The state of CMSF2

31 minutes ago, Mattis said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I think he actually meant that by already playing Combat Mission Shock Force 1 he got enough "demonstration" and not that the CMSF2 demo is the same as the CMSF1 demo back then.

Precisely. It would be cool to get some screenshots from the new demo of unique features not found in SF 1. But I hope the full game is released by then.

3 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Precisely. It would be cool to get some screenshots from the new demo of unique features not found in SF 1. But I hope the full game is released by then.

That's actually what we tried to do with all those screenshots Steve put up on the SF2 page. New vehicle textures, uniforms, terrain (maps are much nicer)..  

3 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

That's actually what we tried to do with all those screenshots Steve put up on the SF2 page. New vehicle textures, uniforms, terrain (maps are much nicer)..  

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

New vehicle textures, uniforms, terrain

I think we need to be aware that if one already has a heavily modded CMSF, then one may not notice much improvement.  The real improvement to expect is not graphics, but the updated features and resulting improved gameplay.

17 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Yep, it was great! I'm pretty pumped for it.

I really liked those gifs one of the testers posted.

Edited by DerKommissar

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018 at 5:53 PM, Battlefront.com said:

Huh?  This makes no sense.  You're angry with me because I don't want to string you guys along with dates pulled out of my backside, then make up more BS dates that I am not confident we can deliver upon just to appease demands for dates?  Or are you angry with me because I don't have magical powers?

Seriously, this is just another example of the futility of release dates.  If I post wrong ones we get skewered for not delivering on expectations those dates set.  If I post no dates we get skewered for not doing things which set expectations which we aren't sure we can meet.  Damned if we do, damned if we don't is a really unfair position to be in, but we accept that is the way things work. 

Given that we have to make a choice between being damned for setting up expectations that aren't met or damned for not setting up expectations, I think the right choice is the latter.  If someone wants to lay out a rational case for doing things differently, I'm all ears.

Steve

P.S.  one of the beautiful things about being an independent, self publishing game developer is we don't have any problem with someone tuning out for a year and then coming back to see what we have.  We don't have a 60 day window to make or break our future like other game companies.  So if people want to check back with us in a year because that works best for that person, it works fine for us too.  No pressure.

Huh? This makes no sense.

How did you jump to the conclusion that I was angry with you or anyone else? Sarcasm doesn't = anger. It means I'm tired of waiting for news from you guys and tired of waiting for new products to buy and I was tired of waiting over a year ago.

How did you decide that me and everyone else wants dates? I don't give a damn about dates. Developers can keep customers in the loop by simply letting us know what they're doing. Are you excited about something you're making? Sweet! Maybe tell us about it so we can be excited with you. Or just keep doing what you're doing and say absolutely NOTHING for over a year at a time. You're the first company I've ever seen admit that it doesn't see a problem with "customers tuning out".

How did you all make the decision that not engaging your customers at all for a year or more is perfectly ok and normal? People aren't asking for release dates. They're asking for information. Based on what devs show us, we can generally figure out about when something is coming or nearing completion anyway (because....they tell us....). Instead you've missed I think two "deadlines" (by the end of next month, twice). Instead of giving the date you can't make, just be like "guys we are getting very close to release we are just polishing X vehicle and TOE up and Fred drew boobs on all the tank textures when we sacked him so we gotta go fix those". Instead we get nothing at all.

You just updated the website to be in the new millennium. I'd suggest you update this keep everyone in the dark policy. This is the information age and we want information. Hell, even Games Workshop is doing a great job engaging customers nowadays. I love you guys half to death and appreciate what you do for our tiny niche community but what is literally happening here is people are yelling shut up and take my money and you're just shoving your fingers in your ears and going lalalalala i can't or don't want to hear you. Not cool, brother.

16 hours ago, Mannschaft said:

Huh? This makes no sense.

How did you jump to the conclusion that I was angry with you or anyone else? Sarcasm doesn't = anger. It means I'm tired of waiting for news from you guys and tired of waiting for new products to buy and I was tired of waiting over a year ago.

How did you decide that me and everyone else wants dates? I don't give a damn about dates. Developers can keep customers in the loop by simply letting us know what they're doing. Are you excited about something you're making? Sweet! Maybe tell us about it so we can be excited with you. Or just keep doing what you're doing and say absolutely NOTHING for over a year at a time. You're the first company I've ever seen admit that it doesn't see a problem with "customers tuning out".

How did you all make the decision that not engaging your customers at all for a year or more is perfectly ok and normal? People aren't asking for release dates. They're asking for information. Based on what devs show us, we can generally figure out about when something is coming or nearing completion anyway (because....they tell us....). Instead you've missed I think two "deadlines" (by the end of next month, twice). Instead of giving the date you can't make, just be like "guys we are getting very close to release we are just polishing X vehicle and TOE up and Fred drew boobs on all the tank textures when we sacked him so we gotta go fix those". Instead we get nothing at all.

You just updated the website to be in the new millennium. I'd suggest you update this keep everyone in the dark policy. This is the information age and we want information. Hell, even Games Workshop is doing a great job engaging customers nowadays. I love you guys half to death and appreciate what you do for our tiny niche community but what is literally happening here is people are yelling shut up and take my money and you're just shoving your fingers in your ears and going lalalalala i can't or don't want to hear you. Not cool, brother.

Amen!!

I only just started posting on this forum, but I agree with @Mannschaft - I got all excited about SF2, and now my interest is waning.

Actually  BF you could get some young person, not pay them much, to post updates and screenshots and stuff on this forum and other social media. Keep your core customers happy and inform potential new ones of this new product in development and hopefully to be released soon.... It's part of this Social Media marketing lark we hear so much about.

This would take the pressure off, and have a ROI.  Get more people to buy the game when it comes out.  Gazillions of other companies do this all the time about their products.  Why doesn't Battlefront?

"don't let other people's posts discourage you"

I don't think it's other people's posts that are discouraging - I think it's the general apathy and disdain with which Battlefront treats it's customers. In this day and age of instant communication it is ludicrous that news flow is almost non-existent. Having bought all the WWII games and all the add-ons, I am now at the end of my tether awaiting - in particular - the long-promised and yet still unprovided patch. I would suspect that many have already thrown in the towel and will not be returning. I may shortly be joining them.

42 minutes ago, Buck72 said:

I don't think it's other people's posts that are discouraging 

Oh that's not how I read it.

- I think it's the general apathy and disdain with which Battlefront treats it's customers.

LOL what are you talking about?  No need to answer since it is pretty clear your just trolling me.

In this day and age of instant communication it is ludicrous that news flow is almost non-existent. 

Just because one can spend thier time creating content for the instant communication industry doesn't mean that it is a good use of one's time or the most productive for moving the game forward.

2 hours ago, Buck72 said:

In this day and age of instant communication

That isn't necessarily a good thing.  Yeah people are used to it, but that does not by any stretch mean that is healthy. ;)  Personally I really dislike this whole instant gratification that goes on.  It becomes this very self centered "you should tell me because I want to know" as if someone is obligated to keep others up to date somehow just because it is possible.  I get that folks feel that as customers they want to know but just because technology allows a possibility doesn't actually mean that is good or productive.  And the level of communication that folks want is not uniform.

Now get off my lawn hippy.  :D

16 minutes ago, Raptorx7 said:

Yeah if a member of BFC spends 30 seconds making a post its going to hurt the company or delay the game another month.

You don't actually think that right? I legitimately cannot wrap my head around the thought process that led you to that.

Sure they could write a 30 second post, but it is unclear who would be satisfied by that and that a quick post wouldn't just lead to more.  The part that I can't wrap my head around is what exactly could they say in a 30 second post that would really make a difference.  "Yes the game is not out yet, we are still working on a number of issues."

Okay now if they wrote that, don't you already know that?  

Edited by sburke

57 minutes ago, sburke said:

Sure they could write a 30 second post, but it is unclear who would be satisfied by that and that a quick post wouldn't just lead to more.  The part that I can't wrap my head around is what exactly could they say in a 30 second post that would really make a difference.  "Yes the game is not out yet, we are still working on a number of issues."

Okay now if they wrote that, don't you already know that?  

Well...yes thats what everyone wants to hear.

Its just a matter of respect I guess, I'm not crazy like a few other people here who think Steve hates us. I just don't understand why they make everyone wait on the edge of their seats at the end of September without saying a word. Why not calm everyone down when you know its not going to happen?

Edited by Raptorx7

12 minutes ago, Raptorx7 said:

Well...yes thats what everyone wants to hear.

Its just a matter of respect I guess, I'm not crazy like a few other people here who thinks Steve hates us. I just don't understand why they make everyone wait on the edge of their seats at the end of September without saying a word. Why not calm everyone down when you know its not going to happen?

He actually does hate us, but Charles refuses to allow him to say so.  :D  

Seriously.  Steve has answered that in August but .. well  I guess folks just don't like the answer.  They are certainly entitled to that view.  I can't even say that I totally agree.  I am just used to it and I don't feel that them giving me an obscure statement that things are delayed is going to make me feel appreciably different.  And I don't agree that is what everyone wants to hear.  The statements about the communications folks want are not the same and some posters have been pretty explicit about clarifying that positions do vary.

Personally I am less interested in statements about release schedules than I am about direction and products.  That CMSF2 or anything else is x days/weeks etc past expectations is just something I take for granted.  Nothing against BF it is just the nature of projects and software.  What I would find more interesting is what is further down the road.  And I mean way further.  I am so psyched with CMSF2 that the next few module releases are just extras (that opinion may change as those move forward, but for now...).  I really love this title and family.  It is the sweet spot for me that CMBS doesn't quite hit.

Edited by sburke

3 minutes ago, sburke said:

He actually does hate us, but Charles refuses to allow him to say so.  :D  

Seriously.  Steve has answered that in August but .. well  I guess folks just don't like the answer.  They are certainly entitled to that view.  I can't even say that I totally agree.  I am just used to it and I don't feel that them giving me an obscure statement that things are delayed is going to make me feel appreciably different.  

Honestly I am less interested in statements about release schedules than I am about direction and products.  That CMSF2 or anything else is x days/weeks etc past expectations is just something I take for granted.  Nothing against BF it is just the nature of projects and software.  What I would find more interesting is what is further down the road.  And I mean way further.  I am so psyched with CMSF2 that the next few module releases are just extras.  I really love this title and family.  It is the sweet spot for me that CMBS doesn't quite hit.

My gripes are pretty minor but I do think they're important, however I completely agree and I can't freaking wait! 😃

Edited by Raptorx7

Sburke. I want to talk about what's way down the road for CMSF2 as well (I assume you meant CMSF2). I hope it will happen. It depends on sales I guess. Plus there are so many other titles now to compete for new content. Sorry for those on the CM: Afghanistan forums asking what it would take to get the license and update the game. It just ain't going to happen.

1 minute ago, Sequoia said:

Sburke. I want to talk about what's way down the road for CMSF2 as well (I assume you meant CMSF2). I hope it will happen. It depends on sales I guess. Plus there are so many other titles now to compete for new content. Sorry for those on the CM: Afghanistan forums asking what it would take to get the license and update the game. It just ain't going to happen.

Actually I was talking more in general.  I don't expect to see new material for CMSF.  As you noted there are just too many other competing projects.  There are at least 3 modules to bring CMFB, CMFI and CMRT to end of war.  I expect that progress on those will accelerate once CMSF2 is out the door.  I don't think folks realize just how big an undertaking CMSF2 was/is. It is far from a simple upgrade.  I expect that in the end there is almost nothing they didn't touch in some way.

16 minutes ago, sburke said:

Actually I was talking more in general.  I don't expect to see new material for CMSF.  As you noted there are just too many other competing projects.  There are at least 3 modules to bring CMFB, CMFI and CMRT to end of war.  I expect that progress on those will accelerate once CMSF2 is out the door.  I don't think folks realize just how big an undertaking CMSF2 was/is. It is far from a simple upgrade.  I expect that in the end there is almost nothing they didn't touch in some way.

This can solve the issue. All that needs to be done is hook Charles brain up to some others and the amount of coding that gets done daily is tripled. We just need a few volunteers to donate their brains so they can be placed in jars next to Charles.

https://www.sciencealert.com/brain-to-brain-mind-connection-lets-three-people-share-thoughts