The state of CMSF2

9 minutes ago, McMortison said:

Let's pick up this discussion again:-).

Today it's the 20th of September. According to the announcement the game and demo should arrive befor the end of month.

No offence, but this would be the ideal time to clarify if it will happen or not.

To be perfectly clear, I am not "bashing" nor cursing. My F5 key is getting worn down and would be nice to know if I can keep my old keyboard or if I need a new one :-).

Cheers

Sven

+1

1 hour ago, McMortison said:

Let's pick up this discussion again:-).

Today it's the 20th of September. According to the announcement the game and demo should arrive befor the end of month.

No offence, but this would be the ideal time to clarify if it will happen or not.

To be perfectly clear, I am not "bashing" nor cursing. My F5 key is getting worn down and would be nice to know if I can keep my old keyboard or if I need a new one :-).

Cheers

Sven

I'm pretty sure the plan is to miss the date and then make fun of you for trusting their judgement, again.

@StgHatred as non-native English speaker, I must admit I don't know if your replay is intended to be funny or sarcastic.

If it's the first, I am sorry but I don't get the joke, if it's the second I fail to understand why.

A informed customer is a happy customer (at least hear in Switzerland) - even if the info isnt so good

17 minutes ago, McMortison said:

@StgHatred as non-native English speaker, I must admit I don't know if your replay is intended to be funny or sarcastic.

If it's the first, I am sorry but I don't get the joke, if it's the second I fail to understand why.

A informed customer is a happy customer (at least hear in Switzerland) - even if the info isnt so good

I'm being sarcastic, and I agree with you.

8 minutes ago, markus544 said:

Well it's now Friday September 21st.  74 years on the forth day of Operation Market-Garden.  The Allied only serious defeat of the war.  Just thought I would mention that.  Anyway September is almost over and still no demo to keep us occupied.  What's up with that.

Only serious defeat besides Dieppe, Crete, France, Norway, Battleaxe...

Time to start up your Market-Garden campaigns. xD

Well's that right Dieppe did rather suck for the Rangers and the Canadian units who were soundly thumped the Germans..The UK units on Crete lost but the German paratroopers for all their elan got their asses kicked, but they won a pyrrhic victory which basically ended any further major landings by them. As for France well...enough said in modern war a fixed defence as maginot line was more part of the 1st world war than the 2nd which spelled France's major defeat.  Also Dunkirk which was an allied victory of sorts when they were managed to evacuate some 300,000 british soliders.  I really did not clearly understand why the Germans did not go all out to smash them, but they did not do so and they paid dearly later on.

9 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Only serious defeat besides Dieppe, Crete, France, Norway, Battleaxe...

...Gazala, getting thrown out of mainland Greece while losing a lot of men and much of their heavy equipment, Senegal...and then there was Malaya, Hong Kong, Singapore, Burma, the Philippines, the Dutch East Indies (as they were called at the time) and a whole bunch of lesser islands in the Pacific. The Allies suffered a whole series of serious defeats and there was good reason they were worried. And I haven't even mentioned the Eastern Front.

Michael

On 9/21/2018 at 12:13 PM, markus544 said:

I really did not clearly understand why the Germans did not go all out to smash them, but they did not do so and they paid dearly later on.

I have heard a lot of theories why. The most convincing was Nazi politics. Goering decided the RAF was a joke and he could just take out any evacuees from the air. At the time of the evacuation, the German breakthrough was succeeding all expectations. Another theory is that they were purposefully let go, in order to act as a bargaining chip. Hoping to encourage a truce after Battle of France. 

On 9/21/2018 at 9:51 PM, Michael Emrys said:

...Gazala, getting thrown out of mainland Greece while losing a lot of men and much of their heavy equipment, Senegal...and then there was Malaya, Hong Kong, Singapore, Burma, the Philippines, the Dutch East Indies (as they were called at the time) and a whole bunch of lesser islands in the Pacific. The Allies suffered a whole series of serious defeats and there was good reason they were worried. And I haven't even mentioned the Eastern Front.

Michael

Aye. Almost the entire Empire was lost just prior to Barbarossa. The Battle of Britain was won, yet the Germans were still bombing at night. Victory was the exception, unlike during '44 with Market Garden. I think they kinda lost their nerve with the success of Normandy.

36 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

Another theory is that they were purposefully let go, in order to act as a bargaining chip. Hoping to encourage a truce after Battle of France. 

This was the one I was taught in the UK (or Great Britain as it was then known).  Makes sense that massacring helpless troops on the beaches could have had a negative effect if Hitler was hoping that the Brits would join him in his crusade.  Many royal family (like the former king) and aristos were not so secret Nazi admirers and there was plenty of reasons that the Nazis could have hoped for a new ally.

10 minutes ago, Erwin said:

This was the one I was taught in the UK (or Great Britain as it was then known).  Makes sense that massacring helpless troops on the beaches could have had a negative effect if Hitler was hoping that the Brits would join him in his crusade.  Many royal family (like the former king) and aristos were not so secret Nazi admirers and there was plenty of reasons that the Nazis could have hoped for a new ally.

It's also not mutually exclusive to the Goering theory, or the theory that the ground forces needed relief. Most likely it's all three. Yeah, they pushed to get Churchill, who they guessed was Chamberlain 2.0, to take a seat and split up the booty. They just won WW1 in a few months, who'd think Churchill would have a go at it?

1 hour ago, DerKommissar said:

I have heard a lot of theories why. The most convincing was Nazi politics. Goering decided the RAF was a joke and he could just take out any evacuees from the air. At the time of the evacuation, the German breakthrough was succeeding all expectations. Another theory is that they were purposefully let go, in order to act as a bargaining chip. Hoping to encourage a truce after Battle of France.

Regarding Dunkirk, I wonder whether no one realized how quickly the Cockleshell navy of civilian boats could complete the evacuation.  Once the Allies were pinned at Dunkirk and the Kriegsmarine was effective at disrupting Royal Navy beach side operations, I think the Luftwaffe thought it had more time to marshal bombs and organize aircraft flight missions.  Then the civilian evacuation support stole a march on the German plans and left the beaches empty when the Luftwaffe was ready.  It was very chaotic for all sides involved.

36 minutes ago, markus544 said:

Then the demo is really nothing more than CMSF1 demo just updated?   I just thought it would something  new...silly me.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think he actually meant that by already playing Combat Mission Shock Force 1 he got enough "demonstration" and not that the CMSF2 demo is the same as the CMSF1 demo back then.

Edited by Mattis
redudancy