Are AT guns too fragile?

DMS

4 hours ago, ASL Veteran said:

You can't get to America from Europe without a boat in 1941 so declaring war upon the US when you don't have a navy and you live in Europe is bound to fail.  That's especially true if you can't even muster the naval capacity to take out that pesky island nation just across the English Channel.

Absolutely. Plus, by Germany's standards the US had an enormous navy and some experience in amphibious operations. So even if the UK had gone down, the US was going to show up on Europe's shores sooner or later. Hitler's hope was that Japan was going to keep the US Navy busy, but that was just hand waving and failed entirely to take into account America's ability to wage a two-ocean war.

Michael

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2018 at 12:42 PM, Erwin said:

Must have been effective at the start of the war when armor wasn't that thick.  But in game terms, they tend to be ineffective as one generally only gets one or two in a scenario.  In RL they would be deployed in large numbers.  Imagine your early war tank being hit by half a dozen at the same time.

And very hard to spot in cover.  Very hard...

You can't get to America from Europe without a boat in 1941

Philip Roth wrote a 'counterfactual history' novel some years ago where Charles Lindberg ran against FDR in 1938 instead of Alf Landon, won the presidency, then immediately signed a non-aggression pact with Germany and Japan. So Germany wouldn't really have needed to 'invade' the US to win the war against us. What did Clausewitz say? War is politics by 'other means'.

40 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Philip Roth wrote a 'counterfactual history' novel some years ago where Charles Lindberg ran against FDR in 1938 instead of Alf Landon, won the presidency, then immediately signed a non-aggression pact with Germany and Japan. So Germany wouldn't really have needed to 'invade' the US to win the war against us. What did Clausewitz say? War is politics by 'other means'.

Was the book any good? I have thought of reading it as the premise of the story is intriguing and I haven't read any of Roth's work.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Philip Roth wrote a 'counterfactual history' novel some years ago where Charles Lindberg ran against FDR in 1938 instead of Alf Landon, won the presidency, then immediately signed a non-aggression pact with Germany and Japan. 

The USatians would never have voted for Lindbergh just because he was famous. That would be like voting for a loud-mouthed perma-tanned TV celebrity, what are the odds of them doing that?

In my day orange skin was regarded as the mark of the devil. The Chump would have been up before the Witchfinder General before you could say "Pass the sick bag, Alice. he's on the telly again". And soon the gutters of Tyburn would have been running with orange wax. 

In case anyone thinks that I am advocating regime change by execution. Don't worry, I've been dead for 400 years.

As for AT guns. They are too easy to spot when the enemy shoot up yours, and not easy enough to spot when you can't target the enemy's.