Will there ever be a regular RTS control method?

I've tried to get into the game for years, (via the Normandy demo) but I keep bouncing off of it, mostly because of the abysmal controls. (The graphics are also pretty poor, but I can easily look past that) I've been playing games for 20 years, in every genre there is, but this game's camera and movement feels like an odd mix of control schemes, and none of them feel right.

Is there any chance this will ever be addressed?

Edited by Johnlondon125

When did you last try it? In one of the updates they added two new camera control schemes, one of which is labeled RTS. I'm not in front of the game ATM but in the options panel there is a way to change the camera control scheme.

I tried the other schemes and really don't understand the appeal, bloody confusing. I guess 'cause I'm used to the original controls.

I like the RTS camera because you can right click to bring up command menus rather than tapping the space bar all the time, unfortunately  the mouse wheel zooms in and out rather than changing height and it’s not something that can be adjusted in a text file. 

I don't believe my mousewheel is bound to anything unless I press it in. This is my hotkeys file. Ignore line of "////" below

////////////////////////////////////////////

// You can edit this file to modify various in-game functions and hot-key based commands. Use of special characters (shift, alt, control, numpad or function keys) is not permitted. The letter in <>'s (E,F or G) designates the language (English, French or German).

Command Keys Direct
//FAST
<E>,
//QUICK
<E>M
//MOVE
<E>N
//SLOW
<E>B
//HUNT
<E>L
//ASSAULT
<E>
//REVERSE
<E>G
//BLAST
<E>
//MARK MINES
<E>
//CLEAR MINES
<E>I
//HULL DOWN
<E>.
//TARGET
<E>T
//TARGET LIGHT
<E>Y
//TARGET ARC
<E>K
//CLEAR TARGET
<E>
//FACE
<E>R
//TARGET SMOKE
<E> 
//TARGET ARMOR ARC
<E>
//TARGET BRIEFLY
<E> 
//DEPLOY WEAPON
<E>/
//PAUSE
<E>P
//HIDE
<E>H
//DISMOUNT
<E>U
//BAIL OUT
<E> 
//OPEN UP
<E>O
//POP SMOKE
<E>;
//ACQUIRE
<E> 
//SPLIT TEAMS
<E>H
//ASSAULT TEAM
<E> 
//ANTITANK TEAM
<E> 
//SCOUT TEAM
<E> 
//DRIVER TEAM
<E> 
//CONSOLIDATE SQUAD
<E>J

Camera Keys
//MOVE FORWARD
<E>W
//MOVE LEFT
<E>A
//MOVE RIGHT
<E>D
//MOVE BACK
<E>S
//ROTATE LEFT
<E>X
//ROTATE RIGHT
<E>C
//REVERSE DIRECTION
<E>
//RAISE
<E>Q
//LOWER
<E>Z
//ZOOM OUT
<E>-
//ZOOM IN
<E>+
//WIDE ANGLE
<E>'

Camera Keys FPS
//MOVE FORWARD
<E>W
//MOVE LEFT
<E>A
//MOVE RIGHT
<E>D
//MOVE BACK
<E>S
//ROTATE LEFT
<E>Q
//ROTATE RIGHT
<E>E
//REVERSE DIRECTION
<E>V
//RAISE
<E>R
//LOWER
<E>F
//ZOOM OUT
<E>Z
//ZOOM IN
<E>X
//WIDE ANGLE
<E>C

Camera Keys RTS
//MOVE FORWARD
<E>W
//MOVE LEFT
<E>A
//MOVE RIGHT
<E>D
//MOVE BACK
<E>S
//ROTATE LEFT
<E>Q
//ROTATE RIGHT
<E>E
//REVERSE DIRECTION
<E>V
//RAISE
<E>R
//LOWER
<E>F
//ZOOM OUT
<E>Z
//ZOOM IN
<E>X
//WIDE ANGLE
<E>C

Misc Keys
//SELECT PREVIOUS UNIT
<E>
//SELECT NEXT UNIT
<E>
//3D MODEL QUALITY (-)
<E>{
//3D MODEL QUALITY (+)
<E>}
//TALK TO INTERNET OPPONENT
<E>\

John, I came from hardcore RTS roots before coming to CM. Grant it out of the box it is more WEGO friendly as that is where BF's focus has been, but I tell you controlling CM in a very fast efficient RTS fashion is certainly possible and I would say I like the control of it a lot.

For the camera I prefer the default setting, but I agree it needs some getting used to as it is different to other games, Once you get used to it though, I think  the camera controls are great and easy to control. I play pretty much only CM now so there is no muscle memory confusion, so trying the other camera control settings is a good idea, and see what feels most natural to you.

For controlling this, and any other PC game/program to its fullest potential I suggest investing in two things which can be programmed any way you like. First, invest in a mouse with as many programmable buttons as possible. I have a Logitech g7 with 12 buttons. Great mouse for everything! Second, invest in a gaming keypad (not keyboard). I have an old school Nostromo N52 with all the buttons could possibly need. With these you can have more ways to control the camera and command all at your finger tips. Like any other sport/activity having the right equipment does really make the difference and can take frustration away.

Edited by Vinnart

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:45 AM, Warts 'n' all said:

Never been a problem for me, and I'm a 400 year old technophobe.

I'm with Warts 'all' Over', and no problem with the controls...Even feels a little more intuitive then CMx1.