http://www.matrixgames.com/products/685/details/Armored.Brigade

I'm unsure if I'm allowed to post things like this, and I will remove it if it's an issue. This game looks really cool. It's based on the FULDA GAP!!! And three other less important regions. All 61x61 kmish.  It's based on the years 1965-1991. I hope this turns out to be an improved SPMBT kind of game but much better. And I don't doubt it'll be far off. 

I'd like to add I've been a fan of Steel Panthers World at War and SPMBT for around a decade now. I'd play them when I had the shoddiest internet connection and they're super light on your pc. My Pentium 4 worked like a charm. 

Edited by Artkin

1) Its not released yet and has been worked on for quite a while.

2) Its kind of poor form to use a company's game forum to advertise a competitor's game.

3) Even if you lacked the common courtesy about posting a link to the game, it probably be in the General Discussion forum

Despite that, I played the free version a lot and it has a lot of potential.  Its been in development a long time and am hopeful it is nearing release.

Yeah I didnt mean to make it sound like it was released. Just wanted to snazz it up. 

I'm not trying to advertise. It looks cool and I'm sure either way all of us can afford both games. It wasn't meant in bad spirit. 

I dont understand your third point. Dont understand why I'm instantly getting attacked lol

10 hours ago, Artkin said:

I've looked around and I can't find any forum rules anywhere on this domain or on the Battlefront domain. Can someone point them out for me please?

good question, I don't see it anywhere obvious either.  This particular rule I know because I got a demerit for doing the same a long time ago.  It is also a pretty good general rule, you don't link to a company's competitors on their own site.

8 minutes ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Having checked out the demo, it's Combat Mission in 2D. A cold war gone hot combat theatre is interesting over combat mission, but nothing else about the game can compare favourably.

yeah more a close combat with a wider theater.  Definitely an improvement in that genre, but single player only 2d etc not something I see myself considering.  And I have to laugh reading the original OP.  Fulda Gap and 3 less important regions.  Man the folks whose countries were on the North German Plain are probably more than a little put out.  :D

No harm in mentioning a competitor's obsolete and inferior game.  I used to play Steel Panthers - until CM1 came out and put SP in the shade - never looked at it again and why would anyone?  It makes us appreciate how good and advanced CM2 is.  

There's never, in the history of this forum, been a problem with "mentioning" another company's games. It's been done thousands of time. It's direct linking to their sites that was the big no-no. I'd guess most game companies wouldn't like that done on their forums. But it's not that big a deal. The link can always be removed. Artkin hasn't been around here as long as some of us so it's understandable he wouldn't know all the rules..

I'd buy the game if it ends up being good. The graphics look fine to me for a top down view. However, as I mentioned last time it was brought up, it bugs me they don't have any names for the crews or soldiers. Small complaint but a big deal for immersion and detail.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

If that is your cup of tea you should check out Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, also published by Matrix (is also on Steam). Less a game and more of a simulation compared to Combat Mission but it does what it does very well.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

1 hour ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

If that is your cup of tea you should check out Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, also published by Matrix (is also on Steam). Less a game and more of a simulation compared to Combat Mission but it does what it does very well.

I struggled over that one during the Steam Summer Sale but ended up not pulling the trigger. I opted to grab the two newest ROME II DLCs and got the hell off the site before I burned my wallet up.

Mord.

I'd say Armored Brigade (I played the demo, recently) is a bit more like Close Combat, mixed with Wargame (larger scale than Close Combat). SP is a hex-grid turn based game, and I still play it -- from time to time. It's good light fun.

It's hard to compared these games to Combat Mission, though. They are literally missing an entire dimension. Does that cannon have LOS on that part of an enemy AFV? Do buildings have floors? How does the terrain /really/ look?

I would like to recommend that people pick up the Theatre of War games, on Steam. They're insanely cheap and deserve to be played -- also, BFC worked on them! They have everything from the invasion of Poland, to Kursk, to the Korean war!

There's also a weird Combat Mission knock off, that feels like CM 1.5, almost. It's called Panzer Command. It's whole thing is that it does from Barbarossa to Berlin.

13 hours ago, Mord said:

I struggled over that one during the Steam Summer Sale but ended up not pulling the trigger. I opted to grab the two newest ROME II DLCs and got the hell off the site before I burned my wallet up.

Mord.

Man, they really cranked up the prices on Rome 2 -- and many of the other total wars. Crazy for a game that was barely playable at launch.

33 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

I'd say Armored Brigade (I played the demo, recently) is a bit more like Close Combat, mixed with Wargame (larger scale than Close Combat). SP is a hex-grid turn based game, and I still play it -- from time to time. It's good light fun.

It's hard to compared these games to Combat Mission, though. They are literally missing an entire dimension. Does that cannon have LOS on that part of an enemy AFV? Do buildings have floors? How does the terrain /really/ look?

I would like to recommend that people pick up the Theatre of War games, on Steam. They're insanely cheap and deserve to be played -- also, BFC worked on them! They have everything from the invasion of Poland, to Kursk, to the Korean war!

There's also a weird Combat Mission knock off, that feels like CM 1.5, almost. It's called Panzer Command. It's whole thing is that it does from Barbarossa to Berlin.

Man, they really cranked up the prices on Rome 2 -- and many of the other total wars. Crazy for a game that was barely playable at launch.

Panzer Command had a lot of nice features and in some ways better graphics than CM1.  As soon as CM2 came out, I couldn't play it any more.  It had some really good C&C features that were kind of groundbreaking.  It was easily moddable.  But had a lot of issues in the details.

2D games actually handle LOS with LOS tools.  They are pretty effective.  While I like playing in the 3D world with CM, there are so many abstractions and not really WYSIWYG so that it doesn't bother me much.

I don't think BFC really worked on ToW.  I thought they just distributed it.

On 7/29/2018 at 4:12 AM, Artkin said:

And three other less important regions.

Thanks for that. I used live in one of the “less important regions”, the North German Plains, for a while.

But originally, not too far from the Fulda Gap.

And I spent my service time even closer to both.

So, I would say (or wouldn’t I? 😎): “No thanks” to that one.

I would strongly recommend Post Scriptum (a FPS), if we are piling on with the suggestions.

It is set in Market-Garden, has the best maps I have ever seen in a FPS depicting real-world locations, and is a game with a great emphasis on teamwork (it's based off of ...er "Squad". IIRC). The sound is also pretty visceral. I was hiding in a hedge scanning for unseen enemies across a flowered field, and a friendly tank opened up its main gun near me, and I actually inhaled in shock at how terrifyingly real the experience seemed. All the while, dirt is being kicked up all around me by an enemy as in the dark as I am. You just need a decent few commanders (which seems to be the case with more regularity than one might expect). It's my new Red Orchestra.

I'm "Formaldehyde" on the servers. A CM group would be great to play with sometime. I just need to get a microphone for communication, which my wife will love in the wee hours of the evening.

Edited by benpark

1 hour ago, Thewood1 said:

Panzer Command had a lot of nice features and in some ways better graphics than CM1.  As soon as CM2 came out, I couldn't play it any more.  It had some really good C&C features that were kind of groundbreaking.  It was easily moddable.  But had a lot of issues in the details.

2D games actually handle LOS with LOS tools.  They are pretty effective.  While I like playing in the 3D world with CM, there are so many abstractions and not really WYSIWYG so that it doesn't bother me much.

I don't think BFC really worked on ToW.  I thought they just distributed it.

Yeah, I don't know the story around BFC and ToW -- I could be wrong.

I'm sort of an AFV pervert. I like to see where/how they got penetrated and the full consequences of the penetration. One problem with 2d games is that they RNG where the projectile hit and the resultant damage. It'd be cool if SP could let you focus different systems of a target, like the old Fallout games. Should I target its engine for 30% hit, or target the whole vehicle for 50% hit?

I have tried, many times, to get into Close Combat. There's a lot I like about those games. But half the time I have no idea what is going on (2d ToW).

I'd also recommend Battle Academy, if you're into turn based stuff. Very cheap, too. Recently got Conflict of Heroes on Steam, and I still need to get into it.

20 minutes ago, benpark said:

I would strongly recommend Post Scriptum (a FPS), if we are piling on with the suggestions.

I may get that one. My only issue with those types of games it that they're multiplayer only. I would like to have an option to play against bots. Maybe a coop mode?

I am also curious regarding the armour system of PS and Squad. Is it health point based? Do they have driver/gunner/loader/commander?

I do recall at one time there was a "No commercial links" bit on the website, but I also don't see it. I do believe that is still the policy. We all do discuss other games in the "General Forum" below- so that may be a better venue, since this is technically the CM General discussion area.

2 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

I'd also recommend Battle Academy, if you're into turn based stuff. Very cheap, too. Recently got Conflict of Heroes on Steam, and I still need to get into it.

I may get that one. My only issue with those types of games it that they're multiplayer only. I would like to have an option to play against bots. Maybe a coop mode?

I am also curious regarding the armour system of PS and Squad. Is it health point based? Do they have driver/gunner/loader/commander? 

Battle Academy is a fun game. I play the ancients stuff as well on that engine from time to time- which signifies a good game system to me. I can be mildly interested in the subject matter, but the game elements draw me into the historical experience (and is also entertaining to play)

I don't know for sure how accurate the armor modelling is in PS, but everything seems to have made sense in the 3 nights I've played. Watch a tutorial or two on YouTube, as it will explain the roles to you. Thre's basically infantry, engineers and armor forces. Infantry can't pop into tanks, etc. You have your particular slot.

There are indeed proper seating positions for each vehicle, and if you play with people that are on the ball, each position in an AFV can be played as expected (player commanding, etc). I've seen long range duels between Fireflies and Panthers (I think! I stayed clear as a rifleman) with deflections, and close range surprise fights between AFVs- but the general FPS nonsense is generally absent.

I am actually with you- I can't stand multiplayer games for the most part, and FPS ones are the worst. I'm a 48 year old man that's seen some stuff in his time. I don't need to hear what passes for funny for ill behaved 14 year olds anymore (or 60 year old 14 year olds, for that matter). But the people playing this so far seem fairly serious, and I can get into that.

I don't know if bots will be added to PS- but there is a greyed out (it's in seriously late Alpha- no bugs for me yet) that says "Practice Mode", so I'd think that is a strong possibility.

But most of my time is spent right here, in CM Land. That's been the constant since 2000 or 2001. It's hazy now.

20 minutes ago, FlammenwerferX said:

Further OT, but is it odd that almost 20 years later CM doesn’t really have any direct competition?

Profit.  BF produces enough for it's owners to be comfortable but as they keep saying it isn't like they are gonna get rich.  The big gaming houses go where the money is.

2 hours ago, benpark said:

I do recall at one time there was a "No commercial links" bit on the website, but I also don't see it. I do believe that is still the policy. We all do discuss other games in the "General Forum" below- so that may be a better venue, since this is technically the CM General discussion area.

It's written beneath the banner for the "General Discussion Forum" (Off-topic posts go here! (NO POLITICS, NO COMMERCIAL LINKS, NO SPAM) and has been long assumed as applicable to all the other forums as well.