Canadian Defense - CMSF 2 BETA AAR #2 (Quick Battle)

8 hours ago, IanL said:

I am not seeing the disposable M72 LAW on my troops but the larger re-loadable launchers are there. I'll check what the intent is.

Yes. At night units equipped with night vision will wear them.

That I do not know about. This is set in 2008 - were they in use on C9s at that time. I see from the Wikipedia page for the C79 that the were designed to fit on the C9. I could not confirm their use in the field though. Does anyone know about that?

thanks for the response, yes i would love to see the disposable launchers modelled on the soldiers! it was in CMBS and i found it very useful unlike in CMSF1 where you have to hover over your unit to see which one has it etc, it would be ashame if it wasnt in the game. 

loving the aar btw

1 hour ago, DougPhresh said:

I was in the military at that time (well, until last month actually!) and we absolutely had C79s on our C9s.

Maybe Reserve Units didn't (set eq. to Poor maybe?) but we sure did even in the Artillery.

Also, can so-sign on LAV commanders being lower down, additionally the MG on the LAV and Coyote was not remote operated.

We carried as many LAWs as possible as it was the only way to bust up what we called "Grape Huts" which were thick mud brick agricultural buildings.

I'm happy to answer as many CF related questions as I can as one of the things I liked best about CMSF was seeing "myself" represented in a major wargame.

e: The C9s we had in Afghanistan were the improved C9A2 which has the same buttstock as the C7 and comes issued with the C79 and has green furniture like the C7A2.
c9a2-cc.png?crc=516059457

did basically everyone have a LAW (if possible)? including ARs, 2ic and section lead? in CMSF1 theres only two per section, and I thought personally that was a bit low. seems like it should be 4-6 at least.

Edited by dasitmane

I'd say 4-6 plus more in the LAV. Especially in the areas of Kandahar Province that were relatively green, those grape huts were everywhere and the LAW was the only thing we could carry on patrol that would be able to engage them.

This is from an article but it does a good job of describing why we needed to carry LAWs when clearing fields:

Now he's learning this new terrain. There are the long mud walls that support grape rows. They hide the enemy and slow the march.

One of the unique things about fighting in this part of Afghanistan are the structures called "grape huts." This is where the farmers in this region take their grapes and dry them into the raisins this part of Afghanistan is famous for. But the insidious thing for U.S. forces is that these grape hut walls, these mud walls, are more than two feet thick. The American rifle cannot penetrate this and yet there are all these slits that are just perfect for snipers.

The troops find weapons caches in grape huts and the huts are often booby trapped. So Durso's men clear them with explosives.

Not my photo, but this is what the fields in the area look like, and why Grape Huts were such a big threat.

DSCN1380.jpg

21 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

Nice demo of the hill down command :)

Yes, I need to get used to using it more now it is there. I still go by eye most of the time having played so long without it (grid mod helps too). Ok HULL DOWN you're getting a hotkey on the N52!

C9 in the game has been 'Canadianized' but they're still listed as 'C9' in the game, not C9A2. Remember the title takes place 12 years ago. I'll ask Steve about fitting the optics. He did it for the US and Marine SAW. I think with the sight attached its called C9A1.

Canadian C9.jpg

Edited by MikeyD

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Remember the title takes place 12 years ago.

Anecdotal, but the C9A2 was filtering into battalion at least in '04.

C9A2 refers to a modernized version instituted after combat experience in Afghanistan in 2002

The manual also specifically includes the C79 as an integral component of the weapons system.

http://biblioteka.mycity-military.com/biblioteka/Diemaco/C9 Light Machine Gun.pdf

3 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

Anecdotal, but the C9A2 was filtering into battalion at least in '04.

The manual also specifically includes the C79 as an integral component of the weapons system.

http://biblioteka.mycity-military.com/biblioteka/Diemaco/C9 Light Machine Gun.pdf

Contributions like this help make the game better for us all. Thanks for sharing @DougPhresh

Now if @IanL loses this battle to Bil it will be because his men didn't have the correct optics.😁

Minute 1:58-1:57:

The next minute is mostly a waiting game for 18 Troop. Nothing is happening in the valley below where they can see. The nearby infantry are aware that something is in the valley.

20180731100534-0fb2168c.jpg

MCpl Ray Morrison steadied himself as he had done many times now. He was working hard to get his first kill here in Syria. He had a handful from his first tour in Afghanistan but none so far in Syria. Just before he was ready to fire his target ducked down behind the hill. Dam it that should have been easy. I was just about to chastise himself some more when bullets started hitting the building they were in. “Time to go boys!” He would have much preferred to spend time in a position where he could take a few shots but the plan here was for his team to give an early warning of the enemy’s approach and his radio man was just finishing up his report.

Ray was promised more time once he worked his way back to the village or 14 Platoon’s position whichever he preferred. He planned to hold the CO to that.

The Sniper team takes fire.

20180731100535-8290e537.jpg

Members of 15 Platoon are giving me plenty of intel too. They can see the BMP approaching and firing on the farm.

20180731100535-60ebd8bd.jpg

14 Platoon are approaching their destination.

20180731100536-12f115e1.jpg

Minute 157: Orders

No real change to 14 Platoon. 2 Section has just a slight weak to their orders. The other section have taken over their previous position.

20180731100537-19e39eaf.jpg

Sniper team leaves the building and takes cover at the edge of the ravine. They can rest there for a big and then continue further to the rear.

20180731100538-7a0980cd.jpg

Minute 1:57-1:56:

MCpl Ray Morrison’s team make a clean get away.

20180731100538-0c0c946f.jpg

Members of 15 Platoon can see a handful of contacts now. A T55, three BMP2s and a truck with an ATGM team. Here is the view with the icons on.

20180731100539-2528777d.jpg

From the team’s perspective.

20180731100540-c3ed645d.jpg

18 Troop’s ambush is blown. Bil has infantry leading the advance over the edge of the hill. That is not really a surprise, disappointing that their presence is now known but on the up side they dispatch the scout efficiently.

20180731100541-b4c61d52.jpg

Minute 156: Orders

With the ambush in the valley now blown. The tanks of 18 Troop reposition to catch anyone coming over the crest. Sgt Laurin pulls back. His tank can still see the opposite ridge but no longer has eyes on the valley floor.

20180731100541-d3608e8a.jpg

Sgt Gagnon will move forward to protect their flank but also positioned to catch any one coming over the edge.

20180731100542-42810c59.jpg

Lt Finnegan calls in some mortar fire on the far side of KT1 where MCpl Morrison spotted the ATGM team setting up. Look at those call times – less than a minute for organic mortars on a TRP. Sweet.

20180731100543-18aca616.jpg

MCpl Morrison’s team continue their track to the ravine.

20180731100544-8ab30467.jpg

Members of 14 Platoon are very nearly in position on KT8

20180731100544-75d6ce8c.jpg

1 minute ago, IanL said:

Members of 15 Platoon can see a handful of contacts now. A T55, three BMP2s and a truck with an ATGM team. Here is the view with the icons on.

20180731100539-2528777d.jpg

T55s - interesting. I am pretty sure those are BMP2s. So, I was expecting T72s and perhaps even T90s. Also interesting is that there are very few vehicles left in the setup area, which means they have moved on.

23 minutes ago, c3k said:

I love the deep eyes your troop positions have given you.

Me to. I am very pleased.

Unfortunately there is a limit to what I can do with that info. Call times for the 105s by the section leader on the hill is 10 minutes - which is useless for picking off individual vehicles. I'm going to have to settle for knowing what is going on. Keep in mind with T55s there could be three possibly four companies of vehicles out there and my guys have spotted what a platoons worth. There is still a lot of unknowns here.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

T55s - interesting. I am pretty sure those are BMP2s. So, I was expecting T72s and perhaps even T90s. Also interesting is that there are very few vehicles left in the setup area, which means they have moved on.

That's a long T-55, with a curious muzzle breaks... where's the gap behind the first road wheel?

Haha! Not a chance. WW2 stuff I know quite well, but this.. this is a mystery wrapped in an enigma told as a riddle. I had to look this up for my own sake earlier today as I can’t tell the damned things apart to save my life! It just came in handy now, when it was brought up here. ;)

3 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

Knowing the call times for the on map mortars vs the 105's; would you trade them for more on map mortars?

Oh no that's an apples and bricks comparison. The <1 min for the 81mm mortars is for the FO calling on a TRP. The 10 min is for a Section leader calling on just his vision on an area. I'll look at the times for the FO calling the 105s on a TRP and compare apples to oranges.

Indeed you seem to have achieved valuable observation on a substantial part of the enemy forces. Regarding the mistaken T-55s, in my experience the T-55 vs T-62 in CMSF didn't make a big difference capability wise. Especially when playing against them as BLUE. I don't have a lot of experience with  those C2's, but think any T-62 or T-55 is definitely handicapped vs the C2.