uncam: Combat Mission campaign extractor

On 5/16/2019 at 12:37 AM, Vergeltungswaffe said:

I'll take it that's a no...

Not sure.....I think @Rokko may have missed a 't' in this comment

On 2/5/2019 at 6:53 PM, Rokko said:

For now, uncam can do two things really well, which Mad Mike's tool (I always forget the spelling) can't and that is extracting CMA and CMSF1 campaigns and (T)his tool is the only one able to extract updated CMSF2 campaigns, so everyone should be covered.

But I could be wrong, I often am.  :unsure:

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello,

I haven't touched CM in ages, having mostly lost interest in it, but today I had an itch and looked at the code I had written for the uncam tool and somehow ended up rewriting the entire thing in one setting. I fixed some issues and it should be possible to unpack CMCW campaigns as well as potentially campaigns of yet unreleased games, as long as BF does not muck with the file format. Anyways, I don't have CMCW so I can't test and there are no campaign files in the scenario depot. If it doesn't work, send me the campaign file (or a download link) and I can take a look at it. I don't even have a Windows PC anymore, so I couldn't test the Windows version either, so please report any issues.

Best regards

PS: If anyone wants the source code, feel free to ask but I didn't include it this time in the archive.

uncam-0.10.zip

Edited by Rokko

9 hours ago, Rokko said:

Glad to hear it. While unpacking some more random campaign files I found one that didn't work and fixed another edge case, so here goes v0.10.1

uncam-0.10.1.zip 757.57 kB · 4 downloads

Any chance it's now extracting the Campaign Script, Core Unit Files and Campaign Briefings etc? The .btt file that puts the whole campaign together?

3 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Any chance it's now extracting the Campaign Script, Core Unit Files and Campaign Briefings etc? The .btt file that puts the whole campaign together?

Sadly. no. While I can clearly identify the blob of bytes were all this information must be stored, it bears no resemblance to a normal .btt file and contains no clear text either, i.e., it's likely compressed data. The campaign script is extracted, however, at least partially, so you get rest/refit percentages, win thresholds and the overall campaign progression.

17 hours ago, Rokko said:

Sadly. no. While I can clearly identify the blob of bytes were all this information must be stored, it bears no resemblance to a normal .btt file and contains no clear text either, i.e., it's likely compressed data. The campaign script is extracted, however, at least partially, so you get rest/refit percentages, win thresholds and the overall campaign progression.

Oh well thanks still for your efforts. :) 

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Jarl said:

Hey guys, i've been looking around for this tool, but cannot find any downloads that is working, can anyone give me a link or share the file again ?

I would love to have this tool :)

4 posts above yours.

• 6 months later...
On 7/12/2018 at 4:19 PM, Rokko said:

Hello,

I had pretty much given up on CM back in 2016 for various reasons and mostly lost interest in anything CM related as well. The announcment of CMSF2 has brought me back somewhat and, coincidentally, I am currently learning a new programming language. So I decided to write a little application I had wanted to write even way back then, which can extract scenarios from campaign files so you can look at them in the editor or edit them. Mad Mike's ScAnCaDe is a great tool for parsing scenario files, extracting campaigns and visualizing scenario and campaign metadata. However, it does not work with the 'legacy' CM games Shock Force 1 and Afghanistan. Also, who knows if Mad Mike is still around to update it anymore for future versions. He did a great job deciphering the various campaign file formats that have existed throughout CM's lifetime and much of what I did is based on his groundwork (which involves a lot of staring at hundreds of rows of bytecode and figuring out which bytes stand for which variables), so credit where credit is due. And while according to the devs you should be able to play any old campaign in CMSF2 out of the box, now you can also extract the scenario files from these campaigns and update them to the new engine standards, even if the original creators are now longer around.

I decided to focus on the extraction part and didn't bother with any of the metadata listing and visualizing. The tool should be able to extract any campaign file from any CM game so far and should also work with CMSF2 once it's released. I originally wanted to extract every bit of information required to also recompile the campaign from the extracted data without any further input, but that proved to be more difficult than I anticipated because some of that information is compressed or decrypted within the campaign files and I have not found a way yet how to extract that. This includes the campaign victory/loss texts and the complete core units and campaign briefing data. Maybe I will manage to add this at a later point. For now the scenario extraction works really well however, but I need some feedback from others. I don't have any CM games installed currently besides Shock Force and thus have only been able to  thorougly test the CMSF stock campaign as well as many campaigns downloaded from the Scenario Depot. So if anyone finds a campaign that does not work, make sure to post or send me the error log file that should be created. Usage of the application is as simple as it can be, just put the .exe file in a directory that contains any number of campaign files and start the executable.

uncam-0.9.zip

You are my favourite person from now on. Thank you for making such a simple tool available.

I'm afraid I had a horrible computer crash a few years back and lost everything CM-related and now I can access all the campaign files and perhaps rework them.

Thanks

PT

2 hours ago, Paper Tiger said:

You are my favourite person from now on. Thank you for making such a simple tool available.

I'm afraid I had a horrible computer crash a few years back and lost everything CM-related and now I can access all the campaign files and perhaps rework them.

Thanks

PT

Hi guy I dont know you because I starting to post on this forum after you go, but I saw a lot of yours mods and there were already interresting, just to say, welcome back to the forum that never died !

Heemm I think I missed to see the day that this post was on the forum !😊

Cheers

Edited by JM Stuff

6 hours ago, Paper Tiger said:

Thanks

PT

Good to see you here PT.  I can't recall the last time you posted.  Doing any more of your amazing campaigns??

I just burned out after CMBN Market Garden, I guess. Even before starting the maps, the RESEARCH that was required to make a campaign like the three I made for CMBN was a massive undertaking. I'm going to take it VERY slowly but yes, I plan to make some new content. I doubt very much I'll ever make anything like 'The Road to Nijmegen' again because some of the missions in that featured an entire reinforced battalion and that exceeds my pain threshold for RTS. I can DO it but I miss so much of the action in RT because I'm too focused on what platoon X is doing and that's a lot of the fun in CM for me. I like to get the camera down to ground level and see the action from my pixel troops' POV rather than the God view.

I expect you'll see campaigns with reinforced company sized actions and a few smaller reinforced platoon missions to change the pace from me. But there's quite a lot changed with regards to AI scripting - more groups is always going to result in better AI plans but the triggers were relatively new when I last played and I didn't see much need for them. I'd like to see what some of the other guys have doe with the new scripting and see if it's better.

21 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Hi guy I dont know you because I starting to post on this forum after you go, but I saw a lot of yours mods and there were already interresting, just to say, welcome back to the forum that never died !

Heemm I think I missed to see the day that this post was on the forum !😊

Cheers

Trust me, I'm grateful. Without your tool, I wouldn't be able to do anything with my CM campaigns because I lost everything. I got the campaign script and all the missions with your tool. Some of the missions are missing an OB but I know what's missing because they're variants of the main missions.