CMFI Rome to Victory Bones

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

However, not so much with aircraft or tanks :  Matilda, Covenanter, Valentine, Locust...  Martlet, Fairey, Blackburn Skua, Percival Proctor...

Disagree. Using the names of birds such as the Martlet, Fulmar, Skua, Roc, Gannet are great ways (esp those that are seabirds) to name your naval fighter aircraft. Likewise using the names of fish such as Swordfish, Barracuda, Albacore, Tarpon are great ways to name your torpedo bombers. It's almost poetic. And in another point in our defence we have not as far as am aware named any aircraft Fairey that's just an aircraft manufacturer. Should have stuck with the names Martlet, Gannet and Tarpon rather than going and adopting the yankee names.

5 hours ago, sburke said:

I should caveat that, The Royal Navy used to be really good with names.  Now just their Subs and Destroyers have cool names.  Frigates and Carriers not do much.  Iron Duke is pretty cool though.

Using same names now that have always been used on ships. So if they used to be good names then for what reason are they no longer good now?

Edited by Oliver_88

9 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Yeah, I especially didn't like it when they started naming all the attack carriers after Presidents and members of Congress.

Amen. That is just pure corruption and ass kissing. "You want a ship named after you? Vote for our next appropriation."

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

6 hours ago, Oliver_88 said:

Using same names now that have always been used on ships. So if they used to be good names then for what reason are they no longer good now?

Which I think is a really cool tradition.

8 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

There's even a town in Canada called Ajax after the ship. And the street names are taken from the crew's surnames.

Cool I had no idea - looked it up. Thanks

15 hours ago, sburke said:

You can't really go wrong with a name like Achilles.  Hell the namesake ship was involved in running down Graf Spee.  In the company of Ajax no less.

And the town of Ajax was so named in part due to the ship's participation in that battle. Or so Wikipedia says.

7 hours ago, Oliver_88 said:

It was a reference in that many of the names are historical figures.  The names I like are the more mythical and for lack of a better word “active”. Broadsword, Defiant, Glorious, Courageous etc.  the new carrier being Queen Elizabeth.... meh. 

As a point of reference I am a big fan of Alexander Kent novels. So names like Hyperion, Impulsive, Lysander etc just make for really cool ship’s names. 

Edited by sburke

Hopefully this question wont be ridiculous.   I have only played a couple of the Campaigns and then decided to do quick battles with a buddy.  Noticed there was Northern Italy and Waffen SS selections but you can not select them.  Is this in preparation basically for the upcoming addition of Rome to Victory.... LOL I really wanted to fight in Northern Italy.  Just thought it was weird seeing the selections.  It was like getting slapped on the wrist!  NO... you cant go there.. LOL

Edited by GhostRider3/3
:)

2 hours ago, GhostRider3/3 said:

Is this in preparation basically for the upcoming addition of Rome to Victory

Yep. I believe some of that stuff was added in the 4.0 upgrade. There were even some blank text files labeled French, Brazilian, South African and Indian names in the 2.0 brz.

Mord.

6 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

I would like to know that if field divisions are coming, the HG will get a second look.

That's a good question. Also me, I'm wondering if german troops in North Italy will keep theirs tropical uniforms or if they will dress more 'feldgrau style' equiment (...maybe M44 uniforms???).

I talked to some of my friends who dabble in reenacting and such.  They said that Tropical uniforms would have been issued to semi-permanent forces in that theater, or those that had been established in that Theater for some time.  They also said that the Divisions inbound to the Italian Theater would not have been issued the Tropical gear, with exception to units stationed or assigned to North Africa, Southern France, Italian, Greek  regions.  The uniform changed a bit,  by mid 1941 they did away with the twill and substituted it for Cotton, these uniforms were slightly greenish in color and faded to sage green brown of sorts (The twill tropical)  Luftwaffe tropical were more yellowish Khaki in color and were vastly different from the Heer Tropical.  As far as camouflage in the Italian theater they would of had access to Italian camo and Heer standard. I guess someone would have to look at Divisional photo's or records to see if the inbound Divisions would have been issued Tropical.  My guess is probably not if they were rapidly deployed.  Perhaps some of the units could have picked up Tropical Uniforms if they had stores of them in supply.  So maybe mixed??  Not sure this was just a simple discussion with a friend over the phone.

Edited by GhostRider3/3
spelling

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

The news is we're now back at work on Rome to Victory as our primary task.  Game Engine 4 patches are also in the works and you'll see those fairly soon as they're already being tested.  RT Module is in active development, but no ETA yet.  Probably sooner than you think, but not sooner than you'd want :)

Steve

That's good news, cheers!

23 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

The news is we're now back at work on Rome to Victory as our primary task.  Game Engine 4 patches are also in the works and you'll see those fairly soon as they're already being tested.  RT Module is in active development, but no ETA yet.  Probably sooner than you think, but not sooner than you'd want :)

Steve

Sorry, but what is the RT module?

In hindsight I should have known that RT was Red Thunder.  I don't have Red Thunder.  Thanks for the replies.  Since Red Thunder covers the last year of the war I would be  more interested in the earlier years of the eastern front.  I am surprised Battlefront isn't working on that or a North African game like they had in the original Combat Mission series.  However, I am very much looking forward to Rome to Victory.  In my opinion, the current Combat Mission series is the gold standard for computer tactical warfare.

The plan that lead to Red Thunder and finishing the war came form the realization that it would be less work to create a game covering the end of the war first since they already had a lot of the German vehicles modelled. Back then Steve articulated the plan that each year of the Eastern front would be a game with a module or two and that BFC would create said games in reverse order. So, earlier years are definitely on their road map. None of that has been specifically announced yet though.

CanuckGamer, I am also wanting the earlier years and N Africa.  but RT is really, really fun.  The russians have good gear and are very good at making war by 1944.  I am doing my first campaign as russians and it's great.  The germans have MG42s, but russians have more men.  So suppress supress supress & assault!   As the germans, it's a case of great gear but not enough of anything. 

then end of the war should have hungarian winter campaigns, which were large, very intense combined arms operations with both sides both on offense & defense.  Looking forward to that.