Disappointed

On 6/21/2018 at 4:25 PM, General Jack Ripper said:

I've had shadows toggled off since my very first day since CMx2 games were even a thing.
They aren't necessary, and you get at least 5 FPS for switching them off.

See, this is the sort of thing that holds back meaningful development - people that are happy with early 2000s-era graphics detail. Saying shadows aren't necessary in this day and age of computer gaming and graphics power is absolutely bizarre and crazy.

On 7/6/2018 at 6:30 PM, Thewood1 said:

I suspect you'll have to wait at least a couple days...

"Our store is offline while we transition existing customer information and past orders to our brand new website. We are unsure how long the transition will last. Our estimate is July 8, but much of the timing is out of our hands. Please be patient."

From the BFC store.

Will access to installer downloads across all games be down as well during this period?

11 hours ago, LukeFF said:

See, this is the sort of thing that holds back meaningful development - people that are happy with early 2000s-era graphics detail. Saying shadows aren't necessary in this day and age of computer gaming and graphics power is absolutely bizarre and crazy.

While great graphics are wonderful, I think most of the current customers would be perfectly happy to play CM2 with or without shadows.  The primary audience to date have been those of us interested in small/tactical military issues, and there is no competitor for CM2 AFAIK.   If one wants to start competing with Battlefield, Call of Duty and other big boys, then graphics becomes a primary selling point.  But, that is a different genre and appeals to a different audience.

1 hour ago, Rinaldi said:

The game could look much better, it's true. Fidelity is the number one obstacle for people I try to shill  pitch this game to. 

I used to think the same but nowadays my opinion is that they would just hit the next tree instead and the one after that and the one after that... Graphics -> UI -> Controls -> Gameplay -> Multiplayer -> Performance -> the list goes on...

No, it doesn't 'just go on'.  All this whining over not getting the impossible fantasy game people dream up in their heads gets tiresome. I've been reading posts like that since 2000. My family Subaru can't be used as a dump truck and schoolbus and snow plow. And the car should have been half the price too, or maybe free. Why is the car design so BROKEN?

26 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

No, it doesn't 'just go on'.  All this whining over not getting the impossible fantasy game people dream up in their heads gets tiresome. I've been reading posts like that since 2000. My family Subaru can't be used as a dump truck and schoolbus and snow plow. And the car should have been half the price too, or maybe free. Why is the car design so BROKEN?

I think some folks also forget a bit too readily just what these games were like when they first came out. CMBN is not by any extent of the imagination the same creature now that it was in 1.0. 

@MikeyD - I hope you complained to the manufacturer about that horrible car. Surely if you spent that much money upgrades are free, right? ;)

Edited by Bud Backer

Personally I try to see most games as glass half full nowadays. New patches, modules, addons is just a bonus. Best is to try and not dissect everything before consumption, play it with an open mind and perhaps be pleasantly surprised. I remember when I played Ultima Online for the first time, that newbie feeling is hard to get back, some of the magic is lost when you know everything. Like discovering what purple potions do... 3.2.1....boom! OOoOO oOoo :)

There is so much that is awesome with CM2 :)

Graviteam games are pretty good but for a few issues , and I play them for a "bigger picture" than CM presents (but I play CM vastly more than the Graviteam games).

But they are totally different concepts. Graviteam has stated on numerous occasions that it is not a game where they want you to order individual squads and tanks- but by platoon- they punish sub-orders with the "blue bar" . I enjoy the simulation of the chaos of command as much as the next guy, but the subordinate AI had better at least know how to drive a tank before we head off to battle.

So it is a higher level command simulator that wants basic orders, and the AI should be handling the rest. CM does not restrict that. I like that.

The atmospherics are nice, but I find CM is a more accurate WYSIWYG game as far as terrain is concerned, and looks great to me when kitted up. You have to turn on a eye-busting orange and green grid to tell me where cover is i Graviteam's games. The UI is...weird, and getting weirder. If it weren't for the abjectly problematic pathfinding, that would be all well and good- but you can't trust the AI to get the job done. 50% of my games end up with a tank (or many) flipped in a trench, river over a fence. And they keep making battles that take place in difficult terrain, further highlighting the issues.

But I myself do enjoy those fine, fine Graviteam games from time to time- despite their issues.

Edited by benpark

They are indeed different concepts and one (especially on these forums) can write many essays on their differences, does not make them any less of competitors - they literally target the same market segment, which is what Erwin is talking about.

52 minutes ago, Kozlice said:

Graviteam begs to differ

I am not sure they would agree with you. While similar to some degree, there are enough differences to appeal to a slightly different core audience. I for example have not and likely will never buy their games.  Not that they are bad, they just don’t appeal to me. I expect there are some graviteam fans that feel the same way about CM. There is for sure overlap, but that holds true for quite a few other games as well.

6 hours ago, Kozlice said:

There are people who prefer Snickers (a whole forum of them here) and there are people who prefer Mars - they are still competing each other for respective market shares...

Mars is the parent company that makes Snickers. They also are the makers of Milky Way, Three Musketeers and maybe one or two others the last I checked. It has been years since I ate any of them, but Snickers was a great favorite of mine for a long time.

Michael

13 hours ago, benpark said:

That's the stuff. File under: idiotic things that one just thought of but was ambitious enough to actually carry through with.These are the heroes. Fry those bars, people! In ways that should never have been done!

In Texas, anything can be fried.  Anything...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31488/25-deep-fried-foods-texas-state-fair