Update on Engine 4 patches

3 hours ago, HerrTom said:

I agree. I love Andrey though. He's clearly passionate about what he does.

WRT the patch. My guess is it's going to release during my wedding or honeymoon this month, such that I won't be able to play for half a month! :D That's how these things go, right?

So the release date on your first module is Jan 2020? 😉 Congratulations mate.

WRT the patch. My guess is it's going to release during my wedding or honeymoon this month, such that I won't be able to play for half a month! :D That's how these things go, right?

What better time than to establish with your new bride that she has married both HerrTom and Combat Mission and should expect that between 10 and 40 hours per week will be dedicated to small unit actions? 

in your place I will not take any risk, I will not marry !!!

2 hours ago, Ales Dvorak said:

Is this a good thing?

1 hour ago, patrykd said:

better than waiting one year in case of CM

LOL neither situation is good. If you are putting out two patches a month you are not spending your time creating new features or content. Especially on a small team.

Extended delays are not good for customer morale though. Finding a middle path is they way to go.

This thread is 19 pages long when it could've been simply a series a monthly posts from Steve outlining a road map with a simple date associated to each entry. The closer releases could even narrow it down to a day with the farthest ones to a simple year.  Like...

CMSF2 Canadian Campaign --- May 15, 2019

CMSF2 UK Campaign --- July 1, 2019

Patch CMBN   --- July 15, 2019

CMFI  Module - Rome to Victory --- Spring 2020

CMRT Module --- 2021

Lock the thread so we don't need to parse 19+ pages of off-topic posts. Do the introduction/PR work describing products in other thread elsewhere.

As someone said to me recently - it ain't rocket science and this isn't the 90's where customers are unaccustomed to the ways of computers. People nowadays appreciate a little transparency.

Personally, I don't want constant monthly patches. I prefer releases that are thoroughly vetted and ready when BFC says it's ready. I just don't understand how hard it is to simply assign (a made up)  date estimate to each entry in your already published product roadmap and auto-post the first of every month.

Anyhow, let's get back to this constructive thread where we eat our young...

I hear you about the 19 pages.

Every time I see the ‘Holy blue dot of new posts’ appear I think this must be BFC posting about the actual patch instead of random banter I find instead. 

That does not please the Refresh Monkey God! 

I firmly believe this is the actual reason of the long wait.

So, please stop posting here gentlemen! Unless your offering to the Refresh Monkey God of course.

Edited by Yskonyn

7 hours ago, IanL said:

LOL neither situation is good. If you are putting out two patches a month you are not spending your time creating new features or content. Especially on a small team.

Extended delays are not good for customer morale though. Finding a middle path is they way to go.

Actually, most of those patches usually have a new feature or two.  And they put out a pretty good sized "module" every couple months.  In a few years they have delivered two full games, Mius Front and Tank Warfare, and about 15 modules between the two games.  A very large number of units, maps, features, campaigns, and OOBs have been released.  This is while constantly patching to fix bugs, adjust features based on player feedback, and add new features.  They are very good and quick in responding to customer feedback with changes.  And the Steam system makes patching and updating very simple.

The game is not perfect.  Its maps are large, but much more limited than CM's.  No map maker is available.  A more limited number of unique AFVs than CM because of the limited timeframe.  Its probably more comparable to CMFI and its modules in breadth of content.  Even though I play Steel Beasts and Graviteam a lot more than CM now.  I still come back to CMBN, CMSF2, and CMBS because of the regions and time covered.  And the big one for me in CM's favor is the hotseat capability.  In the end, its what keeps me coming back to CM.

In fact, if anyone wants to play North Africa, I would suggest getting Tank Warfare.  Its the same engine as Mius Front, but covers part of the NA campaigns.

I prefer to think of the coming engine 4 code as an "update" rather than a "patch". To me a patch implies things getting fixed

where an update is more like improving and enhancing. But wait... maybe the next update will fix certain things. If it does then its probably a

"patch" But if it fixes and enhances and improves what is it?  Maybe a patch-update-enhancer with special properties. Whatever it is.

I know I will like it.

21 hours ago, Yskonyn said:

I hear you about the 19 pages.

Every time I see the ‘Holy blue dot of new posts’ appear I think this must be BFC posting about the actual patch instead of random banter I find instead. 

You can follow forum member "Battlefront" to get an email notification as soon as he posts something new. AFAIK he is the only one to announce updates or releases. 

This planned patch is rather troublesome it seems. Though I figure; Shock Force 2 seems to play very well, so the good AI code is right there since november last year, ready to go into the other games, whatever that may take...

20 hours ago, Kevin2k said:

This planned patch is rather troublesome it seems. Though I figure; Shock Force 2 seems to play very well, so the good AI code is right there since november last year, ready to go into the other games, whatever that may take...

The delay has given me a chance to catch up in other areas of my life. I have two kids it turns out! Who knew??

3 hours ago, absolutmauser said:

The delay has given me a chance to catch up in other areas of my life. I have two kids it turns out! Who knew??

Probably those anchor babies that latch on to unsuspecting wargamers caught up in the fog of war. Sneaky bastards. Shows you the importance of proper recon.

On 4/9/2019 at 8:40 AM, absolutmauser said:

Sehr gut! We need them to reinforce the depleted pixeltruppen!

The allies have suffered a series of critical mechanical failures that have crippled the firepower of their squads! Now is the time for a counter attack --

Oh, no. The're not in their trenches -- they panicked!

Edited by DerKommissar

On 4/10/2019 at 2:30 PM, DerKommissar said:

Sehr gut! We need them to reinforce the depleted pixeltruppen!

The allies have suffered a series of critical mechanical failures that have crippled the firepower of their squads! Now is the time for a counter attack --

Oh, no. The're not in their trenches -- they panicked!

bbR3SIU.jpg

On 4/6/2019 at 11:11 AM, absolutmauser said:

What better time than to establish with your new bride that she has married both HerrTom and Combat Mission and should expect that between 10 and 40 hours per week will be dedicated to small unit actions? 

Oh, definitely small unit actions. Wait, in CM? Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be her cup of tea. Maybe I can convince her yet...

Thanks for the kind words everyone!