My Honor Was Loyalty (movie)

Found this on Netflix:  "The story of Captain Ludwig Herckel, soldier of the SS Leibstandarte, he fights in every major conflict from the Eastern front to the battle of the bulge."

Altho' looks like a low budget (Italian?) movie, it features quite a lot of soldiers in various camo styles and a surprising number of AFV's and other vehicles.   Not bad at all, and worth a look.  The battle sequences are shot handheld documentary style and are quite effective.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Found this on Netflix:  "The story of Captain Ludwig Herckel, soldier of the SS Leibstandarte, he fights in every major conflict from the Eastern front to the battle of the bulge."

Altho' looks like a low budget (Italian?) movie, it features quite a lot of soldiers in various camo styles and a surprising number of AFV's and other vehicles.   Not bad at all, and worth a look.  The battle sequences are shot handheld documentary style and are quite effective.

Sorry, @Erwin.  I can't recommend this.  As you said, the costuming and vehicles are impressive and the cinematography is acceptable.  But the screenwriting is dire.  The acting is wooden.  The film strikes me as puffed up philosophic self-absorption by director Allesandro Pepe.  I watched the first 18 minutes and had to turn it off.  Maybe I'll come back to it when too drunk or too bored to care.

12 hours ago, Badger73 said:

But the screenwriting is dire.  The acting is wooden. 

I totally agree with that.  That's why I didn't mention that aspect.  What I was trying to point out is that (from what I understand) they seem to have put all their effort into making uniforms & weapons etc historically accurate - something that we always complain about on these forums.  So, this appears like a relatively realistic war film, even tho' dramatically it is sucky.  (And let's face it, how many movies are out there that feature SS troops as heroes?)

Many will find it interesting to see how colorful and beautiful the countryside is.  It's definitely not washed out "WW2 color" as many of us (including me) tend to associate with WW2 films.

However, the camo uniforms are wonderfully faded. washed out and worn.  Definitely not colorful they way some modders make em.   It's enjoyable to identify the various camo patterns that appear in the film. 

Not sure if they had enuff historicity to accurately depict different patterns in different theaters or eras of the war.  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in on that aspect.

Edited by Erwin