The state of CMSF2

I am pretty new to this forum but must also admit that despite all the hardships that Battlefront must face as a small developer, certain aspects of their communication policy is somewhat that I personally wouldn´t commend.

I am fine with release dates that don´t get met, it is a hard thing to do to predict completion and future obstacles and we all surely don´t want Battlefront to lower their quality standards by leaving bugs unattended or by cutting features just to met the date, like many triple A devs do these days.

So normally it wouldn´t be a big deal for me when the first announcement date on end of July wasn´t achieved due to unexpected holidays of personnel. However I see no real excuse (feel free to correct me here) that we weren´t informed before the 31st of July. I am pretty sure that the information that end of July won´t see a release was available to the devs way earlier than that so why not take some seconds an post a simple: " Due to the temporal unavailability of crucial staff we unfortunately won´t see a release in End of July but still need some more weeks before release, we will keep you updated, thanks for your support." In my opinion this is the most obvious way to handle this situation. either way its definitely better than just letting a release date passing by with no communication at all.

Sure for me there was not much lost despite some wasted time doing bf website checks for release info. However I still perceived this behavior as somewhat disprespectful.

I am certainly sure many will disagree here with this perception with is totally fine so please don´t flip the master arm already and lets keep things civil. Especially because I still support Battlefront as one of the few developers bringing us one of the most authentic wargames ever made and wish them best luck with the upcoming release.

Mattis 

1 hour ago, Mattis said:

I am pretty new to this forum but must also admit that despite all the hardships that Battlefront must face as a small developer, certain aspects of their communication policy is somewhat that I personally wouldn´t commend.

OK

1 hour ago, Mattis said:

I am fine with release dates that don´t get met, it is a hard thing to do to predict completion and future obstacles and we all surely don´t want Battlefront to lower their quality standards by leaving bugs unattended or by cutting features just to met the date, like many triple A devs do these days.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Mattis said:

So normally it wouldn´t be a big deal for me when the first announcement date on end of July wasn´t achieved due to unexpected holidays of personnel. However I see no real excuse (feel free to correct me here) that we weren´t informed before the 31st of July. I am pretty sure that the information that end of July won´t see a release was available to the devs way earlier than that so why not take some seconds an post a simple: " Due to the temporal unavailability of crucial staff we unfortunately won´t see a release in End of July but still need some more weeks before release, we will keep you updated, thanks for your support." In my opinion this is the most obvious way to handle this situation. either way its definitely better than just letting a release date passing by with no communication at all.

Sure for me there was not much lost despite some wasted time doing bf website checks for release info. However I still perceived this behavior as somewhat disprespectful.

? I am quite certain no disrespect was meant, intended or expected to be felt. I am sorry you *choose* to feel that way :)

1 hour ago, Mattis said:

I am certainly sure many will disagree here with this perception with is totally fine so please don´t flip the master arm already and lets keep things civil.

WHOOP, WHOOP, WHOOP. Oh wait you said don't flip the alarm. OK consider it turned off :D

1 hour ago, Mattis said:

Especially because I still support Battlefront as one of the few developers bringing us one of the most authentic wargames ever made and wish them best luck with the upcoming release.

+1

You did a wonderful job in commenting every part of my comment that wasn´t that significant but somehow missed the keystone:

"I am pretty sure that the information that end of July won´t see a release was available to the devs way earlier than that so why not take some seconds an post a simple: " Due to the temporal unavailability of crucial staff we unfortunately won´t see a release in End of July but still need some more weeks before release, we will keep you updated, thanks for your support." In my opinion this is the most obvious way to handle this situation. either way its definitely better than just letting a release date passing by with no communication at all. "

What are your thoughts on this?

Mattis

Edited by Mattis
typos

4 minutes ago, Mattis said:

You did a wonderful job in commenting every part of my comment that wasn´t that significant but somehow missed the keystone:

"I am pretty sure that the information that end of July won´t see a release was available to the devs way earlier than that so why not take some seconds an post a simple: " Due to the temporal unavailability of crucial staff we unfortunately won´t see a release in End of July but still need some more weeks before release, we will keep you updated, thanks for your support." In my opinion this is the most obvious way to handle this situation. either way its definitely better than just letting a release date passing by with no communication at all. "

What are your thoughts about this?

Mattis

Personally I think Steve should stop posting release dates because he always gets them wrong and is then creating the situation for folks looking for an update on information he provided.  :P 

What might be better if he just pinned a thread that allowed no responses and he put target dates in that thread and then updated them when he knew they weren't realistic and he should be vague - CMSF2 early fall 2018 for example

7 minutes ago, sburke said:

What might be better if he just pinned a thread that allowed no responses and he put target dates in that thread and then updated them when he knew they weren't realistic and he should be vague - CMSF2 early fall 2018 for example

Pretty much the solution and way of handling things I had in mind   

20 minutes ago, Mattis said:
32 minutes ago, sburke said:

Pretty much the solution and way of handling things I had in mind 

Or just skip dates all together and say: "We are currently working on or planning the following projects X, Y and Z. We plan to release them in that order." No dates at all - we just know what is next and what is coming sometime after that.

Edited by IanL
clarifying

In March, I preordered a game called Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2. It's a sequel to a shiny game, based on a well known IP and published by Focus Home Interactive on Steam. The release date, on their store page was September 2018 -- beta would be available one month prior for preorders. As the year moved from spring through summer, people in the community started predicting release date -- as there was no communication from the devs since January. Some said the beta would be released in late September -- game being released in October. These were worst case scenario based on info from the dev, publisher and Steam.

As September began, we got an update from the dev. This included a minute trailer and an announcement that they pushed back release to January 2019.

On these forums people often bring up stories about better release dates/communication. The truth is that most of the industry treats their customers much worse, often using communication to purposefully deceive them. Striving for better is always great, but it's also important to appreciate what you do get. You can be getting a broken, unifinished and lackluster game from a company that spends millions on publicity. Demos that are absolutely unrepresentative of the product are industry standard now.

One word: Star Citizen.

As far as CMSF2, well, I know I've been busy. ;) I can't say on what, exactly. But, there is a possibility that I've found a bug...a crushing bug...and that I've nurtured it, sequestered it, and kept it away from BFC's prying eyes. The day Steve announces on the internal private channels that CMSF2 is about to go live the next day...I may reveal this bug. The delay will be...delicious.

Bwah.

Bwah, hah.

Bwah, hah, hah!!!!

(These are the things that amuse me. :) )

C'mon: it -was- kinda funny.

On 9/6/2018 at 2:34 PM, Mattis said:

[...] Sure for me there was not much lost despite some wasted time doing bf website checks for release info. However I still perceived this behavior as somewhat disprespectful. [...]

Mattis 

First, nothing wrong with a critical while civil discussion. I consider your post as civil 🙂 

What I find interesting though, is how you come to feel disrespected because you had to check for yourself that the game didn't release in July. You even agree that not much was lost, just the activity of checking the website. 

On 9/6/2018 at 8:18 PM, DerKommissar said:

In March, I preordered a game

[...]

On 9/6/2018 at 8:18 PM, DerKommissar said:

Demos that are absolutely unrepresentative of the product are industry standard now.

I think there might be an interesting connection between those two quotes :) 

Better to wait till they actually release the real game, download the demo, and see for yourself how the game is - then decide to buy it or not.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, sburke said:

Personally I think Steve should stop posting release dates because he always gets them wrong and is then creating the situation for folks looking for an update on information he provided.  :P 

This, exactly.....The next (& only) thing I want to hear from @Battlefront.com on the subject of CM:SF2 is the 'Heads-Up' for forum members announcing the title is live.  Don't want or need updates (I have CM:SF so I know what I'm getting), couldn't care less about demo versions, they just irritate me because I want the whole game, nothing less. :mellow:

PS - If you're bored.....Open the editor.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The next (& only) thing I want to hear from @Battlefront.com on the subject of CM:SF2 is the 'Heads-Up' for forum members announcing the title is live.  Don't want or need updates (I have CM:SF so I know what I'm getting), couldn't care less about demo versions, they just irritate me because I want the whole game, nothing less. :mellow:

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:58 PM, c3k said:

I've found a bug...a crushing bug.

Somebody call 'The Roach'!   :o

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:23 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Wanna guess how many game demos I've downloaded in the last two decades?  ;)

Just remembered I did download the CM:A Demo IIRC.....I wanted to try a modern CM title out, had it a day or so, bought the full game & all of CM:SF too.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Let's pick up this discussion again:-).

Today it's the 20th of September. According to the announcement the game and demo should arrive befor the end of month.

No offence, but this would be the ideal time to clarify if it will happen or not.

To be perfectly clear, I am not "bashing" nor cursing. My F5 key is getting worn down and would be nice to know if I can keep my old keyboard or if I need a new one :-).

Cheers

Sven