Editor Trick/hack.

Hey. discoverd this ages ago but couldn't get the photos up on old site. Right what you do is make a map say elevation starts at 20 goes to 35, save it the load up again and extend the length, the editor now treats this as a separate map so you can place water as normal. The only thing I noticed was you can't have water on the lower map as this will give the expected canyon results. Hope this is clear Ben...There maybe more to it , this is what I know of it so far. 

Cheers

That's amazing. I just got it to work with the water running horizontal across a vertical map, and even changed the height values after doing the hack, and it still worked as far as keeping the water table flush with the ground at the elevation I wanted.

Getting the water to do up/downhill as in the first set of screens) is stumping me, though.

Edited by benpark

3 hours ago, sonar said:

Hey. discoverd this ages ago but couldn't get the photos up on old site. Right what you do is make a map say elevation starts at 20 goes to 35, save it the load up again and extend the length, the editor now treats this as a separate map so you can place water as normal. The only thing I noticed was you can't have water on the lower map as this will give the expected canyon results. Hope this is clear Ben...There maybe more to it , this is what I know of it so far. 

Cheers

Niiiiiice. I'd describe this as "swimmingly well done", but someone would berate me for being wet behind the ears and paddle me for my insouciance. So as to not make waves, I'll stop writing any more and keep my powder dry for a future rant.

;)

Sorry to be a web blanket (keeping the puns started by @c3k going) but I'm lost. All the responses seem to imply that @sonar has found away to have water at two elevations on the same map? I must be blind or something cause I do not see that in his pictures. Can someone help me out and post a clear example or use arrows or something on the existing pictures showing the multi level water?

The way it works (or so I thought) is that water tiles all go to the same level - the lowest level that contains a water tile on the map. Which means you can create a hilly environment and place a lake at 65m no problem as long as the only water tiles are at that 65m elevation.

2 hours ago, IanL said:

The way it works (or so I thought) is that water tiles all go to the same level - the lowest level that contains a water tile on the map. Which means you can create a hilly environment and place a lake at 65m no problem as long as the only water tiles are at that 65m elevation.

That's the way a remember it also...Water not being limited to zero meters altitude but rather to the same level as the first water-tile...

Edited by RepsolCBR

I just gave it a try.  I am with Ian and RepsolCBR.  I can make the water at whatever height I desire but only at that height.  For some reason I thought water was always at the lowest height of any terrain, but that is an incorrect perception.  I did not have to go through the create a map and save it process.  I just created a map that went from 20 to 50 and then set the water at 50 on the top of the hill.  Also then created an elevated pond on a separate map.  Whether that has always been true I can't say.

4 minutes ago, c3k said:

@sonar,

Not to rain on your parade, but the tide seems to be turning against you. It’s good to have an ebb and flow of new ideas, but it looks like water can only exist at one height...

Don’t be a wet blanket, shower him with praise for attempting to divide the waters and get us to the far shore. 

2 hours ago, sburke said:

For some reason I thought water was always at the lowest height of any terrain, but that is an incorrect perception. 

Oops, Sorry about that lads I was under the same impression, well at least it's cleared up that misconception.

Cheers.