Interested... But...

One item that may not mean a lot to many folks, but I really appreciate is in CMSF you have MOUT Formation options for mech and Stryker infantry.  Those units then function as three 3 man teams versus the standard 5 man and 4 man teams. Learned that from Chris - it was how he deployed his airborne in TF panther. A bit more flexibility and you can deploy them with Humvees instead of Brads and Strykers (the standard Humvee and the 240B can both carry 3 dismounts).  From that you can create a whole different experience in scenarios.

6 hours ago, kinophile said:

We're not moving forward in terms of engine, unit representation (eg AI, group command/control) or modability. 

Yes we are, by about 8 years. EVERY single thing going into SF since BN 1.0 is brand new to SF. And SF will also benefit from future growth like every title has since CMBN debuted.

3 hours ago, Pelican Pal said:

unless they do a similar rebuild of CM:BN or something.

They wouldn't need to though, BN has grown along with the series and didn't stagnate, like CMA and SF (up until now) have.

Mord.

17 hours ago, sburke said:

The setting is still the fictional Syria 2008 and there will not be any modern additions that do not fit that timeline.  Within that it plays totally different than WW2.  Fighting is much more lethal.  AT capabilities are much better.  The difference between CMSF and CMBS has more to do with the intervening 10 years of technology (mostly electronics) updates.  The advantage over CMBS is that low grade forces still have a good chance and the uber spotting capabilities in CMBS are not there yet. ATGMs and even just RPGs are much more survivable.  M1s are not the super tank of CMBS. 

Many thanks, this clarifies the differences nicely, I appreciate that. 

16 hours ago, sburke said:

One item that may not mean a lot to many folks, but I really appreciate is in CMSF you have MOUT Formation options for mech and Stryker infantry.  Those units then function as three 3 man teams versus the standard 5 man and 4 man teams. Learned that from Chris - it was how he deployed his airborne in TF panther. A bit more flexibility and you can deploy them with Humvees instead of Brads and Strykers (the standard Humvee and the 240B can both carry 3 dismounts).  From that you can create a whole different experience in scenarios.

Now THAT is a killer point, for me. I'm a  MOUT/FISH aficionado ref modern combat, so having that kind of flexibility in-game is very very attractive. 

10 hours ago, kinophile said:

Now THAT is a killer point, for me. I'm a  MOUT/FISH aficionado ref modern combat, so having that kind of flexibility in-game is very very attractive. 

From my perspective...just FIXING the very suboptimal QB system is good enough...I have long wanted more control over selecting units...especially RED UNCON...I also love MOUT/FISH type actions...and I love QBs

FISH....The British armed forces terms are OBUA (operations in built-up areas), FIBUA (fighting in built-up areas), or sometimes (colloquially) FISH (fighting in someone's house),or FISH and CHIPS (fighting in someone's house and causing havoc in people's streets).  😎

That's awesome...time for some FISH and CHIPS....😏

52 minutes ago, grunt_GI said:

From my perspective...just FIXING the very suboptimal QB system is good enough...I have long wanted more control over selecting units...especially RED UNCON...I also love MOUT/FISH type actions...and I love QBs

FISH....The British armed forces terms are OBUA (operations in built-up areas), FIBUA (fighting in built-up areas), or sometimes (colloquially) FISH (fighting in someone's house),or FISH and CHIPS (fighting in someone's house and causing havoc in people's streets).  😎

That's awesome...time for some FISH and CHIPS....😏

God I love that, it needs to be the name of a scenario

CMSF including all it's content is still the CMx2 game I played the most and has a reserved a special spot in my game slots, as it was the game that got me into combat mission. Sublime mentioned Paper Tiger's Red on Red campaign (rightly so imo), there is a lot of Red on Red possibilities in CMSF. Simulating the Syrian conflict is very well possible. Plus there are Marines, Brits, Germans, Canadians and last but not least the Dutch 😉 for BLUE. Getting all that content in 4.0 engine is worth it alone for me. 

Edit to add: Syrian SF with their RPG-29s and AT-14, coupled with T-90s and BMP-3s are quite decent even H2H when up against BLUE. Coupled with appropriate mission parameters (and objectives for Blue & RED) defensive terrain, suitable strategy and tactics Red can really take the fight to BLUE.
One of my best, most intense and fun h2h fights was with the Syrian SF against Gleb O. as US (I forgot his forum name, something with 88's in it), a worthy and classy opponent. Not sure if we finished the game to the end but it was sure fun as hell using mech heavy Syrian SF and T-90s in guerilla tactics against the US. Hiding portable AT-13s in highrise buildings facing my side, waiting until they got flank/rear shots on enemy armor and then rushing in a platoon of T-90s gives some nice fireworks. Expecting and accepting to lose all assets gives birth to a whole new crate of tactics when compared to BLUE or even CMBS Red forces. I like it.
Anyway it's an upgrade of CMSF, not a brand new game or game engine AFAIK, so I wouldn't expect new features etc.

Edited by Lethaface