7 hours ago, SgtHatred said:

Apple's contempt for gaming is strong as ever I see.

+1

I suppose the below quotes from the article are basically the reason.  They are trying to force developers to use their product which does not support cross platform use.  

Games and graphics-intensive apps that use OpenGL should now adopt Metal. Similarly, apps that use OpenCL for computational tasks should now adopt Metal and Metal Performance Shaders."  Apple introduced Metal, its proprietary low-level 3D graphics API, in 2014.

The internet and technology was supposed to make everything compatible.  But, corporations are increasingly forcing consumers into "families" or "silos" of products.  Eg: My SONY TV and DVD and Sound Bar does not work well with anything other than Sony Channel.  MS makes it harder to use other browsers etc...  

Maybe something good will come of it.

While I have no love for Apple, I hope the dwindling support for OpenGL will finally convince Battlefront that it might be a good business case to move on to a modern graphics platform, thus finally getting a chance to solve many of the graphical issues such as flickering shadows, uneven shading of tiles in fog, etc. that are currently not fixable because of poor support for OpenGL.

Well, that won't happen till CM3.   

Am hoping that eventually the complex of CM2 game families will evolve into a CM3 where they all "talk" to each other and we can have one game with add-ons and end up with something like the CM1 games - where one could play any era in the WW2 without have to load different games and go thru the increasingly complex upgrade and patch process.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Well, that won't happen till CM3.   

Am hoping that eventually the complex of CM2 game families will evolve into a CM3 where they all "talk" to each other and we can have one game with add-ons and end up with something like the CM1 games - where one could play any era in the WW2 without have to load different games and go thru the increasingly complex upgrade and patch process.

Like DCS or Graviteam Tactics? That would be awfully convenient, wouldn't it? The only issue is that the overall complexity of the software would increase. Which means potentially more hard-to-fix bugs. I'd still like to see that, but it would take a lot of man hours to implement/maintain.

How do you play CM with only one mouse button? 

Speaking of OpenGL and Unix-based stuff... Debian CM? I would very much like that. Maybe even re-purchase a few titles.

16 hours ago, SgtHatred said:

Apple's contempt for gaming is strong as ever I see.

Regrettably they have always had a rather swinish attitude towards gaming, and that is hard to understand given the size of the gaming market. I would have assumed that the Mac could easily be developed into an ideal gaming platform, but Apple seems to believe that that is beneath them. How dumb.

Michael

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

It's possible that they Apple has conceded the gaming market to the PC and don't want to compete in a market where they may not shine.

Apple would never concede an inch to PC. They also never support a product that they perceive will compete against themselves. Its likely they are looking at the new Metal platform.

I feel an Apple IIGS rage coming on....Arghh! About 30 years ago the Apple IIGS came out, best computer at the time fully backwards compatible with Apple II and used new OS and even 3.5 disks. Apple cut production and support after 2 years. Imagine owning a $3500 boat anchor in 1988. The reason: Apple thought it competed against their own Macintosh. In reality the majority of GS owners moved on to x286 PC's. 

That's Apple ;)  great now my skin is turning green and my shirt is ripped.

Edited by nik mond

Well, I for one am already prepared to keep my iMac in play as a second display when the time comes to upgrade so I can keep playing CM2...

But I figure I can keep High Sierra going for a while as long as Apple does security updates...

Apple. What a mess they have made- but for the iPhone and iPad. Even the iMac is a decent utilitarian device, though pricey- but if my 70 year old parents can use it, they must be doing something right in the UI department. So they aren't failing on every front. But...

Powerful Mac desktops are increasingly a lost cause. People that have traditionally used them for work (like myself) are scrambling to figure out what to do about the years wait to see how they will screw up the next next MacPro (the trash can one is indeed garbage). I don't take kindly to the removal of modularity/DIY options in the weirdly pricey high-end MacPro models. I built a monster PC for map making a year ago, and it was half the price of my MacPro trashcan that I almost never use now. And so much faster for any gaming. Even other work (Adobe stuff and Maya, mainly).

Maybe they will turn it around, but they seem to have given up on power desktops, but they just can't seem to admit it to themselves as a company yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a convertible touch screen laptop PC as a replacement for my iPad 2. I enjoy it much more than the iPad. I found I could replace most of my Apple Apps with windows ones.

With an optional digital stylus and wireless mouse, I paid half of what I would have for a new iPad with a keyboard and Apple Pen. Also with the PC laptop I can run full programs and games.