26 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Next game will be Eastern Front 1942/43, I think. Stalingrad to Kursk. That would be the smarter choice. 

I can live with that as well.  Just move backwards with the timeline please.  I want to start giving BF my money again, it's been awhile.

p.s. I am in for CMSF2, but I am not pitching for the modern stuff with my previous posts.

Edited by Blazing 88's

2 hours ago, Blazing 88's said:

CM Afrika Korps...  not even close.  Early war after that.  Loved 'TOBRUK' the AH board game way back when.  I have always had that WWII desert itch...  Just love that whole theatre (early to the end).

I quite much gave up, when “The legend begins“ was hyped and I could not really get into the game.

Nevertheless, I recently had to buy „No Retreat: African Front“. Just to get the series complete.😎 But the game has an interesting concept: It concentrates on the key areas and leaves the long stretches of sand in between aside.

7 hours ago, Blazing 88's said:

CM Afrika Korps...  not even close.  Early war after that.  Loved 'TOBRUK' the AH board game way back when.  I have always had that WWII desert itch...  Just love that whole theatre (early to the end).

I played "Tobruk" in late 70's to date myself, then "Squad Leader" and its gamettes in the 80's made  me forget Tobruk and finally ASL  came along before the days of computer games.  Remember a   certain scenario I think it was called " The clash of armor"  where a few Grant tanks tried to hold off a whole bunch of MK III  H and J panzers?  Fun times.   I always thought desert combat is interesting, not dull like most of the others think, it had a certain mystique for me. Well there's still  CMAK of the CM1 series, I have not played it in a while  though, seems like there was a bit of an immersion problem for scenarios with the "Flak 88" used in an anti tank role. They did not seem to be quite the devastating weapon in the game that  they  were for Rommel. 

Edited by J Bennett
Tidy up

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

Is that because AT guns are spotted too easy or because pretty much all the CMAK scenarios take place on maps with relatively short distances or something else you think?

The Borg spotting raining down instant death is most likely the culprit. AT guns were good for about one shot each before every thing on the map wailed the crap out of them. I don't think distance mattered much.

Mord.

3 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Is that because AT guns are spotted too easy or because pretty much all the CMAK scenarios take place on maps with relatively short distances or something else you think?

IIRC there was an issue with long range firing in the CM1 games - like over 1000m became very inaccurate for the 88mm.  Making the 88mm Elite might have helped.  I just don't remember...

What I enjoyed about CMAK was that you could create 8kmx4Km maps and enjoy a near operational level experience with a lot of mobile warfare and long range duels.  

What puzzles me right now is why folks are so excited about CMSF2 but not about a DAK game.  I have read comments that the terrain is boring etc.  But guys... they are both set in essentially the same terrain.  Deserts can have amazing terrain - it's not all flat and featureless as CMSF demonstrated.   

21 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Deserts can have amazing terrain...

Incredibly so, National Geographic every now and then will run a spread of photos taken from an ultralight over the Sahara and it really is amazing. I think Avalon Hill really put a curse on NA when they released Tobruk with a blank mapboard. I bought the game and when I opened the box my heart sank. I played a game or two but that is all. It was a great game system (except for an over-abundance of die rolls) and I would have loved to play it some more, but that map just drained all my enthusiasm for it away because I knew that that was not how the North African desert looked.

Michael

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, Baneman said:

Early war all the way, no contest. It easily trumps Fulda Gap for me too.

Light tanks, tankettes, armoured cars - AT rifles actually a threat, "doorknocker" 37mm AT guns, outmanoevering ( having to do so ) French Chars ( although they'd be half-blind ), British Matilda 1's and 2's, trying to knock out Matilda 2's with PzIV 75mm HE gun, rubbish air support - Fairey Battles bombing miles off target :huh:

( and you could use most of that equipment to do early desert war too, so there ... B) )

^^^

This.

Early War >> Afrika Korps

(Not that Afrika Korps would be bad; 1940 France, etc., would be better.)

8 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

YAWN!

I like you man I really do. But no one is gonna wanna play a niche game of darts n pints with Paddy and Monty outside of the UK.

(unless you got some clever gimmick like bullseyes giving u a dirty picture lol)

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

I like you man I really do. But no one is gonna wanna play a niche game of darts n pints with Paddy and Monty outside of the UK.

(unless you got some clever gimmick like bullseyes giving u a dirty picture lol)

Took time to understand the meaning of your text  but now that I understood, the point come you 😁

Edited by 3j2m7

4 hours ago, Sublime said:

You're right. As long as they enjoy talking about the pros and cons of Afrika Korps vs Early War, they'll be welcome in Paddy's Bar.

18 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

You're right. As long as they enjoy talking about the pros and cons of Afrika Korps vs Early War, they'll be welcome in Paddy's Bar.

But what about the fulda gap? or what if god forbid they do something like say whys monty so special he gets 2 cap badges or even commits heresy and dares suggest that Monty didnt really save the US in the Battle of the Bulge?

Im of irish ancestry* on both sides so Im assuming paddy has a hot tempter like me. things could get ugly.

My ancestors had some *cough* issues with the British in Ireland around spring of 1916 and somehow ended up in Boston by way of Nova Scotia. They were going to be deported soon and my great grandfather would probably have beem hung vecause his alleged fenian connections.. until WW1 he enlisted and our family got to stay. he survived but dived into a shellhole and got a lung full of mustard gas.

he died 5 years later from lung and throat cancer at the ripe age of 26. poor bastard. apparently was brewing beer in the bathtub to help with money.

(the other side was alrdy in nova scotia and contributed a daughter to come with my great grand pappy in boston and here i am)

Edited by Sublime