Siege of Jadotville

Erwin

Found this interesting 2016 movie on Netflix.  Set in the Congo in early 60's it's about an Irish UN company doing a "Rourke's Drift" defense vs hordes of African and French ex Legionaire mercs.

It's interesting to see weapons of that era - Vickers, Brens, Lee-Enfields and what I think are FN's plus some SMG's I couldn't ID.

Re the sniping capability of the Bren, a scene depicts the Irish talented sniper exchanging his scoped Enfield for an iron-sighted Bren to take a particularly long range shot.  Apart from the first 15 minutes of set-up once the battle starts it's pretty continuous. 

It also depicts the less than courageous decisions of Conor Cruise O'Brien and the ill-fated Dag Hammarskjold, (then SecGen of the UN).   Recommended.

It's not "Saving Private Ryan" or "Apocalypse Now".  But, it's entertaining to watch and glad I did so as it was a bit of history I didn't know much about.  

The first 15 minutes as the film "establishes" characters etc is slow like the start of "We Were Soldiers..." but just like that Mel Gibson film, it picks up when they get to the Congo.

8 hours ago, Erwin said:

Found this interesting 2016 movie on Netflix.  Set in the Congo in early 60's it's about an Irish UN company doing a "Rourke's Drift" defense vs hordes of African and French ex Legionaire mercs.  

Cool.  I just read some books on the Congo and 5 Commando.  I'll have to watch this.  Thanks for posting it.  +1

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Well thank you, Sir.  I am now the proud owner of said book, Kindle version.  +1

Let me know what you think. :)

I also got it for the kindle. I spent part of the day today sort, moving and arranging my physical books. Not enough walls for more bookshelves in the house! :lol:

Yes, quite fascinating piece of African history.

"It is a pity that we, who never believed in the use of force, must suffer for the blunders of little dictators and stupid military leaders...We did not come here to shoot Africans, we came to help them...I was not prepared to let my brave men die for nothing." - Comdt Patrick Quinlan, Jadotville, September 1961

15 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

Let me know what you think. :)

I also got it for the kindle. I spent part of the day today sort, moving and arranging my physical books. Not enough walls for more bookshelves in the house! :lol:

Reminds me to an old German joke. Can‘t remember it straight, but the bottom line was:

„It‘s not difficult to have many books. But who will lend you the shelves?“

🤔🙂😆

• 9 months later...