantry behaviours.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

Just now, BletchleyGeek said:

That's dangerous territory, friend. Make clear somewhere that uncon footwear are 100% legit fakes made in Malaysia.

Very cool shot but I would have loved more to see the dude in black shooting from behind the corner.

would you stop knowing an entire squad of heavily armed Marines was back there and knew which way you went?  Red Bull gives you wings!

Jihad footwear incorporated.  Designed to allow fighters to out run the crusader dogs!  Wonder if they need disclaimer info in the commercial to prevent Sharia court lawsuits?