CMSF2 - UK-Germany Beta AAR

21 hours ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

They only have one weapon system.

Yes you are right. What the same in CMSF and just noticing this now ... My bad ☹️

2 hours ago, Baneman said:

But then he scores a devastating hit with an RPG round...

Ouch ... Great AAR. All your pictures are without any mods, correct?

Just now, c3k said:

Those picture windows suck. They're worse than anything other than balconies, or so it seems to me. Normal windows offer far more protection. If I see a building with them oriented towards the enemy, I try not to enter that building.

Thought I'd mention that tidbit, now that you've learned the lesson writ in the blood of your men. And, yes, they thanked you for letting them teach you that. ;)

That explains a lot. Mainly why he seems to be in bunkers and I'm in a clapboard shack ! :unsure:

3 hours ago, Baneman said:

Right Flank :

The uncon fight is furious, but sadly, Bil has fire superiority against my guys in the 2 houses.
At first we hold our own, causing 2 casualties to 1 of our own.

CMSF2 0077 A fight3.jpg

CMSF2 0078 A fight4.jpg

And that takes the wind out of their sails...

CMSF2 0079 A fight5.jpg

I order the remaining men to Withdraw (crawling)

CMSF2 0085 uncons A orders.jpg

And try to move the rest of the force to get LoS to just the ditch and the one building to reduce Bil's force's fire superiority

CMSF2 0086 uncons A orders2.jpg

I've already stated my observation in Bil's AAR thread so I won't belabor the point, but your perspective of the firefight further confirms what I think I'm seeing. The infamous infantry bug introduced in v4 appears to be fixed as Steve said. It is great to see the fixed behavior working in this beta build of CMSF2. Having a readily viewable example of the fix in action is a very good thing. Not that I ever doubted Steve of course 😁

It is very interesting to see both perspectives of the battle playing out at the same time. Very much looking forward to how both of you react to each other as the battle develops and you get more toys to play with!

5 hours ago, Baneman said:

That is correct.
I normally play with a ton of mods, but this is, after all, intended to showcase the game-you-will-receive. :) 

Yeah, that would throw me off a lot. I have to have my mods or it just doesn't "feel" right especially as many of mine are practical enhancement to the game.

Good luck Baneman. I was wondering who was going to step up when I saw Bil's challenge post in Beta tester world. Glad you did as it has always been a good fight to watch between you two. Excellent presentation! Thanks for the time it takes to prepare it all.

Glad we finally got one of these official DAR's going to follow along with. It's been awhile.

8 hours ago, Baneman said:

CMSF2 0078 A fight4.jpg

And that takes the wind out of their sails...

Personally RPGs are my worst nightmare.  Even the uncons are well loaded with them and they are deadly.  You look like you are getting fire superiority, your men are pouring it on and then one lone guy smacks one into your building and the best you can hope for is light casualties and being suppressed for a while.  The US units don't really have anything as effective.  The Marine SMAW is close but not as prolific or quite the punch.

3 hours ago, sburke said:

Personally RPGs are my worst nightmare.  Even the uncons are well loaded with them and they are deadly.  You look like you are getting fire superiority, your men are pouring it on and then one lone guy smacks one into your building and the best you can hope for is light casualties and being suppressed for a while.  The US units don't really have anything as effective.  The Marine SMAW is close but not as prolific or quite the punch.

Couldn't agree more. RPGs are the force multiplier.

I'm currently reading 'Ripcord - Screaming Eagles under siege, Vietnam 1970' and in most (if not all) US infantry encounters with regular NVA units, RPGs appear responsible for most of the casualties. Volley fire was also regularly used. Try to imagine the effect of 10 or more  RPGs all fired off 'en-masse' at a static hilltop US position. Talk about pocket artillery - how about a portable GRAD jungle strike? 😁

3 hours ago, Fat Dave said:

Couldn't agree more. RPGs are the force multiplier.

I'm currently reading 'Ripcord - Screaming Eagles under siege, Vietnam 1970' and in most (if not all) US infantry encounters with regular NVA units, RPGs appear responsible for most of the casualties. Volley fire was also regularly used. Try to imagine the effect of 10 or more  RPGs all fired off 'en-masse' at a static hilltop US position. Talk about pocket artillery - how about a portable GRAD jungle strike? 😁

Can you point out a page or a quote in the book that says that most infantry casualties were caused by RPG´s?

While SF´s RPG-7, especially its anti-personnel fragmentation rounds used by Syrian and insurgent troops is a deadly factor.

Many Coalition players even multiply this by not being aware that "dedicated" AT weapons like the AT4 or SMAW are only used against infantry when using a "TARGET" command while Syrian or Insurgent troops launch their additional fragmentation RPG rounds automatically. That is at least my observation in the newest version of SF, if I remember correctly this was not the case in older versions which was really annoying often and I think Battlefront´s current solution here is perfect, especially if you want to safe your AT ammunitions for real tank threats.

However a AT4 or SMAW can also cause a lot of trouble, especially against enemy infantry in enclosed space like shown in the screenshot, so keep the option in mind to use them with the target command.     

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

Turn 5:

Praise be to shoddy Russian hardware ! It misses

CMSF2 029 survive.jpg

We pour it on to the hillside, but apparently it's bigger than a barn door and we don't hit anything. The AT team calmly jog away. :angry:

CMSF2 030 return fire.jpg

Then, about 10 seconds from the end of the turn, the above Fennek spots an enemy vehicle to the right of Worry Ridge and switches target, lobbing a burst of grenades at it.

CMSF2 001 fennek.jpg

The first burst goes long, the second (shown in flight) actually bracket the target, but short of a direct hit, they have no effect. At the end of the turn, it fires back...

CMSF2 003 hits.jpg

But it's firing at my Scimitar ( which, in an epic fail for a Recon vehicle, fails to spot the enemy firing at it )

CMSF2 012 shooter.jpg

The first rounds hit home and the main gun is immediately disabled

CMSF2 002 hit.jpg

Edited by Baneman

A view of "What the Uncons saw" - this is how I have all the spots on Bil's vehicles behind the hill - this is what Uncons A can see. I have in fact left this RPG teams to watch that direction constantly.

CMSF2 020 uncon a view.jpg

Another shot ( looking the other way ) to show the scale - the range from the Infantry Recce team to the Uncon A area is 1500m+ and the Fennek HQ is chucking grenades at about 1900m.
Those unhappy with the size of maps need have no fears

CMSF2 025 scale.jpg

Bil's uncons near the mosque appear to be changing direction and moving towards the Uncon A fight. I move up one of the bakkies to try to get between them

CMSF2 021 bakkie moveup.jpg

The Sacrificial Lambs head further - the road is raised, so they are trying to stay low by running inside the olive grove

CMSF2 005 lambs.jpg

Edited by Baneman

Turn 6:

The followup burst from Bil's "Wheeled Thingy" (E1) goes high, so there's hope as the Scimitar pops smoke and begins to reverse away. The problem is that something new pops up in view (E2).

CMSF2 001 Scimitar pullback.jpg

The Fennek continues to lob grenades at the Wheeled Thingy

CMSF2 002 Fennek fire.jpg

Unfortunately E2 resolves into a TOW-toting badguy ... who almost immediately fires...

CMSF2 003 TOW toter.jpg

Oh dear ... incoming ! ( that black smoke is from a BMP behind the hill which popped the smoke when I was firing on the infantry AT team )

CMSF2 004 incoming.jpg

It doesn't end well. :( 

CMSF2 005 Fennek gone.jpg

The Scimitar, which I'd given up for dead, actually makes it away :blink: The dig site and the destroyed Fennek ( no survivors ) are obscured by the smoke the Scimitar deployed.

CMSF2 008 Scimitar safe.jpg

Edited by Baneman

The increasingly mis-named Sacrificial Lambs roar off towards their next objective. This camera level 1 shot shows how the ground is only slightly lower than the surrounds, but it makes a big difference.

CMSF2 038 Lambs.jpg

They reach and duck into the irrigation ditch to hide. Their next objective is visible on the right.

CMSF2 039 Lambs.jpg

Their orders for the next round(s) - dismount and head for the touch objective Ruby.

CMSF2 040 lambs orders.jpg

Edited by Baneman

By the end of the turn, we can see several Wheeled Thingy's on the hill. He has a nasty little gully that he can use to interdict anything in the Dig Site area but which has a lump of earth protecting these vehicles from view from other directions. :angry:

CMSF2 020 hordes.jpg

The Uncons by the mosque are definitely moving fast towards my "A" group

CMSF2 010 uncons + C.jpg

Bakkie opens fire, but misses everyone.

CMSF2 011 Uncons target.jpg

Edited by Baneman

I dismounted most of the German infantry from their Marders in case they could be seen early. Man, those Panzerfaust 3's are large !

CMSF2 050 move up.jpg

But it is an impressive sight as the reinforcements move up

CMSF2 012 Move up.jpg

Further orders - since Bil is covering the Dig Site, he doesn't have anything looking down in the other direction due to his protective mound. So I think moving another Scimitar forward would be good

CMSF2 045 Move up.jpg

At least one Marder joins the Watcher in the Woods - that's a good position even if the range is a bit too great for useful area fire against Bil's uncons.

CMSF2 046 overview.jpg

Final overview of the bulk of my position - Both Leopards have moved onto the highest tiny mound available.

CMSF2 051 overview.jpg

Edited by Baneman

19 minutes ago, Baneman said:

I see a lot of voting :) but not much commentary ? No questions ? ( the black squares are "?" icons that weren't in the game yet ).

Yes one question: Does the vehicles receive laser warning when targeted like in Black Sea ?

Thanks

Edited by ncc1701e