Any replayability built into the Peiper scenarios?

I'm finally rolling with KG Peiper, and in the third mission I have been hit by disaster due to massive bad luck a series of extremely incompetent orders I don't really like to admit being responsible for.

So I'm tempted to start this scenario all over, but it would feel like I'm cheating if I already know where most of the enemies are located. Any variability in enemy troop placement built into the scenarios in this campaign?

(Apart from my own incompetence, I'm very impressed by the campaign so far.. everything seems top notch, from the briefings, the very detailed maps, the forces, the missions, the choices to make, etc.. would be great if there's some replayability here too).

Edited by Bulletpoint

21 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Just take it on the chin, and carry on. It will still be fun.

That's what I generally always do. But with really well made scenarios, I like to play them several times and try various tactics. And then it's really great to have a couple of various AI setups and variability within each setup too. So was wondering if this campaign has it.

I have only played the two US campaign and the setup is the same every time so it is probably the case for the Peiper😢. I also like to try various tactics and its really unfortunate that they didnt include the same replayability as in CMBN

4 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

That's what I generally always do. But with really well made scenarios, I like to play them several times and try various tactics. And then it's really great to have a couple of various AI setups and variability within each setup too. So was wondering if this campaign has it.

I have to admit, that I've tried the campaign twice. And failed both times. One way you could find out if there are different set-ups and plans for the allies, is to break it down into separate stand alone battles using the editing software available on CMMODS.

2 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I have to admit, that I've tried the campaign twice. And failed both times. One way you could find out if there are different set-ups and plans for the allies, is to break it down into separate stand alone battles using the editing software available on CMMODS.

That is probaly the best option....or PM the campaign designer (if he is still around)...

On 6/16/2018 at 1:58 PM, Bulletpoint said:

I'm finally rolling with KG Peiper, and in the third mission I have been hit by disaster due to massive bad luck a series of extremely incompetent orders I don't really like to admit being responsible for.

So I'm tempted to start this scenario all over, but it would feel like I'm cheating if I already know where most of the enemies are located. Any variability in enemy troop placement built into the scenarios in this campaign?

(Apart from my own incompetence, I'm very impressed by the campaign so far.. everything seems top notch, from the briefings, the very detailed maps, the forces, the missions, the choices to make, etc.. would be great if there's some replayability here too).

Even if there are multiple AI Plans for every mission in the campaign - you can't assume that a/ you'll pull a different AI Plan (as the chances of selecting a different AI plan are pretty random i.e. the game does not remember which AI Plan you drew on any one mission) b/ even if there is only one AI Plan for each mission you don't know that or even if you just luckily pulled the same AI plan that you'd played previously

if you don't and you try to play the AI plan and it is, in fact, a different AI Plan, well...

So all in all given the above and assuming you don't go digging - you would have to assume that you are not playing the same AI Plan and attack accordingly. Enjoy :)

I've never been a fan of replaying a mission just to win a campaign. I'd rather record it as a "Defeat" and move on, even if it means losing the campaign. In the meantime George is correct, even if the enemy has multiple set up zones, it doesn't mean that the AI will set up any differently from the first time.

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I'd rather record it as a "Defeat" and move on, even if it means losing the campaign.

Agreed.  Altho' there are sadistic designers who will kick you out if you get a loss too many.  Nothing worse than having to go back several missions just to ensure one has enuff force to continue later on.  (Maybe Paper Tiger's ears are burning...) 

I spent many man-weeks trying to get through the wonderful "Road to Dinas" CMSF campaign - even after having to restart earlier missions.  But, finally encountered a mission I replayed 10+ times and still couldn't get a win.

Edited by Erwin

11 hours ago, George MC said:

Even if there are multiple AI Plans for every mission in the campaign - you can't assume that a/ you'll pull a different AI Plan (as the chances of selecting a different AI plan are pretty random [...]

That's true, but even with only one AI plan, the designer can still build in a semi-random placement of enemies by painting setup zones. So there will still be an enemy bazooka team somewhere close to the first roadblock, but you won't know if they're in the house, in the little copse of trees, or sitting behind the low wall off to the right.

I really like that kind of replayability, so I hope more designers would use this feature.

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

That's true, but even with only one AI plan, the designer can still build in a semi-random placement of enemies by painting setup zones. So there will still be an enemy bazooka team somewhere close to the first roadblock, but you won't know if they're in the house, in the little copse of trees, or sitting behind the low wall off to the right. 

+1