First try at a scenario: questions

A little late to the party but I'll add...

The map editor painted setup zone is for the human player. It limits where you can place your units at startup. No moving your men to the victory zone before hitting 'start'. You need to stay within the setup area. The AI side either keeps the forces where they were dropped in the editor or places them according to where the initial AI group setup is painted. If you go a bit crazy painting your AI group setup location the AI will interpret that that as being granted leeway to choose how it can place the units.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just create a new scenario in the editor, go to briefing and click export.....Then tell it where to save the file.

You can then fill it in, re-save it under an appropriate new name and import it back into your scenario.

HTH

LOL ahh why did I not think of that..   Reverse engineering...… Well done, thanks!

greatly appreciated as I am just finishing up a new Scenario for Italy.

Cheers,

James

• 9 months later...
33 minutes ago, Bubba883XL said:

A little late to this post but I too would love to make missions look more official etc. 

Is their an in-depth tutorial some where? I saw one was mentioned? 

Mission making as a whole or just briefings?  Have you read the scenario tutorial that bundles with all of the games?

6 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Mission making as a whole or just briefings?  Have you read the scenario tutorial that bundles with all of the games?

i didn't realise there was one? i think i can sort the mission building and ai plans out, but its more the briefings etc, maps, and pictures etc

17 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

i didn't realise there was one? i think i can sort the mission building and ai plans out, but its more the briefings etc, maps, and pictures etc

Yes there is one - just click the folder where your game is installed - the image below is my CMFB install, the tutorial is the first item underneath the mod tools folder:

1887186226_CMFBDirectory.thumb.jpg.67313a0c4fa08f7b966dabc15a7c1d61.jpg

As to briefings and graphics - it really is a matter of taste.  I knock up all of my briefing images in Powerpoint, screen grab them and resize them in simple old Paint - I know lots of people use photoshop and very fancy drawing programs for their briefing graphics but I haven't got the time, energy or inclination to buy these programs and learn them.  You are free to disagree with me but my nuts and bolts Powerpoint/Paint approach produces results that I'm satisfied with and having released countless missions across four of the game's titles I've yet to have anyone say that the graphics were cr@p.

To illustrate the point, here are some examples for a mission based on the Battle of Ap Bac during the Vietnam War (hence the black and white imagery and 1960's font on parts of the images) that I will eventually finish for @37mm's awesome Heaven and Earth mod for CMSF2:

914053199_BlueTacticalMap.jpg.bb947593b0484b2b3589e63b8b8541ce.jpg

The above is the tactical map.

922258379_BlueOperationalMap.jpg.0e349f926dc5fa59ac0b7616d529d6b2.jpg

The above is the operational map (technically it isn't operational - but that is the image slot it has to fit into).

If you want my take on scenario design (including briefings and images), I did a tutorial on it here:

Note that this was for CMSF 1 so there are no tips on triggers or any of the new tools that came in with later versions of the engine (the same is true with the scenario design tutorial that bundles with the game) however the mechanics of about 80% of the current editor are the same as those for CMSF 1.

Edited by Combatintman

4 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

ok, so how the hell (lol) do you get a picture down to such low resolutions for the title screen image? 170x170 ? are we serious? lol

I open the image with Paint.  Click on resize (top left of the Paint program window).  Select Pixels.  Enter 170 x 170.  Save. 

I didn't find the version of paint i have as easy as that, only found a crop section, which would let you choose a pixel dimention within the picture, so as soon as you select 170x170, you only get a small part of the original pic, however i found how to do it with infranview, and it also keeps the apsect ratio.