Hot info ref WW II Italian infantry squad organization

A guy on CoC was asking about the Italians, and I mentioned to him the Italian squad fought as a single team. Man, did I get schooled! This is really important information, I believe, and I've asked him for references. TFL is Too Fat Lardies, the guys/firm which makes CoC. 

Stephen Philp Actually the Italians did use teams. It's well documented. The 15 man squadras in the Beraglieri and Alpini broke down into a 5 man LMG group (gruppo mitragliatori) under the caporale and a 8 man Rifle group (gruppo fucilieri) under the sergente for the squadra. The 20 man groups in the Fucilieri regiments broke down into a 9 man gruppo mitragliatori commanded by a 'corporal major' with 2 LMGs ('machine rifles') and an 10 man fucilieri group. The whole squadra was commanded by a Suttofficiale. Some of the period docs are in the share. Others have been discussed at length on the TFL forum. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155824549384366&set=p.10155824549384366&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Stephen Philp

No automatic alt text available.

The extensive TFL Forum discussion, including links to primary period docs, is below.

John Kettler
Edited by John Kettler

General Liederkranz,

Appreciate the info, but could've sworn I read a bunch of complaints about not being able to break down the Italian squads into teams and of how difficult the Italians were to use. I don't own CMFI in any form but was trying to help. In any event, I'm sure that TFL thread will be quite tasty to some. 

Regards,

John Kettler

14 hours ago, John Kettler said:

General Liederkranz,

Appreciate the info, but could've sworn I read a bunch of complaints about not being able to break down the Italian squads into teams and of how difficult the Italians were to use. I don't own CMFI in any form but was trying to help. In any event, I'm sure that TFL thread will be quite tasty to some. 

Regards,

John Kettler

The Italians are already split into teams by default in most of their formations.  

Ivan Zaitsev,

Well, I suppose having played in one game does make me a player, but I don't even have the rules yet. They're being shipped from the UK, but I'm in the US. It's a great game system with some truly clever mechanics. If you go to the CoC FB Forum, you can see pics from my maiden game, together with the extended descriptions. All to the good, and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting some great people, but I sure wish I could again play CM!

Regards,

John Kettler

21 hours ago, John Kettler said:

could've sworn I read a bunch of complaints about not being able to break down the Italian squads into teams and of how difficult the Italians were to use.

6 hours ago, Sulomon said:

The Italians are already split into teams by default in most of their formations.  

In CMFI the Italian infantry squad is generally broke down into two large teams.  The disadvantage (and probably the posts you remember John) is that the two Italian teams cannot be further manipulated with the Administrative commands. 

The German, Commonwealth and American squads are generally broke down into three teams.  Then under Administrative commands the German, Commonwealth and American player has the following choices: Split Team, Assault Team, Ati-Tank Team, Scout Team and Combine Squad. 

This is one of the things that make the Italians more of a challenge to command in a scenario.  IMO it's also one of the interesting things about CMFI.  Really looking forward to the Rome to Victory module.