CMSF2 New Belligerent ?

34 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

I am simply salivating at the thought of the CMSF2 Demo, and quivering in anticipation of its release. I was just playing the second mission of the CMSF1 Marines beach head campaign last night on my PC side (I have a MacPro with Boot Camp), and every time I thought I'd just make my commands, save, and go to bed, I'd say to myself "just one more turn," and hit the GO button. Is there a "Seven-Step Program" for Combat Mission addiction?

https://www.psychguides.com/guides/video-game-addiction-treatment-program-options/

I don't know, but if I google 'game addiction help', this website comes up with 6 causes. Salivating isn't one of them though, perhaps that's the 7th step? 😂

cmadd.PNG

PS. I am also impatiently awaiting the demo of CMSF2! Have even dived back into CM:BS in anticipation (after not playing CM for quite a while).

Edited by Lethaface

LOL! I spoke in jest, but thank you for your research. I'm a retired old man, so some of those "symptoms" could be difficult to differentiate.

Symptom No. 3 - Old men have been known to skip showers and meals.

Symptom No. 4 - Retired, so don't generally work or go to school.

Symptom No. 6 - Old men tend to be easily irritated by ANYTHING!😀

8 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

LOL! I spoke in jest, but thank you for your research. I'm a retired old man, so some of those "symptoms" could be difficult to differentiate.

My pleasure 😇 😂

Enjoy your well deserved retirement. I'm probably only half way there, although I hope to retire before I'm 70 it is still to be seen if I manage.  Well, first get there than I'll see what's next. Retiring while playing some CMSF2 doesn't sound too bad at all.

25 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

This morning I watched a possibly rabid possum in front of the house.  It was stumbling in circles clearly having motor function issues.  I thought "gee that looks faintly familiar"  then stumbled in circles trying to go back into the house. (screaming at the possum to get off my lawn!)

Congratulations on retirement, am getting close, but that is only making me more short tempered and irritable that I am close but not yet there.

meanwhile our bathroom is being renovated so yeah that shower thing is a bit of an issue.  I do not however skip meals!  Food is just too good a thing.

27 minutes ago, sburke said:

This morning I watched a possibly rabid possum in front of the house.  It was stumbling in circles clearly having motor function issues.

They are actually immune to rabies AFAIR and quite a few poisons as well. He probably got wailed by a car, or lost his sunglasses. I have had many experiences with possums over the years. I took this in Maryland a few years back. One night as I was going into the house, just as I was putting my hand on the rail, the motion sensor light went on. LOL. I was inches from grabbing him. Just a baby.

possum.jpg

Edited by Mord

I was playing the Highland Games campaign when CMSF2 was announced. I came into it from a kitted-out CMBN and felt like I brought my stick to a rugby game. First few battles were easy, the Syrians gave hardly any resistance. Then came the asymmetric warfare, which shook things up -- and I found that my relatively limited losses began to stack up. Just as I began to get survive better in urban COIN missions -- a counter attack by a well disciplined, well trained, and well equipped  Syrian mechanized battalion almost ended me.

During the campaign I got to use allied assets like US Army units and friendly militias. Not something I've experienced in other CMs.

My major complaint was that I was used to all the bells and whistles of Engine 4 -- which is why CMSF2 is an easy buy from me. SF is unique, and I recommend it to Black Sea and even WW2 enthusiasts. There's lots of new content here for people who haven't played the original and most of it is entirely unlike the other entries in the series. As a hack on tele said, "And now for something completely different..."

SF has many more BLUFOR than REDFOR factions (6 vs 2?). It's like a saturday morning cartoon that keeps introducing new heroes, but keeps the same old villians. Hope they introduce more REDFOR. I'll also admit I liked the COIN in Afghanistan more. Sneaking in teams and precision strikes ain't my style -- I just want to smash.

2 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Just to be 100% clear, I don't think you are a 'fanboi' in any sense. I think the term fanboi has become a sort of an easy argument to substantiate sophisms on this forum; I don't take it's usage seriously.

Oh for sure - I didn't mean to imply that you did. But go a head and call me that if you want. :) Fair warning though Steve doesn't like it when we call each other names.

Perhaps you are a little attached to CM and because of this attachment, sometimes defend CMx2 like it's your game. Is that too direct? Sorry, I'm dutch 😜

LOL perhaps. I argued pretty forcefully back in the day to not allow Bazookas, Shreks and Phausts to be fired in doors. I was never convinced on the evidence. I lost that round and happily fire my rocket weapons from indoors now my self.

...I think you're a very appreciated member of this forum. Even by some of the characters you, imo correctly, summarize above. At least by me. Respected old guard with a lot of knowledge about the game, rational and pleasant in communication (most of the times 😉). 

You are too kind - I'll go and blush in the corner now. :D

Besides, we all fail at times. Failing is a healthy thing, as we learn from failing. At least, we can learn from it; not everyone does. Without failing it's hard to learn. I like to think that I have learned quite a lot in my life (but still don't know a lot), and boy did/do I make many mistakes!!! :) 😂😂

Very true - well said.

4 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

I was playing the Highland Games campaign when CMSF2 was announced. I came into it from a kitted-out CMBN and felt like I brought my stick to a rugby game. First few battles were easy, the Syrians gave hardly any resistance. Then came the asymmetric warfare, which shook things up -- and I found that my relatively limited losses began to stack up. Just as I began to get survive better in urban COIN missions -- a counter attack by a well disciplined, well trained, and well equipped  Syrian mechanized battalion almost ended me.

During the campaign I got to use allied assets like US Army units and friendly militias. Not something I've experienced in other CMs.

My major complaint was that I was used to all the bells and whistles of Engine 4 -- which is why CMSF2 is an easy buy from me. SF is unique, and I recommend it to Black Sea and even WW2 enthusiasts. There's lots of new content here for people who haven't played the original and most of it is entirely unlike the other entries in the series. As a hack on tele said, "And now for something completely different..."

SF has many more BLUFOR than REDFOR factions (6 vs 2?). It's like a saturday morning cartoon that keeps introducing new heroes, but keeps the same old villians. Hope they introduce more REDFOR. I'll also admit I liked the COIN in Afghanistan more. Sneaking in teams and precision strikes ain't my style -- I just want to smash.

I honestly feel that besides the Uncons and the asymmetry, anyone who hasn't played CMSF1 will be really surprised with the one thing that no other family or module has; Marines. Please know that you should not play the U.S. Marines the same as you play U.S. Army. They are totally different animals. If you do, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. The current mission of the Marine Corps is as follows:

"Our Mission. As America's expeditionary force in readiness since 1775, the Marines are forward deployed to win our nation's battles swiftly and aggressively in times of crisis. We fight on land, sea and air, as well as provide forces and detachments to naval ships and ground operations."

When I was in, it was in part, "To seize and secure advance Naval bases." That is a bit aggressive and probably some find it offensive, ergo the new mission statement. The two statements indicate how you should play the Marines; aggressively with overwhelming force.

Smashing is one of the things Marines do best.

15 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

I honestly feel that besides the Uncons and the asymmetry, anyone who hasn't played CMSF1 will be really surprised with the one thing that no other family or module has; Marines. Please know that you should not play the U.S. Marines the same as you play U.S. Army. They are totally different animals. If you do, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. The current mission of the Marine Corps is as follows:

"Our Mission. As America's expeditionary force in readiness since 1775, the Marines are forward deployed to win our nation's battles swiftly and aggressively in times of crisis. We fight on land, sea and air, as well as provide forces and detachments to naval ships and ground operations."

When I was in, it was in part, "To seize and secure advance Naval bases." That is a bit aggressive and probably some find it offensive, ergo the new mission statement. The two statements indicate how you should play the Marines; aggressively with overwhelming force.

Smashing is one of the things Marines do best.

1! 2! 3! 4! I love Marine Corps!

Extra tempted to play them now that they'll be fully amphibious. 

3 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

We just need some of our excellent and talented designers to create some missions with amphibious landings!

From screenshots we've seen it looks like this may have already been done with a couple of the stock scenarios.....Go back and look at a couple of the pictures again.  ;)

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:41 PM, LongLeftFlank said:

Nice. [Slow clap]  OK, I think this has run its course.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, Battlefront.com said:

Couple of points...

As stated already, CMSF2 has 100% of the features of Game Engine 4.  It's not shorted on anything.  However, there are some content issues which are separate from the Engine.  For example, CMSF2 doesn't have winter weather conditions.  That's not because CMSF2 is lacking Engine 4 features, but because it isn't a part of Shock Force 1's original content.  An Independent Building found in Normandy likely isn't available in Black Sea, not because there's a difference in the Engine code but because there's a difference in the content.

I think the biggest hang-up is that people expect Combat Mission games to be a big sandbox with toys to play with, when that is not really the design intention.

Sure, you get a lot of toys to play with, but only specific toys in a specific sandbox.

To do otherwise would be to invite all sorts of headaches.

And brain cancer.

• 6 months later...

Some one was wishing for the Israelis for Shock Force 2 in the Black Sea forums. I mentioned the French were more likely but I see now that is based on a 10 year old post. Anyway I didn't want to keep the discussion going in the Black Sea forums so I'm posting here.

Please note that the last thing Battlefront has said is there are currently no plans for a further Shock Force 2 module.

• 10 months later...
On 8/2/2018 at 12:27 AM, Lethaface said:

Ask the Turks :). I do know Turks but none that I know is, AFAIK, interested in wargaming or things like that. Almost nobody that I know is, so at least it seems not to be related to their home country ;-). So I can't help you there, but there might be Turkish speaking members on the forum?
There was a Turkish forum member Togi / Togisan, he even had a youtube channel Gamer Tactic. 
Not sure how many people would hear the difference, I would.

I can do Turkish - what needs to be done ? Trust me - there will be a difference...