Spotted in the CMSF manual, what happened to this?

Yeah for real! I know it would be a hard and  a whole bunch of work and I know there is "other games" for that. But in a combat mission game working with a friend doing combined operations would be a lot of fun. Having to re map out an entire strategy because your ally made a poor choice or having one player surrounded and having the other player attempt to break the siege, etc.

Edited by Mark_McLeod

The engineering capabilities on one of the Sryker never got implemented either. That's just how it goes sometimes. If they weren't able to figure out replay in WEGO for HTH, co-op was probably a thousand times harder.

Mord.

I wonder if the CM real time multiplayer (2v2 or more) concept I imagined was along the same lines BF was envisioning all those years ago. Kind of fun to re-read this after so many years.

If anyone wants to discuss RT multi- multiplayer concepts you're more than welcome to post it in that thread.

Edited by Vinnart

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing a variety of multiplayer  combinations (2vs2, 3vs2, 1vs2) by PBEM for several years and it's been very successful.

Each team creates a shared Dropbox folder for their own orders. Player 1 on Team A does their orders, saves the file, copies it to the shared folder and notifies Player 2 on Team A .

Player 2 copies the file to their machine, gives their own orders and presses the button. Player 2 then copies the file to another Dropbox folder (shared with the Team B) and sends an email to let Team B know it's their turn. 

It's best to agree house rules with your opponents prior to start and you can work out your own team's unit allocation and chain of command to suit your needs.

It's not hard to do and it adds a whole new dimension to the game experience.

If anyone is interested in playing with this method  then please do get in contact. My buddy and I are always looking for new people to play against.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a very entertaining and realistic FPS cousin of Combat Mission experience that I can imagine being similar for multiplayer real time in Combat Mission only on a different scale with players controlling platoons instead. I do hope it is made some day as it would be so awesome to play and would fill a niche for those who want realism in a RTS like these guys are playing in this most realistic FPS called Squad. There would be nothing else like it out there from what I have seen. A command structure, team FOW as well as enemy FOW. Some good ideas in this game Squad to check out. I like how they can mark on a tactical map for the team to see the plan.

This is a cool video showing the fun of team orientated realism first from the 1st person perspective then later from a RTS perspective. Pretty cool like watching a real live Combat Mission game with each soldier being controlled by a person with each player getting only one life. No spawning. When you die you get to watch it all unfold from RTS view.

1 hour ago, Vinnart said:

Here is a very entertaining and realistic FPS cousin of Combat Mission experience

No spawning. When you die you get to watch it all unfold from RTS view.

I've never played a FPS before but this did look very cool.  Floating around and watching the battle from above after becoming a casualty was also cool.  +1

3 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I've never played a FPS before but this did look very cool.  Floating around and watching the battle from above after becoming a casualty was also cool.  +1

I absolutely LOOOOVE Sniper Elite 2 and its sequels. The X-ray kill cam is one of the greatest creations ever put in a shooter! It makes me laugh and hoot. Shooters can be a lot of fun. I played most of the classics (Doom 1,2&3, Half Life, Delta Force, Blood, etc.). Just like wargames there are different styles for every taste. From realistic ones like above, to mindless mayhem like the new Doom, to "HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE THAT?!!!!" Sniper Elite 2.

You should try a single player game one time and see if you find it fun. Great way to blow off some steam.

Mord.

8 hours ago, Vinnart said:

Here is a very entertaining and realistic FPS cousin of Combat Mission experience that I can imagine being similar for multiplayer real time in Combat Mission only on a different scale with players controlling platoons instead. I do hope it is made some day as it would be so awesome to play and would fill a niche for those who want realism in a RTS like these guys are playing in this most realistic FPS called Squad. There would be nothing else like it out there from what I have seen. A command structure, team FOW as well as enemy FOW. Some good ideas in this game Squad to check out. I like how they can mark on a tactical map for the team to see the plan.

This is a cool video showing the fun of team orientated realism first from the 1st person perspective then later from a RTS perspective. Pretty cool like watching a real live Combat Mission game with each soldier being controlled by a person with each player getting only one life. No spawning. When you die you get to watch it all unfold from RTS view.

honetly game is far from realism and full of bugs , dont bother on it. Ewen that is not worst part of it , OWI (developer team) is worst part. 

Edited by snarre

9 hours ago, Erwin said:

Looks very good.  The god's eye view was the only odd aspect as knowing where everyone is including enemy in real time seemed a bit gamey.   But, what a fun game.

As @Sgt.Squarehead said the god's eye view only starts when/if you are KIA.  Then your soul floats above the battlefield as a spectator and you watch your teammates finish the battle.  However you have no communication with them so can't tell them what you are seeing of the OpFor dispositions. 

I was watching some other u-tube videos about Squad and I think you can also have medics that come along and unrealistically heal your casualties and immediately return them to battle.  I think I would prefer the float above the battlefield until the match is over setting.  But I really don't have time to devote to this game so I am resisting................ it is tempting.   

I would like to recommend Arma 3. The vanilla game is worthless, but the mods are godly. You can do anything. Do you prefer multiplayer or singleplayer? Campaigns or scenarios? RNG or scripted? WW2 or Modern or even Star Wars? Realistic or arcade-y? Do you want to command a squad, or a platoon -- or not command at all? Tanks, planes, helicopters, surface ships?

Something for Black Sea fans:

It's got US Army, Marines, VDV, MSV, VMF, as well as other branches and uncons a-plenty.

Here's the WW2 stuff:

Keep in mind these aren't the only WW2/Modern mods for this game. Just the tip of the iceberg.

Wow.  I hadn't seen ARMA for many years.  Amazing how the state of the art has progressed.  Am I correct however, that this is online multiplayer and not much good solitaire vs AI?   (If it's good vs AI, I am sold.)

Edited by Erwin

22 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Wow.  I hadn't seen ARMA for many years.  Amazing how the state of the art has progressed.  Am I correct however, that this is online multiplayer and not much good solitaire vs AI?   (If it's good vs AI, I am sold.)

The Arma AI is some of the best AI out there, out of the box. I mostly play singleplayer, or sometimes play co-op with friends. I haven't done PvP in years. There's also at least 2 great AI mods (ASR AI and VCOM), in case you want them to do more. My favourite thing is that you can have a very good strategic AI with MCC4 or ALiVE, creating a dynamic island-wide battlefield. I like to command a platoon and complete randomly generated tasks (also accomplished by either MCC4 or ALiVE).

Some games are great without mods, some games can be greatly improved with mods -- Arma 3 can only be played with mods. Vanilla is silly and there's very little to do.

2 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

I mostly play singleplayer

Now am really interested.  The ARMA I remember years ago was awful for single-player.

Is there a recommended site where to get the ARMA game mods and scenarios and campaigns (similar to CMMODS etc.)?   (Does one d/l or buy disk??)

Am assuming that re the first post in this thread by Vinnart the "One Life Squad" game is only RT multiplayer.  Is that correct?