Antony Beevor's view on War Films

On 6/28/2018 at 2:55 PM, Bulletpoint said:

Hmmm.. are you part of the Viking subculture here?

Nope, no matter if you mean the "reenactors" or the Asetrú (even though I know a few people in the communities)
I am just generally interested in the era and have read exensively about it.

21 hours ago, Sublime said:

Ah ty I couldnt remember his name.

His wiki is interesting. apparently he was a gunner on b29s in the PTO, flew 25 combat missions and received a purple heart.

Unfortunately it also says he passed away in 2003 from a multitude of things that are basically the result of old age and the poor health issues that seem to multiply once a serious illness is introduced.

When talking about movies in general - and Charles Bronson in  particular - I have to mention Once Upon a Time in the West.

Watch it, if you havent already done so: It is a masterpiece - one of the best movies ever made, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Tombstone and 3.10 to Yuma. My favorite westerns.

If you like westerns let me recommend The Good, the Bad, the Weird. It's a Korean western that takes place in the late 1930s in Manchuria. It''s about a thief, a hitman, and a bounty hunter searching for a Qing Dynasty treasure buried in the desert before the Japanese army finds it first. 

12 hours ago, Bearstronaut said:

If you like westerns let me recommend The Good, the Bad, the Weird. It's a Korean western that takes place in the late 1930s in Manchuria. It''s about a thief, a hitman, and a bounty hunter searching for a Qing Dynasty treasure buried in the desert before the Japanese army finds it first. 

Saw the trailer and its a total rip off and spoof of Leone's film complete with music style and a three way gunfight.  Could be fun...

On 6/26/2018 at 11:48 PM, MikeyD said:

One thing that war movies taught me is if you're faced with a German machinegunner behind a sandbag wall eventually he will stand up, clutch his chest and fall forward, the sandbags collapsing beneath him. My source: SPR, The Dirty Dozen, and innumerable episodes of ''Combat' and 'Rat Patrol'. Wouldn't it be funny if the most 'factually accurate' war film turned out the be 'Catch-22'? ^_^

'Reenactor' type movies tend to be deadly dull. The war (whichever war) is meant to be the backdrop to a proper human story, not the story itself. Technical accuracy, whether in U-boats, tanks, aircraft, or swordplay is the added spice that flavors the dish.

Look out for Catch 22 the series. Courtesy of George Clooney.

10 hours ago, para said:

If you like westerns check out Bone Tomahawk. 

As it happens I've watched it a couple of weeks ago. Story is a bit far fetched, but good action and with Kurt Russel you can't go wrong. It ain't no 3.10 to Yuma though.

Let's also not forget the oldies, especially James Stewart. The Man from Laramie! Winchester 73! My big hero when I was a little kid. Couldn't get enough of playing Cowboy and Indian. 😀

Edited by Aragorn2002

9 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Let's also not forget the oldies, especially James Stewart.

9 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

The Man from Laramie! Winchester 73!

And don't forget Bend in the River. I watched that as a kid. It was my first awareness of Jimmy Stewart of many.

Michael

As this seems to have derailed into a western movie thread (I take part of the blame), I will recommend a few (dollars) more: 

Unforgiven - by and with Clint himself.

Deadwood - brilliant HBO series.

The Revenant - unconventional and gruesome.

12 hours ago, umlaut said:

As this seems to have derailed into a western movie thread (I take part of the blame), I will recommend a few (dollars) more: 

Unforgiven - by and with Clint himself.

Deadwood - brilliant HBO series.

The Revenant - unconventional and gruesome.

From The Revenant it's only a small step to the greatest 'Western' ever: Last of the Mohicans!