The state of CMSF2

19 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

I was playing the as delivered SF1 campaign missions using the SF2 executables.

Good to hear that unmodified missions seem to work without mission-breaking issues. Thanks for the input.

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

Anyone willing and able to tell us if there was any significant change to the Marine campaign? I.e  will CMSF 2 have working amphibious vehicles and will the Marines start offshore.

And what shore bombardment capability did the US Navy have in 2008 ?

This is why Steve doesn't generally start these threads.  :D

You know we can only answer so much due to NDA and Steve can't stop to answer several pages of questions.  Yeah it is like getting an appetizer only to find out dinner isn't for an hour and you've eaten nothing else all day....

The short answer is we're not reshaping the scenarios or campaigns into something they weren't originally designed to do.  What we are doing is massaging the elements that don't work as well, in particular trenches/foxholes, certain TO&E stuff, and general game balancing. 

One of the things we have to keep in mind here is that a good portion of the CMSF1 stuff predates many major improvements made in subsequent CMSF1 releases.  For example, Enhanced LOS was introduced somewhere around v1.05.   Think of all the stuff that's come in since then!  On top of that the scenario/campaign guys were still cutting their teeth because, well, because everybody was in learning mode!  Many of the scenarios you've played in recent CM games have 5-10 years of experience working magic.

What I'm trying to say here is we're doing the best we can to spruce up and smooth out issues with the original content short of ditching it all and starting over again.  Across the 100+ scenarios I'm sure results will vary somewhat battle to battle even if the overall experience is very positive.

That aside, I can say for sure that any old scenario or campaign, no matter who made it, will load in CMSF2.  Whether it will play great right without modifications or not... no idea :D

Steve

37 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Across the 100+ scenarios...

This reminded me of a long held but often forgotten wish of mine. One day in the future is it possible to have the scenario selection screen reflect a bit more info up front as you scroll through and filter for the scenario you are after. (Without needing to click on each item to view additional details. Something similar to the old CM1 days. It was just that bit easier to scroll through when deciding what type of battle you wanted to fight based on size, nationality, number of turns etc.

And I never knew GOG sold CMBO. Things you learn. :P

a7ad803fede6ae68d2ceea290a1d62cfc7e6772b

Better grab your lawyers 'cause I am pretty sure it's been on there for years.

EDITED: The oldest review post for CMBO goes back to 2009.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

16 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

That aside, I can say for sure that any old scenario or campaign, no matter who made it, will load in CMSF2.  Whether it will play great right without modifications or not... no idea :D

Steve

This of course is the key to happiness...even though some of them may not be PERFECT, just the sheer volume will keep things interesting for a long time.

And who knows, maybe for some of the most popular, maybe their creators will be inspired to buff them up....:lol:

Reminds me of when I bought the CDV version of CMBB in Orlando at a Comp USA, back in 2002 or so. Your retail deal, if I remember correctly, was only supposed to be for Europe. I came on here and mentioned I bought it in a store and (I think it was) Madd Matt who was like "WHAT?!!!!"

Mord.

Edited by Mord

8 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Oh, I'm sure it started off legal.  We had a publishing agreement with Strategy First ages ago to hawk some of our aging games.  That's long since expired so none of those arrangements are valid any more.  Sometimes people don't get the memo ;)

Steve

Hmm, reviewing that memo with your counterpart there over a friendly business lunch appears to me as a serendipitous opportunity for some unexpected revenue this quarter.  :ph34r:

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, Sequoia said:

In reality, in the Shock Force 2008 Syrian Invasion scenario as posited by Battlefront I would think the ability of the Syrian Air Force to get through to carry out an airstrike would be quite low. It wasn't until the NATO module that the feature in the game was even added IIRC. Perhaps BF just decided to do it as it was easy to code. :)

I once suggested scenario makers could use the Syrian Air Force units to represent contributions by former Warsaw Pact, now NATO, countries to the war effort as they were still flying some of the same planes back then.  :)

That's how I use 'em.....With all due respect, I believe that the position of many scenario designers, myself included, could be summed up as '**** the official storyline!'. 

What we are mostly interested in is whether we can use the units provided to create other storylines, all of our very own.  ;)

Blue Hinds FTW!  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Well treating things as if it were a real war adds to the immersion to me. I once did an OOB for all NATO forces involved. One can and people have created scenarios for other conflicts using CMSF as I'm sure almost everybody knows.

For me personally, the introduction of the Ammo Dump option, is problematical.  :unsure:

I'd been using a manual 'dismount 'em & delete 'em in the editor' technique to cross-crew a variety of wheeled vehicles, but in the newer game engine this isn't possible....The vehicles turn into Ammo Dumps.  :(

As it stands the older game will still be the better option for modelling alternative storylines, almost none of the core unit files I've created will work in the new engine.....No more HMMWVs for ISIS, for instance.  :o

LlwprX5.jpg

No US personnel are in any of these HMMWVs.....They came from a supply platoon, I deleted crews 1-3 in the editor and their CO is the 'Unused US Unit' (set to a post battle reinforcement slot).....Can this be done in the new engine?

Core file is here if you want to load it up in the new game (suspect what you will see is a large supply dump):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eilrls8vn9pzapo/ISIS Patrol Test.btt?dl=0

If it actually can be done, nobody will be happier than me.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

When you see the new headcovers (keffiyehs) you won't want to modify them ^_^

About updated scenarios, you may recall pre-water CMSF1 had to make due with erzats 'bridges' made out of wall elements and erzats 'rivers' made out of mud/marsh terrain. Not to mention stretches of sand representing a 'beach' with no associated ocean shoreline. You can see from the Beta screenshots posted that that's all been fixed. Though Steve did have to dampen (pun intended) enthusiasm for adding water with a reminder that this is a desert title. The location of a couple scenarios were shifted to 'along the Euphrates' to justify the water on the map.

I don't use many mods TBH, but those who do might suddenly find themselves facing M4 carbine wielding ISIS truck crews with suspiciously American sounding surnames, not to mention state of the art NVG under their keffiyehs!  :o

My hope is that the 'Dismounted' option might eventually be split into two options, 'Dismounted' (per Engine 2) and 'Supply Dump' (per Engine 4) thus giving us the best of both worlds (I'd assume the coding is all effectively done, it would just require another option).....I'd like to see this in all the titles TBH, that way my German deserters can drive around in GAZ jeeps & trucks without needing to take Russians along for the ride. 

This option would allow scenario designers to do some very creative stuff.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

24 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

When you see the new headcovers (keffiyehs) you won't want to modify them ^_^

I just peed a little! I was hoping they got a nice upgrade. Hope Steve throws up some screens of them soon.

Mord.

OMG, Mord I am also a maineah, I think BF Steve is as well. Every time I buy a CM title I have to pay state sales tax, couldn't figure it out until I had a technical issue with the site and he responded personally and we got to talking a bit. I am over by Bath, not too too far out of your neck of the woods.