However noth are not that appealing to me.  with a near-future all out conventional and asymmetrical conflict set in the (Middle) Eastern, South America, and/or involve China. Yeah China would be awesome also great to access the not to be underestimated Chinese wargamer market.

Combat Mission: Rise of the Dragon :lol:

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

44 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Considering how much everyone is looking forward to CMSF2 - set in a desert environment, one would think that a Afrika Korps module would be a shoo-in...   It's basically CMSF but set in WW2.

I don´t think it is neccesarely the 'terrain' that makes CMSF2 appealing...It's more likely the oppertunities for some varied and cool scenario making that is the big seller here.....

Easy choice for me,early war May - June 1940.Lots of possibilities for scenarios,much more interesting than north Africa.But i dont think we will ever see that in cm,so i hoping the new steel panthers game will cover this period when it comes out.

Btw,anybody else looking forward to the new steel panthers?

North Africa

• more nations
  • longer duration
  • greater weapons (especially vehicle) development and evolution
  • broader and more diverse tactical situations
  • same game engine could support "Early War" battle packs (Poland '39, France '40, See Lion '41, and so forth)

4 hours ago, boekie said:

Easy choice for me,early war May - June 1940.Lots of possibilities for scenarios,much more interesting than north Africa.But i dont think we will ever see that in cm,so i hoping the new steel panthers game will cover this period when it comes out.

Btw,anybody else looking forward to the new steel panthers?

Oh yes! Although I believe it is currently billed as Steel Tigers.

Steel Panthers, when it first came out, was without peer. And it was originally supposed to have a we-go option which, sadly was dropped.

Maybe the new iteration will be we-go; I really hope so.

3 hours ago, James Crowley said:

Interesting that there seems to be greater support for science-fictiony, it-never- actualy-happened stuff rather than historical based scenarios.

Because there're tons of WW2 based games, including Combat Mission. Games like Shock Force or Black Sea are quite exhilarating because unlike WW2, the themes they represent haven't been overdone to death by the gaming industry. It's not even that they are fictional, I'd be equally happy for example with CM Yom Kippur. I think that there's a big market for the 80's based game, because many people grew up or even served in the military during that period. For some reason Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm become one of my favourite games on all times. I just can't get the same level of excitement anymore if it comes to WW2.

16 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

North Africa with a bullet.

I loved CMAK.  So many sexy tanks hosing off rounds at looooong range and missing...a lot.

40-42 in the desert had far more interesting vehicles than early war imho.

I think this is partly the dividing line. I love infantry combat in CM. Desert warfare is primarily an armor issue with a few occasions where that wasn’t the case. If you love armor then the war in North Africa is going to be really appealing.   If you are into infantry Rommel’s forcing of the Meuse and GD at Stonne are gonna be your thing. 

On 6/9/2018 at 12:33 PM, James Crowley said:

Interesting that there seems to be greater support for science-fictiony, it-never- actualy-happened stuff rather than historical based scenarios.

That isn’t quite fair. Every CM scenario is in fact a fantasy even if it is based around an actual historical event. You can not replicate a real battle with absolute fidelity in CM. **** happens in real life that does not happen in CM. 

The difference is more do I want to fight battles in WW2 equipment or with something from another era. CMSF is arguably as realistic as WW2 stuff if you are playing LLF’s Ramadi scenario, maybe even more so as the FoW aspect should be even worse in WW2. CMBS scenarios as well if you are using UKR forces.

now Fulda gap stuff sure completely hypothetical, but not sci-fi. Sci-fi is space lobsters of doom. 

On 6/8/2018 at 11:28 PM, sburke said:

Actually Fulda Gap is just a generic term.  What is the first campaign I'd like to see done in CM... errrr….. Group of Soviet Forces Germany - would be First Clash on the Canadian 4th Mech Bde Grp.  :D

Love that book

Yes 4CMBG. The expendable brigade. Where leopard 1's were king and blowpipes worked better than they really did. (My first posting, and we all read First Clash. We figured we were only meant to last 48 hours because the beer would be gone by then )

The question though is what year for Fulda gap. 

15 minutes ago, nik mond said:

Yes 4CMBG. The expendable brigade. Where leopard 1's were king and blowpipes worked better than they really did. (My first posting, and we all read First Clash. We figured we were only meant to last 48 hours because the beer would be gone by then )

The question though is what year for Fulda gap. 

Multi year kind of like CMRT:D  

8 hours ago, sburke said:

I think this is partly the dividing line. I love infantry combat in CM. Desert warfare is primarily an armor issue with a few occasions where that wasn’t the case. If you love armor then the war in North Africa is going to be really appealing.   If you are into infantry Rommel’s forcing of the Meuse and GD at Stonne are gonna be your thing. 

Good point.

12 hours ago, sburke said:

That isn’t quite fair. Every CM scenario is in fact a fantasy even if it is based around an actual historical event. You can not replicate a real battle with absolute fidelity in CM. **** happens in real life that does not happen in CM. 

The difference is more do I want to fight battles in WW2 equipment or with something from another era. CMSF is arguably as realistic as WW2 stuff if you are playing LLF’s Ramadi scenario, maybe even more so as the FoW aspect should be even worse in WW2. CMBS scenarios as well if you are using UKR forces.

now Fulda gap stuff sure completely hypothetical, but not sci-fi. Sci-fi is space lobsters of doom. 

I agree with you that CM "historical" scenarios are, at best, a close approximation, although a lot of **** happens to me when I play them!

I just like the fact that you can "measure", so to speak, historically based scenarios by reading up on them. Something you can't do with scenarios that never happened.

45 minutes ago, James Crowley said:

I agree with you that CM "historical" scenarios are, at best, a close approximation, although a lot of **** happens to me when I play them!

I just like the fact that you can "measure", so to speak, historically based scenarios by reading up on them. Something you can't do with scenarios that never happened.

What about ww2 scenarios that never happened, but could have happened if a certain unit would have been at a certain place at a certain time? I did for example tremendously enjoy the CMBN campaign about a fictional Allied landing in the Pas de Calais area instead of Normandy. Or what would have happened if the LVI. Panzerkorps wouldn't have been transferred from Hrs. Gr. Mitte to Hrs. Gr. Nordukraine shortly before Bagration in the summer of 1944? Some interesting possibilities for several thrilling scenarios come to mind.

Personally I love that sort of fictional/historical scenarios.  Panzer Campaigns always use to add several of those to their games. By changing certain parameters anything (tactically speaking) can happen.

@Sequoia  Yes.  I don't know the ratio but I think there were still many more M60A3s and M113s compared to the Abrams and Brads.  I was in the 82nd and we still had the Sheridan tank and were getting lots of Humvees delivered.  Our battalion still had 1/4 tons (jeeps).  :D

Edited by MOS:96B2P

On 2018-06-08 at 10:39 PM, Mord said:

Well, it's damn near unanimous! If given the choice between Afrika Korps and Early War Europe,  Fulda Gap would win!

LOL Actually given the choice between the two I'd pick all three. :)

On 2018-06-09 at 5:09 AM, Ithikial_AU said:

Africa or early war? Both.

Exactly