Spotted in the CMSF manual, what happened to this?

ARMA is on Steam. The Workshop holds all the content. Your wife will have to pry the mouse from your cold dead hands. There are 54,317 mods as I type this. Your computer will blow up before you get them all.

The other game is MP only. On Steam as well. You can pretty much assume if a game isn't by Battlefront or Blizzard it's on Steam.

Mord.

I have no idea. Most everything is digital now a days. Look at it this way. I built a 2400 dollar monstrosity for my 48th birthday a year and a half back. The first thing I did was install Steam and download my games. If it was a danger it wouldn't be on my computer. I don't do anything remotely risky with this beast. You would love it. You know how you are always b****ing about dealing with mods? You know what you do on Steam? You check a subscribe button and they are automatically installed. If you don't want to use one in game, you uncheck it. For a mod fiend like you, it's a dream. And every game you buy goes in your library under one UI. You can even play them offline once you DL. It's a no-brainer.

Not to mention the sales they run. I just got Sniper Elite 4, for $8.99. It debuted at $59.99.

I thought Steam was stupid, 9 years ago when I first had to join it, after buying Left 4 Dead. Not any longer. Don't be a Luddite, Erwin. The future has arrived!

Mord.

Edited by Mord

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

ARMA used to be on disk.  Can one not just buy a copy?  Am not a fan of STEAM or anything that requires me to load extra online-required software on my clean machine.

Why don't you Google it yourself and see? Good lord, it's not hard at all.

All i'm gonna say on the matter as a new guy, is that I think if CM had multiplayer setup like the one seen in the Men of War series, the level of fun would go through the damn roof!

I mean could you imagine just how epic it could be!?

Edited by tankfist

5 hours ago, Mord said:

ARMA is on Steam. The Workshop holds all the content. Your wife will have to pry the mouse from your cold dead hands. There are 54,317 mods as I type this. Your computer will blow up before you get them all.

The other game is MP only. On Steam as well. You can pretty much assume if a game isn't by Battlefront or Blizzard it's on Steam.

Mord.

Oh dear … someone said the 'S' word 😏.

4 hours ago, tankfist said:

All i'm gonna say on the matter as a new guy, is that I think if CM had multiplayer setup like the one seen in the Men of War series, the level of fun would go through the damn roof!

Welcome to the forums. You are in for the time of your wargaming life. CM is the pinnacle of tactical bliss.

Mord.

18 hours ago, Erwin said:

Is there a recommended site where to get the ARMA game mods and scenarios and campaigns (similar to CMMODS etc.)?   (Does one d/l or buy disk??)

I use Steam Workshop, personally. However, Armaholic is still around and has most of the mods. Workshop has "too many" mods, xD.

I think even if you buy Arma 3 on disk, it'll demand that you get Steam. It's a parasite that tricks you into dependence with its forcefully symbiotic ways.

11 hours ago, Mord said:

I built a 2400 dollar monstrosity for my 48th birthday a year and a half back.

I'm guessing it's liquid nitrogen cooled with 64 CPUs, a GPU from NASA, nuclear powered power supply and a terabyte of RAM.

9 hours ago, tankfist said:

Welcome! Any sort of co-op would be fantastic. I've heard of people using the save system to control different units on one side, via PBEM. Sounds promising, but I haven't tried it out.

I'd like to see a persistent TO&E from game to game, like in Battlefleet Gothic Armada.

10 hours ago, LukeFF said:
12 hours ago, Erwin said:

ARMA used to be on disk.  Can one not just buy a copy?  Am not a fan of STEAM or anything that requires me to load extra online-required software on my clean machine.

Why don't you Google it yourself and see? Good lord, it's not hard at all.

True very easy - here is a small video demo http://bfy.tw/JXvH

:D

16 hours ago, tankfist said:

That is what I am getting at with the vid first post which was not to show off Squad per say as cool as it is as FPS, but rather the feeling of what it would be similar to in say a 5v5, 6v6 if Combat Mission offered this for real time play. Imagine the fun of team orientated tactical game play in CM!

My belief is that when the developers first conceived "Iron" mode it was likely to be geared to the Multi-Multiplayer feature they were envisioning to someday implement with players controlling platoons with a force commander coordinating the team. I could envision 3 types of team FOW settings that are separate from "iron", warrior ect...

players.png~original

Hardcore: This setting would be the hardest for the commander to direct the team given the game as it currently is. All they would have to go on are the FOW icons that his units get reports on, what his units actually spot, and reports from the platoon leaders. I can't help but think the commander will need to see more like the tac map the video showed to be able trac and make good decisions, or have some sort of map to track and mark on. Perhaps more frustrating than fun who knows, but there to try.

general.png~original

Regular: This setting gives the commander the view of all the units just like when one plays single player now except they control the least. This simulates the tac map of the Squad video giving the commander the overview to direct the players who only see what their units see. I believe this would create a dynamic co dependency between the players who control more units and the one who sees the most, the commander.

full%20sight.png~original

team%20fow.png~original

Team FOW off: This setting allows the entire team to see the entire force just as one plays single player now. This may be ideal for training, for more casual games, or for fewer players like a 2v2.

Observers: Just as in the squad video when the dude dies and could just watch it would be cool to have slots for people who just want to watch the battle.

And Lastly for Real Time single player to be much more fun and controlable and less frustrating so you know what is going on around while the camera is elsewhere THE ROSTER.

CMRT%20Roster.jpg~original

This would be a hit game! Rarely does a game come forward with something truly original in a genre. Sudden Strike, Men of War, Company of Heroes ect... Are nothing like the game described here. None have a command structure, none have a dynamic FOW system, none really have that realism that there is a strong niche for. I could see lots of ARMA and Squad dudes getting into a RTS/RPG game like this. Real Time RTS offers that same type of rush one gets when playing FPS only less reliant on reflexes.

Edited by Vinnart

37 minutes ago, Vinnart said:

That is what I am getting at with the vid first post which was not to show off Squad per say as cool as it is as FPS, but rather the feeling of what it would be similar to in say a 5v5, 6v6 if Combat Mission offered this for real time play. Imagine the fun of team orientated tactical game play in CM!

My belief is that when the developers first conceived "Iron" mode it was likely to be geared to the Multi-Multiplayer feature they were envisioning to someday implement with players controlling platoons with a force commander coordinating the team. I could envision 3 types of team FOW settings that are separate from "iron", warrior ect...

players.png~original

Hardcore: This setting would be the hardest for the commander to direct the team given the game as it currently is. All they would have to go on are the FOW icons that his units get reports on, what his units actually spot, and reports from the platoon leaders. I can't help but think the commander will need to see more like the tac map the video showed to be able trac and make good decisions, or have some sort of map to track and mark on. Perhaps more frustrating than fun who knows, but there to try.

general.png~original

Regular: This setting gives the commander the view of all the units just like when one plays single player now except they control the least. This simulates the tac map of the Squad video giving the commander the overview to direct the players who only see what their units see. I believe this would create a dynamic co dependency between the players who control more units and the one who sees the most, the commander.

full%20sight.png~original

team%20fow.png~original

Team FOW off: This setting allows the entire team to see the entire force just as one plays single player now. This may be ideal for training, for more casual games, or for fewer players like a 2v2.

Observers: Just as in the squad video when the dude dies and could just watch it would be cool to have slots for people who just want to watch the battle.

And Lastly for Real Time single player to be much more fun and controlable and less frustrating so you know what is going on around while the camera is elsewhere THE ROSTER.

CMRT%20Roster.jpg~original

This would be a hit game! Rarely does a game come forward with something truly original in a genre. Sudden Strike, Men of War, Company of Heroes ect... Are nothing like the game described here. None have a command structure, none have a dynamic FOW system, none really have that realism that there is a strong niche for. I could see lots of ARMA and Squad dudes getting into a RTS/RPG game like this. Real Time RTS offers that same type of rush one gets when playing FPS only less reliant on reflexes.

Woaawww this really something that I like, this give us directly an overview of ours troops and see the last situation on the spot, instead jumping with the keyboard taste, I don't think this will take too much of the battlefield screen overview, and when yes, we have something very interesting to see permanently,...

When this is a future mod or an add on to CM system, I will follow and give my voice to added it...

Thank you Sir Vinnart to post it very good ideas...

• 3 weeks later...

My wish list includes an option for both sides to have some (or all) forces under AI control, with plans, triggers, etc. Seems more doable within the current engine than full multiplayer. 

So a player can command a subunit that's part of a larger engagement. Or doesn't have (unrealistic) control over his armour support. Or a designer can even design a war movie then watch the computer duke it out both sides, viewing via Test mode.

56 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

My wish list includes an option for both sides to have some (or all) forces under AI control, with plans, triggers, etc. Seems more doable within the current engine than full multiplayer. 

So a player can command a subunit that's part of a larger engagement. Or doesn't have (unrealistic) control over his armour support. Or a designer can even design a war movie then watch the computer duke it out both sides, viewing via Test mode.

+1000

We all know CM was made for stuff like this.

We'll call it Steel Panthers mode :D

Edited by Artkin

2 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

For me ability to play turn based PBEM with 2 or more players on one side would be enough. No need to support more complex  RT game modes.

I think the basic idea could be very simple:

- during setup phase players would choose units that each player would control
- during later turns each player would make their turn and send them to a Dropbox folder (or some similar file sharing service).. Once all players of same side have made their  turn, the game would read commands from all turn files, combine them to one and produce the next turn file for the opponent. This file would be sent to them

- you would also need some way for reassign units if some player is unable to continue and select units tha arrive as reinforcements. Otherwise everything would work like currently.

• 2 weeks later...