5x5Km Radzy Full 2 Minicampaign

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, Artkin said:

Idk how at this point. Surely not all the maps are Petes. I think everyone understands they arent mine since theyre converted. 

But sounds great @HerrTom. I know at least one guy thatd want to play this. I was hoping for a TvT anyway. 

The Radzy maps are definitely Pete's.  The one you pictured about is one of his creations for CMRT.  Note his comments even before this map was converted.  http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-red-thunder/cm-red-thunder-add-ons/razymin-master-map-care/

Radzymin Master Map

This map was the basis for missions 1-5 of the German campaign released with CM: Red Thunder.

This map was so large and memory intensive that the maximum map size was scaled back. (It is worth noting I was not able to open this map when complete in the 3d preview, as it caused a CTD.

However the map can be loaded into the editor and reduced in size until it accords with the game maximum size requirement.

These are as follows

1. Max total surface area = 18.045km2 (approx. 4248m x 4248m)
  2. No one side longer than approx’ 8000m (8k)
  3. No ratio between length and width in excess of 10:1

In the zip file I have also included the extract of the topo’ map used as the editor overlay, together with a composite screen shot of the map in the editor (the screen shot is of the not quite completed map, but the map itself is complete).Pete Wenman

Edited by sburke

I gave Tom a pack of maps, not just one. I think that's where the confusion lies. I said surely not all the maps are Pete's.

With that said I read his message when I downloaded the map. The map still works anyway. I just cant make it larger..only smaller.. I believe.

24 minutes ago, Artkin said:

I gave Tom a pack of maps, not just one. I think that's where the confusion lies. I said surely not all the maps are Pete's.

With that said I read his message when I downloaded the map. The map still works anyway. I just cant make it larger..only smaller.. I believe.

correct and yes it looks like you have a ton of maps.  It is usually not hard to find the original author and it is considered good behavior to credit when releasing material that uses others works.  The master map is at the limit of what Pete could do as he noted.  You can change the map anyway you want (smaller in some directions, larger in others as long as it is in spec as he noted), mileage will vary as you are working at the extreme threshold of what CM will support and that is without units.

2 hours ago, sburke said:

However the map can be loaded into the editor and reduced in size until it accords with the game maximum size requirement.

These are as follows

1. Max total surface area = 18.045km2 (approx. 4248m x 4248m)
  2. No one side longer than approx’ 8000m (8k)
  3. No ratio between length and width in excess of 10:1

Yeah I don't disagree but it looks like you beat me to it... what do you want me to do @sburke? You want me to credit him after you mentioned it? I couldn't edit my message (Or anything else) and also why should I credit him after you already pointed it out? I don't need to be taught a lesson. Next time I will credit them. Chill out I don't need to be pounced on once I say I hope it's okay I post this. That's the last I'll discuss such a ridiculous matter.. smh

That's gotta be why. I have 2011 hardware and I can get away with it once. I can definitely scale things down if people want to play (And can't) but I wanted to give the player absolute freedom of maneuver before not. Even at 5x5km the map feels like a knife fight at times with the massive lines of sight. I try to limit the visibility with weather so it really won't kill everything to scale down. 

9 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Yeah I don't disagree but it looks like you beat me to it... what do you want me to do @sburke? You want me to credit him after you mentioned it? I couldn't edit my message (Or anything else) and also why should I credit him after you already pointed it out? I don't need to be taught a lesson. Next time I will credit them. Chill out I don't need to be pounced on once I say I hope it's okay I post this. That's the last I'll discuss such a ridiculous matter.. smh

chill out dude, I'm talking about when you release it putting it in your designers notes.  Sheesh.  I mentioned it twice hardly beating a dead horse, just confirming it.

5 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Sorry. Can't tell when someone's pouncing or not. But the scenario was never really intended to be posted. I can never match the quality of people on here. This is just a little couple of skirmishes to arouse interest in these types of maps. 

Sorry I was under the impression you were building something to release because well you did say you were planning to post.  :D  I just recognized Pete's work and figured to let ya know.  Making large maps is a pita especially if you don't really get into map making.  Pete would be thrilled I am sure to see it get use and it is the whole reason for having the master maps section lately anyway.  Hell I did 3 for CMFB and am kind of bummed they don't see any use... at least none I know of.  Also one for CMBS which hasn't done much better sadly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 9:09 PM, sburke said:

Sorry I was under the impression you were building something to release because well you did say you were planning to post.  :D  I just recognized Pete's work and figured to let ya know.  Making large maps is a pita especially if you don't really get into map making.  Pete would be thrilled I am sure to see it get use and it is the whole reason for having the master maps section lately anyway.  Hell I did 3 for CMFB and am kind of bummed they don't see any use... at least none I know of.  Also one for CMBS which hasn't done much better sadly.

Which did you do for CMBS? 

On 8/17/2018 at 4:09 AM, sburke said:

ooo the master maps in CMFB are sooooo goood. Was the Noville one of yours?  In any case they are all really fantastic. I have been thinking about finding an opponent to play some "for fun" mini campaign series of QBs in them. The Noville map for example can easily support series of 6+ medium sized quick battles I think. All in all yeah.. making big maps is a real pain in the back, especially if you are bit of OCD perfectionist like me. 

2 hours ago, H1nd said:

ooo the master maps in CMFB are sooooo goood. Was the Noville one of yours?  In any case they are all really fantastic. I have been thinking about finding an opponent to play some "for fun" mini campaign series of QBs in them. The Noville map for example can easily support series of 6+ medium sized quick battles I think. All in all yeah.. making big maps is a real pain in the back, especially if you are bit of OCD perfectionist like me. 

Nope, that's another @benpark special.  ;) 

Yeah I've converted all of these maps already. 

And I can confirm CMBS doesnt ship with your map Sburke. I would like to add I very much did like your map - however I tend to stray away from the ones that look good. We need a jungle CM where all the maps look like cluster fcks 

6 hours ago, sburke said:

Hmm maybe I didn't finish for release.  It is up on scenario depot.   

Well, I have it now.  Nice map.  Even a Power Plant, horse farm and WWII Battlefield Memorial, etc...............  +1  

Left a comment about it at The Scenario Depot.  Maybe we can get some scenarios made with this map. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

On 9/1/2018 at 2:39 PM, H1nd said:

Thanks. You may want to look into the RT module when it comes out if you like mapsmapsmaps.

Nothing wrong with those OCD tendencies, if you know how to channel them!