CMSF 2 BETA AAR #2 – Syrian Probe (Quick Battle)

2 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Did I understand that correctly, the stock sound icons do differ between tanks and armored vehicles? If so, then they are indeed damned hard to decipher as I've never noticed such a difference.

Affirmative.  There are FOW icons for light and for heavy armor... they look almost the same and unless side by side its tough to see the difference.

Heavy Armor:

icon+syr+red+fow_heavy_tank+1.bmp

Light Armor:

icon+syr+red+fow_light_tank+1.bmp

44 minutes ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

Affirmative.  There are FOW icons for light and for heavy armor... they look almost the same and unless side by side its tough to see the difference.

Heavy Armor:

Light Armor:

Not trying to steal the thread, but Bil, how are you going to make FOW icons? Looking at the MIL-STD-2525B, I don't see what can be used for FOW unless you use the UNKNOWN Symbol.

55 minutes ago, JohnO said:

Not trying to steal the thread, but Bil, how are you going to make FOW icons? Looking at the MIL-STD-2525B, I don't see what can be used for FOW unless you use the UNKNOWN Symbol.

I can't tag IanL in this thread because he is the opponent (OPSEC strikes again) but he has a great NATO floating icon set for CMSF1 and CMBS. Because the icon graphics and file structure in CMSF2 should be similar to CMBS, it should be very easy to port the icons into CMSF2 when it releases. 

That said, I recall Bil having his own icon set for CMSF1, and for the same reasons I think they should be easy to import into CMSF2.

36 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

hat said, I recall Bil having his own icon set for CMSF1, and for the same reasons I think they should be easy to import into CMSF2.

I believe he'd have to update them. They've added quite a few to the mix since SF was released.

Mord.

4 minutes ago, Mord said:

I believe he'd have to update them. They've added quite a few to the mix since SF was released.

Mord.

There will be additional units, such as MANPADs and the like, but all of these units already have icons made for them in CMBS. It should just be a simple task of copying and pasting icons and names. Should be relatively easy, after all that's part of the reason they're bringing CMSF up to current engine standards. 

1 minute ago, Mord said:

I meant Bil's old SF mod would have to be updated, unless he made one for BS, then all is good.

Mord.

I do have a version for CMBS that I never released (that I never finished it because I rarely played that game)... I am modifying it for CMSF2.  I am sure there will be plenty of options for floating icons once the game is released.

14 hours ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

Heavy Armor:

Light Armor:

Thanks, I have indeed never really noticed that!

I really enjoy your AARs btw, they are well made and great fun to follow!

MINUTE 9

2nd Platoon

Well, I left the RPG gunner to his own devices with regards to firing at the Leo or not... my final words to him were, "if you decide to shoot, DON"T F***ing miss!!"  

Guess what he does?

He fires... RPG round is within the red circle.

09-001.png

...he misses, and pays the ultimate price.  Just can't get an advantage here.

09-002.png

MINUTE 10

In the next turn, the Leo pulled off its forward position and back towards its brother.  This image shows start position, the movement path and the position it ended up on.

10-001.png

A Company

The T-62M was ordered to move as quickly as possible across the field go over the lip into the ravine, and see what he could see...

10-002.png

Best laid plans and all that... what happened was the T-62 bogged on its way with the following result... 

10-003.png

...what took him out?  An ATGM from, I think the buildings in the second objective.  I have a very steep hill to climb in this one.. and am not sure I have the force to do him much damage.  Ian is using the terrain very well and I have only clearly spotted the one HQ Team on the Farm Objective and the two Leos on the far left.  

10-004.png

MINUTE 11

We are going to be cease firing in this one... I would pull out of this sector.  I came in with the wrong force for the terrain, and Ian is positioned too well for me to make a dent.  Can't seem to find the angles and I am getting hit by units that I can't spot in return.  It was the perfect storm.  All that would happen if we continue is that I would lose everything, and though that would be fun to see I'm sure for you, would not be enjoyable for me.  ;) 

This turn I lost a BMP-3.. I could have sworn this vehicle was masked as it drove behind the ridge... damn...

11-001.png

But the kicker was this one...the T-62 (1975) was hit, by I think the same ATGM team that killed its mate... double damn.

11-002.png

11-003.png

So congrats to Ian, he played an outstanding and perfect game... I never was able to take advantage of any weakness, but I didn't see any.

What a fascinating battle, and I totally agree - pushing forward would just decimate you, and at least now you know where he is (in the grand scheme of things). 

I'm playing a custom CMBS scenario, as UKR, against @sburke and I feel my biggest failure so far is my artillery work. The FS is deliberately a little random in timing, size  and quality so it's hard to properly plan, but still.

I loved this AAR, and the previous one, for its exemplary lessons in use of terrain. SF2 arty work, I assume, is similar to CMBS. 

I'd deeply appreciate one that helps show how to use artillery in offense/defense. Eg a concentrated, heavily supported attack into a prepared urban/rough defense. 

Doesn't have to be big, just with some decent FS to play with on both sides. 

Thanks for the time and effort in putting on the show Bil. Just goes to show how quick the tap out can come in the deadlier modern battlefield. I'm sure Baneman feels a little vindicated too now in a round about way seeing the tables turned. From following Ian's side I agree he played a good game especially in his use of the terrain to advantage. You're right in that you both have similar play styles. Even your presentation style is similar.

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!   

A cease-fire??? Your men's honor demands they be given at least a chance to prove their devotion! Allow them to attack. No more "probing" or "watching" or "peeking": unleash them on a direct line upon the enemy! Even if they do not achieve victory, their blood will fertilize the fields upon which the hopes of future patriots will blossom. THAT will be sufficient victory for them. Trust me, I know what is important in their little lives.

Sigh.

It’s painful to take constant losses for no gains in position, materiel, or intelligence. It’s unfortunate to see this educational and entertaining AAR end prematurely but I can see how there really isn’t a lot of joy in it for you. Thanks for all the effort, Bil. I look forward to your next one. 

11 hours ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

...though that would be fun to see I'm sure for you, would not be enjoyable for me.

Frustration is understandable and we've all been there.  But, when one is up against the superior player, or the odds, it's better to continue.  Not nice to bail just cos one thinks one is losing.  Very often by fighting on one can pull the chestnuts out of the fire and get a win - esp if your oppo has a dose of hubris and gets overconfident.  Also, you may underestimate your opp's pain.  Have personally experienced those sorts of reversals and now have the philosophy in games as in life that one "never, ever gives up".

I think the cease fire is appropriate, Bil. Unless you have one hell of a lot of arty or can mass zerg rush the Leos somehow, the next guys to stick their noses up seem pretty likely to get the same medicine. 

I was suprised at Ian having liberty to set up so far forward and have his tanks' right flank semi-shielded by the map edge. It made for a very 'tight' battleground in spite of the map size. To me, it had a Prokhorovka feel, i.e. the moment you crest out of your starting positions and get eyes on you're already in deep kaka. Recon by death doesn't benefit you if you don't then have the hammer to hurt him. 

And that's typical of the "damned if you do/don't" conundrum the Syrian mech always faces on the attack.

A meeting engagement, forcing both sides to scramble and deploy, might have made for a more even match.