poesel

symlinking mods under macos

I've symlinked a mod folder into the Z folder but it seems that CMBN doesn't recognize the mods. Is there a reason why this doesn't work?

Nelson:Z markus$ pwd
/Applications/CM Battle for Normandy/CM Battle for Normandy.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Z
Nelson:Z markus$ ln -s /Volumes/Jack/CM/Mods/HQS\ 2.6/ HQS
Nelson:Z markus$ ls -la
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   3 markus  staff   96 21 Jul 14:14 .
drwxrwxr-x  25 501     staff  800 21 Jul 13:53 ..
lrwxr-xr-x   1 markus  staff   30 21 Jul 14:14 HQS -> /Volumes/Jack/CM/Mods/HQS 2.6/

LOL I think he knows that. He is wondering why an OS file system feature would not work for mods. I'm not a Mac user so I have no idea but I would have thought that the application would not have any idea that files were symlinked and it would just work.

Possibly inbuilt security(?) as all of the CM game files are enclosed within the app package - possibly an insurmountable barrier to linking to external aliases.

3 minutes ago, Wicky said:

Possibly inbuilt security(?) as all of the CM game files are enclosed within the app package - possibly an insurmountable barrier to linking to external aliases.

FB has external files and it works. CM itself can be started from anywhere in the file system. Why would BFC go to lengths to forbid symlinks?

Why am I doing this? To save space. The laptop is a bit low on disk space and the mods work for 3-4 games.

19 minutes ago, poesel said:

Why would BFC go to lengths to forbid symlinks?

Not BFC but Apple - due to it being inside of the package of the App at a guess.

CMBN is a legacy design of sorts.  It pre-dates M$osft's separation of data folder out from program folders.  If aliases work for CMFI, CMRT, and CMFB but not CMBN then I would suspect it's likely because of something related to that "older" directory structure.

For once Microsoft is not at fault here. This is on MacOS. :)

I will try with the other games. Maybe there is a difference.

Sym links or similar were very flaky on Windows. If I were to attempt this kind of thing on a Windows box I would expect it to not work.