CMSF 2 – US-SYRIA BETA AAR

29 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Are your T-90 crews green or do they have negative training levels, Bil.....Their apparently ludicrous inaccuracy is already giving me major cause for concern.

Two are regular and one is veteran.  The way we did training levels for this game was to have George select "Typical" from the training level drop down list in the editor.. that way neither of us would be tempted to fill his formations with crack crews.

40 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Are your T-90 crews green or do they have negative training levels, Bil.....Their apparently ludicrous inaccuracy is already giving me major cause for concern.

It is  just dice rolls and not even that many yet.

2 hours ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

Thanks for that.  I will be careful around them and try to keep them outside their effective range (around 900 meters) though I think this AT Team is already within that range to some of my vehicles.

900m for an unguided weapon? Maybe half effective area fire from that range but to hit a vehicle... I doubt it.

55 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Fairly sure a M1A1HA is inferior to a 2008 spec Challenger II.

A T-90SA should be quite a handful for a Leopard 2A4, a tank that has been demonstrated to have serious vulnerabilities following its actual deployment in Syria (T-90s routinely shrug off hits from weapons that kill Leopard IIs).

I'm also surprised by how much the T-90 has been under performing in this battle. In my experience the T-90 in CMSF is a very capable tank, and is more than a match for the Leopard 2A4. I suspect Bil's T-90s have just had a bout of bad luck so far. 

12 minutes ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

900m for an unguided weapon? Maybe half effective area fire from that range but to hit a vehicle... I doubt it.

The panzerfaust 3 is not an unguided weapon. It is laser guided, and is the most accurate hand-held AT weapon aside from the Javelin. Not sure on the 900m range though. I suspect it is more like 400-500m in practical reality. 

49 minutes ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

I believe Bil was stating that the other teams are at 900m, and the one we saw earlier is sneaking up closer. 

Edited by Artkin

45 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

The panzerfaust 3 is not an unguided weapon. It is laser guided, and is the most accurate hand-held AT weapon aside from the Javelin. Not sure on the 900m range though. I suspect it is more like 400-500m in practical reality. 

It is unguided or well, depends on how unconventional your classification of "guided" is. Panzerfaust 3 has laser range finder and a ballistic computer. These assist in aiming but do not make it any more guided than lets say 120mm APFSDS-T fired from a Leo2A4 with the help of its fire control systems.

I misunderstood the context in which Bil was using the "900m" range. But I doubt that the hit percentages at ranges of +300m against vehicle sized targets are anything to write home about...

MINUTE 14

M1 #2 moved into the hollow next to the little hill in BP1 in order to overwatch the Gate to Valhalla with the hopes that the Leopard that was moving in that direction would come under its guns.  What it spotted instead was a Marder moving next to the farm ahead of the tank.  The Marder spotted the Abrams first and opened fire with its cannon taking out the turret mounted MG, but it was not a fair fight…

001.gif 

The M1 then immediately spotted the Leopard, which does not look like it sees the Abrams… the turn ended before my tank could reload.  I hate when that happens.  (see item 1 below)  

002.png

Some artillery spotting rounds are falling next to Hill 42.0 so I have moved my M3 platoon back a bit and loaded any infantry nearby. 

004.png

As time expired one of the Warriors moving through the field came into view near the Water Tower, it started to fire cannon rounds at T-90 #2 which was elevating its gun and taking aim as time expired!  (see item 2 below) 

006.png

The Warrior rear door opened as the clock ran out... hopefully, if the T-90 can actually make the kill, it will also take out most of the infantry in the back.

005.png

The Warrior platoon that was last spotted moving past HILL 32.9 has dropped off my radar completely… I have no contacts at all for this formation. (see item 3 below) 

003.png

Looks like it could be a very interesting next turn, coming up are the following highlights:

1. The M1A1SA #2 versus Leopard 2A4 faceoff.      
  2. The T-90 #2 versus Warrior IFV faceoff
  3. Plus, I am moving the BMP-3s 1st Platoon forward in the hopes of spotting that Warrior platoon that disappeared past Point 32.9
  4. A couple Javelin teams will arrive in their firing positions looking to kill something
  5. Oh, and after next turn, the final reinforcements arrive!

Don’t go anywhere!

1st Platoon BMP-3s getting ready to move to hulldown positions: (see item 3 above) 

007.png

BP1: (see item 1 and 4 above) 

008.png

Blood+Board+14.png

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

5 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

I'm also surprised by how much the T-90 has been under performing in this battle. In my experience the T-90 in CMSF is a very capable tank, and is more than a match for the Leopard 2A4. I suspect Bil's T-90s have just had a bout of bad luck so far. 

4 hours ago, Artkin said:

I believe Bil was stating that the other teams are at 900m, and the one we saw earlier is sneaking up closer. 

4 hours ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

It is unguided or well, depends on how unconventional your classification of "guided" is. Panzerfaust 3 has laser range finder and a ballistic computer. These assist in aiming but do not make it any more guided than lets say 120mm APFSDS-T fired from a Leo2A4 with the help of its fire control systems.

I misunderstood the context in which Bil was using the "900m" range. But I doubt that the hit percentages at ranges of +300m against vehicle sized targets are anything to write home about...

I got that range from Wikipedia but I'm sure that isn't right.. the PF3 Team is about 400 meters from BP1... I'll find out soon I think how effective they are.

19 minutes ago, AtheistDane said:

Oh, perhaps I should have been a bit more specific. I was referring to the Abrams on the previous page. 

Sorry, I don't think I added a facing command at the end of this movement... in fact I'm pretty sure it was on Hunt orders and stopped and faced the enemy threat on its own when it spotted it. 

By the way, rotating the hull front to the enemy is a survival instinct as it places the best protected portion of the tank toward the threat.  They do not always do that by the way.. in the 12th minute post the Abrams spotted and fired on a Warrior IFV, in this case it kept the hull aligned with the covered arc and rotated the turret to fire.

23 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

he panzerfaust 3 is not an unguided weapon. It is laser guided, and is the most accurate hand-held AT weapon aside from the Javelin. Not sure on the 900m range though. I suspect it is more like 400-500m in practical reality. 

The PzFst3 is unguided in that sense that its projectile is not guided on its way to its target, unlike ATGMs. Besides that, the laser equipped PzFst3 is a special variant of the PzFst3 and is VERY rare in german service. I've never actually seen one myself. Are the germans in CMSF2 really equipped with that variant?

The standard PzFst3 (without a laser range finder) is still pretty accurate to ranges of up to 400m. I'm speaking from personal experience here 😉

Edited by QuiGon

MINUTE 15

Okay this was a VERY busy turn… and sorry once again for the amount of media.  I hope it isn’t too hard on your internet connection. 

I ordered my Abrams to immediately start to reverse while it was reloading.  I did not want it to get into a gun duel if it wasn’t ready… when the gunner yelled “SABOT UP!” and while still moving in reverse the tank fired and killed the Leopard... killed him dead and was never spotted in return.  I had also ordered one of the LAVs nearby to pop smoke in front of the M1 to cover it… turns out that wasn’t needed.

001.gif

T90 #2 fired and killed the Warrior near the Water Tower... so hey, yeah, the Syrians are capable of killing stuff. 

002.gif

One British dismounted team is in the field between the now dead Warrior IFV and the T-90s… that means the second Warrior arrived at its unloading point unseen, but now I know about where it is.

007.png

1st Mech Infantry Platoon’s HQ team dismounted and armed with a Javelin, crawled into position hoping to get a spot on the Challenger that my Abrams hit last turn… towards the end of the turn he took aim and let the Javelin loose... it flew true and killed the enemy tank with a top hit.

003.gif

Up near Hill 41.1 another team armed with a Javelin spotted a Scimitar and quickly destroyed it.  By the way, it takes about 20 seconds to reload the launcher and be ready for another shot.  Both of these teams will be reloaded and ready for action early next turn.

004.gif

It didn’t go all my way though… the BMP-3 platoon moved forward, remember I was hoping to spot the Warrior platoon which should be to their front (and probably very close)… well, they moved forward just fine, then quickly lost two of the three BMPs, the first to an unknown shooter... I believe to one of the Warriors I was looking for...

…the second fell to the remaining Leopard tank.

005.gif

Damn… I should have sent a dismounted team over the ridge to find those IFVs.  The BMP-3s never spotted a thing… yikes.  I am worried about those Warriors and I need to find them ASAP.

006.png

Still two enemy tanks, one light tank, and an IFV knocked out for the loss of two BMP-3s... I’ll take that exchange ratio every time.

Blood-Board+15b.png

I also received my final reinforcements.  I will post about them in another installment.

It must be me, but the sheer helplessness I feel for any opponent who has to deal with Javelins is a unpleasant sensation. A Challenger lost to a pair of guys with a tube.. ugh.

You did well, Bil. It’s unfortunate to lose those BMPs, but I guess it’s a good lesson for the reader that it’s dangerous to move without legs on the ground ahead, if possible.  

Edited by Bud Backer

In a scenario I made on Rad full 2, I pitted a Stryker Cavarly bn versus a mechanized bmp2m battalion with t72 platoons. Just about every stryker has a javelin and three missles. And they have no trouble decimating everything. A very powerful force indeed. Check your vehicles for equipment. :lol::lol:

2 hours ago, kinophile said:

God as RUS it's just an Agony of relentless killing. I'm firmly convinced a well stocked Bradley platoon can stop/viciously degrade a RUS armor Co anytime. 

Javelin teams seem absolutely lethal. I guess the only way to stop the US wiping the opposition out in a QB is via the pricing mechanism?